• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The contest between Islamists and secularists in Turkey

Sahar

ISTANBUL – With the slogan "Target 2023," the Turkish prime minister’s Justice and Development Party (AKP) is poised to win a third straight term in power in parliamentary elections on Sunday thanks to enduring economic and political stability.

"For middle and lower classes, (Prime Minister Recep Tayyip) Erdogan represents economic and political stability, which the opposition seems unable to sustain," economist Ahmet Insel told Agence France Presse (AFP) on Saturday, June 11.

On Sunday, 50 million Turks are going to cast their ballots for the general elections in which fifteen political parties with 7,492 candidates and 203 independent candidates are running for the 550 seats of the parliament.
Opinion polls and local analysts predict a high chance for the Turkish ruling AKP headed by Prime Minister Erdogan to beat rival parties and win its third consecutive term.

Setting an example of marrying Islam and democracy, Turkey managed to establish itself during the past years as a rising power with a vibrant, free economy and a US ally that aspires to join the European Union.

In power since 2002, the AKP was accused of hiding a secret Islamic agenda, a charge they fiercely deny as scaremongering.

"If we did have a hidden agenda this would be the best kept secret on earth because people have seen us in action for the past nine years," Egemen Bagis, Turkey's minister for European affairs, told Reuters on Saturday.

Under the AKP, hijab was seen as a regular scene in Turkish urban streets as surveys show more women wear headscarves.

Some say the call to prayer from mosques is louder under AK.

The government has also made alcoholic drinks more expensive while trying to introduce tougher laws on sale and consumption, particularly to discourage young drinkers.

Facing such changes, opposition CHP accuses Erdogan of intolerance and of leading a "wiretapping government" to keep political rivals in check.

Erdogan, a devout Muslim who does not drink or smoke, denies his party is imposing any lifestyle choices.
"I may have established a position in my own word, my own family, against alcohol. We are a conservative democratic party," he said in a recent interview.
“Our personal position on some issues is clear but imposing our personal approach on the whole of society is repression.”
Erdogan Poised For Third Term - Europe - News - OnIslam.net

I like you Erdogan! Hoping for the AKP victory!

What will this mean for non-Muslims in Turkey? He says that imposing his views on society would be repression but I can see clear difficulties in ensuring that Islam isn't imposed onto the non-Islamic population, mainly unintentionally. Will people of other religions and no religion but free to live their life as they wish?

Also why is this and your post about Syria in the Islamic DIR? Both are issues which concern those outside of Islam.

Sahar

What will this mean for non-Muslims in Turkey? He says that imposing his views on society would be repression but I can see clear difficulties in ensuring that Islam isn't imposed onto the non-Islamic population, mainly unintentionally. Will people of other religions and no religion but free to live their life as they wish?
Don't you know that the AKP is in authority since 2002? Don't you know that Turkey is a secular country? Don't you know that Muslim women are banned from wearing headscarves in state institutions (and even non state institutions)? Don't you know that the AKP government worked to lift the ban but the Turkish Constitutional court supported the ban and annulled the reformation that aimed at lifting the ban?
Also why is this and your post about Syria in the Islamic DIR? Both are issues which concern those outside of Islam.
I don't think it makes a big difference for these thread to be in or outside the Islam DIR. However, I believe they concern Muslims mainly. We might start a similar thread outside the DIR, if you are interested in having a conversation about a topic like this for example (but what it seems to me is that you have no knowledge about it in the first place).

Last edited:

Sahar

I think this is interesting:

Erdoğan has made it clear a number of times that he wants to make major changes to the 1982 constitution. However, the details of possible changes have not been discussed by the prime minister, the only one he has referred to during the election campaign being the establishment of a form of presidential system. In what manner such a transformation might occur remains a mystery for many. Whether it will be possible to make these amendments depends entirely on the number of the AKP MPs after the election.
The AKP will need to have at least 330 MPs for any constitutional amendment to be made with a national referendum and at least 367 MPs to achieve this without a referendum. According to the latest polls it is highly unlikely that the AKP will get 367 MPs. Irrespective of the numbers, however, the constitutional amendments proposed and the manner in which they will be made show us that a democratisation challenge awaits the AKP.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/

Don't you know that the AKP is in authority since 2002? Don't you know that Turkey is a secular country? Don't you know that Muslim women are banned from wearing headscarves in state institutions (and even non state institutions)? Don't you know that the AKP government worked to lift the ban but the Turkish Constitutional court supported the ban and annulled the reformation that aimed at lifting the ban?
I don't think it makes a big difference for these thread to be in or outside the Islam DIR. However, I believe they concern Muslims mainly. We might start a similar thread outside the DIR, if you are interested in having a conversation about a topic like this for example (but what it seems to me is that you have no knowledge about it in the first place).

You didn't answer my question regarding the implications of this for non-Muslims. I am aware that Turkey is a secular country there is no need to be insulting. It does make a difference posting within a DIR because it imposes limits on what non-Muslims can say as it can't be seen as being critical of Islam.

Sahar

You didn't answer my question regarding the implications of this for non-Muslims. I am aware that Turkey is a secular country there is no need to be insulting. It does make a difference posting within a DIR because it imposes limits on what non-Muslims can say as it can't be seen as being critical of Islam.
LOL!!
If you are interested and want to be critical of Islam in any subject, you can start threads in the debates section. No one is preventing you. :)

As for your question, I see that your question has no place in todays's Turkish politics for the reason that it's not the first time for AKP to win the elections and rule. Secondly, Secularism of Turkey is untouchable there.

Last edited: