• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The contributions of the sciences to Religion

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The sciences are routinely used within contemporary Paganisms, which shouldn't be surprising consider many flavors of Paganism basically worship or honor aspects of the natural world (and the sciences study this). For my own Paganism in particular, I incorporate the sciences in understanding my gods more than mythic lore of historical Paganisms. Anything and everything in the sciences is relevant to my religion, as it all relates to the gods.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think parapsychological researchers/scientists have added tremendously to my understanding of the universe beyond the physical plane and I am grateful for that.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I think parapsychological researchers/scientists have added tremendously to my understanding of the universe beyond the physical plane and I am grateful for that.
1. There is no such-a-thing as a "parapsychological researchers/scientist"

2. The real question should be: "How often has science contributed to knowledge through the falsification of religious dogma?"

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I can give you a string of names but what's the use.
No use. You can run the list from Alvarado to Zingrone and you'll not find a single case of scientifically documented parapsychological phenomena. That's one of the things that makes the Bill Murray line, as Dr. Peter Venkman: "Back off, man. I'm a scientist!" so damn funny.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
The contributions of the sciences to Religion is the freedom from much ignorance, many things that were once believed by the backward thinking religions, are now shown to be what they truly are.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Sciences have nothing to contribute to religion as it is a different domain where sciences are deaf/dumb/blind.
Regards

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Everybody is welcome to give one's valued thoughts here.
Regards
One main, overarching contribution is the better understanding of the universe, identifying claims in scripture that were either wrong or not meant to be taken literally. We aren't the center of the universe, we aren't even the center of our solar system. The earth is spherical. Chances are, life is not limited to this planet. Etc.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Sciences have nothing to contribute to religion as it is a different domain where sciences are deaf/dumb/blind.
Regards
You are dead wrong on this one. The responses thus far prove this to be true. Actually, one word (one aspect of the sciences) proves you wrong ... Medicine.

Skwim

Veteran Member

Regards

Dripless candles
Flush toilets
Automatic Coffee makers
Audio amplification systems
Printed Sunday bulletins
Parking stripes in parking lots
Good, solid roofing
Heating and air conditioning systems
etc
etc

Just to note; religion consists of more than beliefs, prayers, wailing, and snake handling. It's houses of worship are an integral part of the religious enterprise.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
1. There is no such-a-thing as a "parapsychological researchers/scientist"

2. The real question should be: "How often has science contributed to knowledge through the falsification of religious dogma?"
You're a very wicked man.
But there actually have been parapsychological scientists.
Our military hired them, but then abandoned the efforts because they never found anything.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Dripless candles
Flush toilets
Automatic Coffee makers
Audio amplification systems
Printed Sunday bulletins
Parking stripes in parking lots
Good, solid roofing
Heating and air conditioning systems
etc
etc

Just to note; religion consists of more than beliefs, prayers, wailing, and snake handling. It's houses of worship are an integral part of the religious enterprise.
It is not part of religion. Agnosticism may use them freely, if they like, no compulsion however, whatsoever. Please
Regards

Skwim

Veteran Member
It is not part of religion. Agnosticism may use them freely, if they like, no compulsion however, whatsoever. Please
Regards
So you don't believe houses of worship are an integral part of the religious enterprise. Okay. Then all I have to say is that it's funny how much time, expense, and effort goes into them. Buildings dedicated to only one thing: the religious recognition and worship of god.

e4dc9afe1867689b4600c54a5f3d3792.jpg
sobor_3.jpg
0_b5244_6399caee_orig.jpg
10.jpg

AndromedaRXJ

Followers of various religions and superstitions nitpick at scientific facts and findings that support their closed-minded world view while ignoring scientific facts that go against it. Does that count?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
@ Skwim
We Muslims don't necessarily need a specific building to pray in. I had been praying in congregation for many years with my community members on plain ground without a structure at all. It is only to escape from the vagaries of weather that one may feel convenient to have a structure to pray in.
Regards

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Science can be overwhelming for some, so they attend religious group therapy sessions, eg church or friday prayers, so others can tell them how to think.

Cheers