• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The concept of superstition

Looncall

paarsurrey said:
"Looked from the point of view of an atheist, even atheist who swears there is no Godhas superstitions on some level."

Isn't "there is no God" also a superstition, please?

The Atheism people have no positive facts to prove that "there is no God".
Do they, please?
Regards

Not necessary in the absence of facts that prove there is a god.

QuestioningMind

In Islam all superstitions are strictly forbitten.

But it is very difficult for the human mind to be absolutely devoid of superstitions.

Looked from the point of view of an atheist, even atheist who swears there is no God has superstitions on some level.

Can one draw a clear line between faith in God and superstition?

Does your religion condemn superstitions? Feel free to quote scriptures.

What superstitions do you imagine I have?

GoodbyeDave

To call something a superstition usually means that (1) you disbelieve it and (2) you despise those who do. However important ones opinions may be to ones nearest and dearest, they are unlikely to interest many others!

Faithofchristian

Definition of superstition. 1a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation. b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition.

As a fear of the unknown, Atheists well say there is nothing after a person dies, But yet no one has died and come back,
a week a month, a year, to give account whether there is or whether there's not anything after a person does.
So how can anyone say there's nothing after death?
If they do say there's nothing after death,
How do they know this absolutely positively for sure. Seeing no one has died and come back to give account of the Unexplained, Unknown ?

So with all of this, The Unknown stands there As The Unknown. Unexplained.

Superstitious describes a belief in chance or magic. If you're superstitious, you may avoid walking under ladders, spilling salt, or etc---?
Superstitious of the Unexplained Unknown.

May 28, 2014 · According to dictionary.com a superstition is a belief that is "not based on reason or knowledge."

Without Reason or Knowledge, of the Unexplained, Unknown, The Unknown stands there without reason or knowledge.

All because no one has ever died to come back after death, a week, a month, a year,
To give Reason or knowledge of the Unexplained, Unknown.

So the Unknown stands there waiting for it's next victims to cross over into the Unexplained, Unknown ?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But it is very difficult for the human mind to be absolutely devoid of superstitions.

Looked from the point of view of an atheist, even atheist who swears there is no God has superstitions on some level.

Yes. Some of us believe in people giving blessings. Some believe the workings of the earth in a more blessed point of view. Some people believe in god but each person has their own definition and how they relate to it if they do believe in god. Some people don't believe in the supernatural at all and others are soaked in it.

InvestigateTruth

When religion contradicts science, that is superstitious.

I quote from Abdulbaha:

All religions of the present day have fallen into superstitious practices, out of harmony alike with the true principles of the teaching they represent and with the scientific discoveries of the time. Many religious leaders have grown to think that the importance of religion lies mainly in the adherence to a collection of certain dogmas and the practice of rites and ceremonies! Those whose souls they profess to cure are taught to believe likewise, and these cling tenaciously to the outward forms, confusing them with the inward truth.
Now, these forms and rituals differ in the various churches and amongst the different sects, and even contradict one another; giving rise to discord, hatred, and disunion. The outcome of all this dissension is the belief of many cultured men that religion and science are contradictory terms, that religion needs no powers 144 of reflection, and should in no wise be regulated by science, but must of necessity be opposed, the one to the other. The unfortunate effect of this is that science has drifted apart from religion, and religion has become a mere blind and more or less apathetic following of the precepts of certain religious teachers, who insist on their own favourite dogmas being accepted even when they are contrary to science. This is foolishness, for it is quite evident that science is the light, and, being so, religion truly so-called does not oppose knowledge.
We are familiar with the phrases ‘Light and Darkness’, ‘Religion and Science’. But the religion which does not walk hand in hand with science is itself in the darkness of superstition and ignorance.
Much of the discord and disunion of the world is created by these man-made oppositions and contradictions. If religion were in harmony with science and they walked together, much of the hatred and bitterness now bringing misery to the human race would be at an end.
Consider what it is that singles man out from among created beings, and makes of him a creature apart. Is it not his reasoning power, his intelligence? Shall he not make use of these in his study of religion? I say unto you: weigh carefully in the balance of reason and science everything that is presented to you as religion. If it passes this test, then accept it, for it is truth! If, however, it does not so conform, then reject it, for it is ignorance!
Look around and see how the world of today is 145 drowned in superstition and outward forms!
Some worship the product of their own imagination: they make for themselves an imaginary God and adore this, when the creation of their finite minds cannot be the Infinite Mighty Maker of all things visible and invisible! Others worship the sun or trees, also stones! In past ages there were those who adored the sea, the clouds, and even clay!
Today, men have grown into such adoring attachment to outward forms and ceremonies that they dispute over this point of ritual or that particular practice, until one hears on all sides of wearisome arguments and unrest. There are individuals who have weak intellects and their powers of reasoning have not developed, but the strength and power of religion must not be doubted because of the incapacity of these persons to understand.
A small child cannot comprehend the laws that govern nature, but this is on account of the immature intellect of that child; when he is grown older and has been educated he too will understand the everlasting truths. A child does not grasp the fact that the earth revolves round the sun, but, when his intelligence is awakened, the fact is clear and plain to him.
It is impossible for religion to be contrary to science, even though some intellects are too weak or too immature to understand truth.
God made religion and science to be the measure, as it were, of our understanding. Take heed that you neglect not such a wonderful power. Weigh all things in this balance. 146
To him who has the power of comprehension religion is like an open book, but how can it be possible for a man devoid of reason and intellectuality to understand the Divine Realities of God?
Put all your beliefs into harmony with science; there can be no opposition, for truth is one. When religion, shorn of its superstitions, traditions, and unintelligent dogmas, shows its conformity with science, then will there be a great unifying, cleansing force in the world which will sweep before it all wars, disagreements, discords and struggles—and then will mankind be united in the power of the Love of God.

Bahá'í Reference Library - Paris Talks, Pages 141-146

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Definition of superstition. 1a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation. b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition.

As a fear of the unknown, Atheists well say there is nothing after a person dies, But yet no one has died and come back,
a week a month, a year, to give account whether there is or whether there's not anything after a person does.
So how can anyone say there's nothing after death?
If they do say there's nothing after death,
How do they know this absolutely positively for sure. Seeing no one has died and come back to give account of the Unexplained, Unknown ?

So with all of this, The Unknown stands there As The Unknown. Unexplained.

Superstitious describes a belief in chance or magic. If you're superstitious, you may avoid walking under ladders, spilling salt, or etc---?
Superstitious of the Unexplained Unknown.

May 28, 2014 · According to dictionary.com a superstition is a belief that is "not based on reason or knowledge."

Without Reason or Knowledge, of the Unexplained, Unknown, The Unknown stands there without reason or knowledge.

All because no one has ever died to come back after death, a week, a month, a year,
To give Reason or knowledge of the Unexplained, Unknown.

So the Unknown stands there waiting for it's next victims to cross over into the Unexplained, Unknown ?

Atheism has nothing to do with the afterlife. So, a person who does not believe in the afterlife would have no reason to ask about it. We are born, we age, and we die. If we cannot accept that, we make superstitions to help us deal with not existing anymore. People do it all the time; their belief in god is irrelevant.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That "there is no God" is the pertinent fact. Facts are believed. How would it represent a superstitious belief?
"there is no God" is a positive expression/claim, they never give any reasonable proofs about it. In this sense it is just their superstition.

Regards

Faithofchristian

Atheism has nothing to do with the afterlife. So, a person who does not believe in the afterlife would have no reason to ask about it. We are born, we age, and we die. If we cannot accept that, we make superstitions to help us deal with not existing anymore. People do it all the time; their belief in god is irrelevant.

Care to explain what happens after death.
As I didn't say Atheists had anything to do with the after life.

So we die, then what ?
What proof do you have, that all we do is die, what happens after dieing, and if by chance you saying nothing, Where's your proof, seeing how no one has died to come back to give account of the Unexplained, Unknown ?

As I said, no one has any proof of the Unexplained, Unknown, seeing how no one has died after a week, a month, a year, to come back and explained the unknown.

Last edited:

Remté

"there is no God" is a positive expression/claim, they never give any reasonable proofs about it. In this sense it is just their superstition.

Regards
I just don't think that fits the definition of superstition. It might be convenient if it did, but the word begun to be used long ago and it has an established definition (mind you, I'm not absolutely certain of its boundaries - this is just my opinion).

Remté

I wonder if a very small child - that doesn't understand life ends - can have superstitions..

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't like the negativity. Throws your points off.
Care to explain what happens after death.

As I didn't say Atheists had anything to do with the after life.

Looking back. I didn't mention I knew anything about the afterlife in the reply you quoted.

We don't know about the afterlife so no one, both believers of after life and non believers of afterlife can say we know based on whatever we believe.

I was replying to this #65:

Being an atheist has nothing to do with belief in an afterlife.

Rather, I said it goes on both sides those who do believe in an after and those who do not. No one has came back so how would any of us who believe and don't believe say they know?

So we die, then what ?

What proof do you have, that all we do is die, what happens after dieing, and if by chance you saying nothing, Where's your proof, seeing how no one has died to come back to give account of the Unexplained, Unknown ?

That's it. We're dead. Our soul/personality is alive when our brain is. Our spirit/what makes our body function, dies when our body dies. Our sense of self, our spirit, is the perception of the mind not an individual state of being. So, we die. Nothing more.

Why would we ask the question unless there is a philosophical reason or curiosity? Why take it into consideration?

As I said, no one has any proof of the Unexplained, Unknown, seeing how no one has died after a week, a month, a year, to come back and explained the unknown.

I don't see where this relates to my reply.

I did create another post and deleted it (I think that's the one) so you may be referring to that? I don't know.

I'm more of a reflective person. That's why I ask questions. It's not meant to challenge you just your beliefs.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Regards
Superstition is belief that inexplicable things that happen are attributable to god, fate, or magic. Atheists don't attribute that "there is no god" to god, nor to fate, or magic.

Faithofchristian

I don't like the negativity. Throws your points off.

Looking back. I didn't mention I knew anything about the afterlife in the reply you quoted.

We don't know about the afterlife so no one, both believers of after life and non believers of afterlife can say we know based on whatever we believe.

I was replying to this #65:

Being an atheist has nothing to do with belief in an afterlife.

Rather, I said it goes on both sides those who do believe in an after and those who do not. No one has came back so how would any of us who believe and don't believe say they know?

That's it. We're dead. Our soul/personality is alive when our brain is. Our spirit/what makes our body function, dies when our body dies. Our sense of self, our spirit, is the perception of the mind not an individual state of being. So, we die. Nothing more.

Why would we ask the question unless there is a philosophical reason or curiosity? Why take it into consideration?

I don't see where this relates to my reply.

I did create another post and deleted it (I think that's the one) so you may be referring to that? I don't know.

I'm more of a reflective person. That's why I ask questions. It's not meant to challenge you just your beliefs.

Upon my talking to Atheists will say there is nothing after dieing, but then my question is, As to how do Atheists knows this for sure .seeing that no one has died for any amount of time, whether it be a week, a month or a year.

Now as for the spirit, what proof do you have that the spirit dies when we die.

Seeing no one has died, to come back to prove anything about an afterlife.

Here's what you said above -->( That's it. We're dead. Our soul/personality is alive when our brain is. Our spirit/what makes our body function, dies when our body dies. Our sense of self, our spirit, is the perception of the mind not an individual state of being. So, we die. Nothing more.)

So my question to you is how do you know this for sure, seeing that no one has died to come back to tell or say as to what happens after dieing.

What your saying, is the same thing I get from talking to Atheists, That's it we're dead, but how do you this for sure, what proof do you have,
Seeing the scientific world can't prove one way or another what happens after dieing in the Unexplained, Unknown.

So what proof do you have that the scientific world doesn't have.

Maybe you should get a hold of the scientific world and let them know, that you know what exactly happens after dieing.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Superstition is belief that inexplicable things that happen are attributable to god, fate, or magic. Atheists don't attribute that "there is no god" to god, nor to fate, or magic.
Does one mean that unreasonable belief or unbelief is not superstition, please?
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A quick story. At the time (and now) I did not think of god. In 2013, my grandmother passed away. I didn't have a chance to see her even though I had a gut feeling (some say god?) warned me something was wrong. She died of cancer. It took me a year of grief and another year or so angry.

My aunt died January 6th 2018. She is and was my best friend. I only mourned severely half a year. Still in grief but now I can talk about it.

Lastly (but many experiences in between), I had to replace my "pacemaker-like" battery. So, they knocked me out to perform surgery last year. They asked: "do I want partial awareness or full black out" I said blackout. The weird thing is, I was not aware at all. If someone were to cremate me, I would have never known it. Then I asked, how does my heart stopping, brain deteriorating, as well as my body all of the sudden make an afterlife compared to when everything was functioning but I was still not aware?

In other words, how does the condition of my body affect whether there is an afterlife or not?

I had a revelation. When you are partially aware, you're still alive. When you are deteriorating, brain and all, you are not. The "soul" should exist in both cases. It does not. NDE are altered consciousness not life after death experiences.

So, after all this if you read it please, I figure, there is no afterlife. I would be fooling myself it there were. Acceptance is better. It's the end of grief and whatever I leave behind is my afterlife. God not included.

Upon my talking to Atheists will say there is nothing after dieing, but then my question is, As to how do Atheists knows this for sure .seeing that no one has died for any amount of time, whether it be a week, a month or a year.

.....so....

I don't know why some of us say there is no life after death. For me, it has nothing to do with belief in god. Buddhist believe in rebirth of the self until the self is completely gone. Hindu believe in god and reincarnation and such. So, there is always a sense of an afterlife whether it's a black and white/here then there or a continuum of being until one meets union.

It's basically awareness, revelation, and experiences. Kind of like a "now I know" a acceptance that there is nothing not knowledge there isn't. In other words, knowledge isn't important. We accept. We have insight. We don't define the Self whose experiencing these things.

I only came upon needing-to-know among christians. Most everyone else really don't care insomuch to talk about it outside their own selves and/or peers.

My question: Why is it important for you (in general) to know?
Why is proof important for you?

Now as for the spirit, what proof do you have that the spirit dies when we die.

Belief in god, for example, isn't about proof. In Christianity, specifically, it's about faith. You have faith in something exists without proof that it does by sight.

It's the same thing. We don't have knowledge. We have faith/trust based on our direct experiences whether spiritual or not. In other words, the question is irrelevant.

But to answer your question, we don't know; we don't have proof.

Why consider it as true when there is nothing to give us any reason to ask the question?

Seeing no one has died, to come back to prove anything about an afterlife.

Here's what you said above -->( That's it. We're dead. Our soul/personality is alive when our brain is. Our spirit/what makes our body function, dies when our body dies. Our sense of self, our spirit, is the perception of the mind not an individual state of being. So, we die. Nothing more.)

So my question to you is how do you know this for sure, seeing that no one has died to come back to tell or say as to what happens after dieing.

It was interesting after my experiences above.

The soul is said to be our identity or sense of self. When you have different mental illnesses sometimes that dilutes your sense of self. If it were separate, one would notice their mental health experiences apart from them. In other words, if the soul was separate it would be aware of the mental health experiences. It isn't. Our identities are based on a lot of things including our religions and environment. I posted a movie on how our brain creates our realities. If you want, I can post it?

Another thing I realized is the spirit is another word for energy. Think about it. When the holy spirit communicates, how do you feel? What is that euphoria you have (whatever you call it) that's beyond mind and body. It's energy. We can't touch it but we can sense it. Hindus and Buddhist have been "playing" with energy for thousands of years.

I wish I was a scientist but the gist is everything runs off of energy. You can sense it most when you pray or meditate and do activities that put you in a state of awareness. Hard to explain. If you experienced prayer, that's what it is.

Without identity, our mind, there is no life (we are in a coma). Without spirit or energy, our body and brain is dead. Nothing keeps it alive.

It's alright to have religion and ways to believe one believes there is life after death. Personally, I feel it's a grieving stage. Everyone goes through it differently.

What your saying, is the same thing I get from talking to Atheists, That's it we're dead, but how do you this for sure, what proof do you have,
Seeing the scientific world can't prove one way or another what happens after dieing in the Unexplained, Unknown.

Yes and no. A lot of atheists I speak with don't believe in the soul and spirit; I do. I do believe we have a core identity. I do believe that when we get in touch with our spirit energy (breathe of life) we are aware and one with ourselves.

I disagree that it's all scientific. I just attribute it to a different source/nature than a christian does.

So what proof do you have that the scientific world doesn't have.

What do you mean?

What proof do I have that there is something beyond the scientific world?

That's an odd question. Do you have proof that there is something beyond the scientific world?

Once you clarify than I can probably answer.

Maybe you should get a hold of the scientific world and let them know, that you know what exactly happens after dieing.

Actually, I never heard of a scientific anything until I came on RF. I didn't realize that atheism was such a "thing" until I came here. I just thought, it is what it is, I'm hungry.

How do you get a hold of the scientific world?