• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The concept of non practicing a religion

Vee

Premium Member
Once in a while I come across someone who tells me they're a non practicing member of a certain religion. Mostly catholic, but not exclusively. I never understood the concept. For me, if you don't practice your religion, you might as well say you're non religious. I know there are countries where people don't have freedom of religion and they have to pretend, for their own protection, but that's not the case here.
Over here you can say you're religious, agnostic, atheist, confused, unsure or whatever else, and no one cares.
If I go to a restaurant and someone tells me my meal is going to be prepared by a non practicing chef, who hasn't stepped foot in the kitchen the last six months, I'll run away as fast as I can. If someone tells me "I'm a non practicing guitar player", I'll laugh. That simply doesn't exist. I find it hard to take someone seriously if they come up with that sort of speech.
If people don't tell others that they're non practicing doctors, musicians or athletes because it would make them look ridiculous, why do they say that about religion?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Once in a while I come across someone who tells me they're a non practicing member of a certain religion. Mostly catholic, but not exclusively. I never understood the concept. For me, if you don't practice your religion, you might as well say you're non religious. I know there are countries where people don't have freedom of religion and they have to pretend, for their own protection, but that's not the case here.
Over here you can say you're religious, agnostic, atheist, confused, unsure or whatever else, and no one cares.
If I go to a restaurant and someone tells me my meal is going to be prepared by a non practicing chef, who hasn't stepped foot in the kitchen the last six months, I'll run away as fast as I can. If someone tells me "I'm a non practicing guitar player", I'll laugh. That simply doesn't exist. I find it hard to take someone seriously if they come up with that sort of speech.
If people don't tell others that they're non practicing doctors, musicians or athletes because it would make them look ridiculous, why do they say that about religion?
Can it be that they were born in to a family who call them self religious based on the culture? but that they do not practice any of the teaching or only have a belief, but not practice the teaching?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I'm a non practicing atheist. ... there is nothing to practice if you're an atheist.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Religion is complex and interwoven with culture. So there are lots of people who were raised within a religion, and generally believe in the religion or identify with it because it's part of their heritage or culture. However they don't follow it devoutly or rigidly in the way a fundamentalist would.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
My parents (and their friends) only ever went to a Christian church to attend baptisms, weddings and funerals. Very typical behaviour amongst many Brits I would guess. I never saw a Bible or prayer book in our home. Would you say such people were practising or non practising?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

*sigh* I'm a non practicing guitar player... (meaning I know how to, and can, but most often choose not to)

I find people say this when they enjoy the culture or the security of being associated with a religion(usually when the religion is a majority in the area).

I have a friend who is a non practicing Christian. She doesn't really believe in the teachings, but that's how she was raised, and she values her upbringing. Church is a social function(though she largely avoids it, based on time). She also seems to prefer that people around her be the same way, too, so I think its kind of a tribal thing as well.

Edit: Strangely, I have found those 'not practicing' are often more judgmental than those who are, it least in my locale and personal experience.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Hm. It reminds me of someone here, actually. His practice is upholding family obligations and respect for his cultural identity, while at the same time not associating with the theology and mysticisms to which he was raised and associates with.

In catholicism, you're christian once you are baptized. So, your you can say you still have conviction and don't practice just as a doctor would still be a doctor because of his degree even though he doesn't practice. That's the only way I can think of that the two would fit together.

It does depend on your criteria of what it means by practice.

Most christians I come across emphasis belief/faith before practice. Faith before works. So, they are defined by their conviction just as we would see a doctor as a doctor by his degree not what he does with it.

But I agree. I wouldn't get treated by someone who says they are a doctor but doesn't practice. It doesn't mean they aren't a doctor. It just means they aren't following their trade. I only know christians I've met to base their belief on their convictions not their works/practice. So, if they are right in that view, I'd assume practice wouldn't make them christian but their conviction (their faith) does.

I guess it depends on whether you put stock in the conviction or the practice. Some people believe that even those who are not christian are christian because of their practice without the need of conviction.

I don't know. I get what you're saying, just each religious see it differently. I assume what you're saying applies more to eastern religions, but most christians I came across are conviction-focused when it comes to how they identify not the discipline and nature of their practice.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

My parents rarely attended church but were both raised in christianity. They consider themselves christians and thats good enough for them

I am a non practicing artist, I've retired from work.

My brother in law is a non practicing chef, hasn't practiced chefing for 15 years. I would prefer him to cook for me than many full time chefs.

I know several people who are non practicing in their skill or faith. That doesn't mean that skill or faith is not relevant

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
For me, if you don't practice your religion, you might as well say you're non religious
Maybe they just mean "I don't go to the church". But they can be very humane. The ones sitting in the front row in the church need not be the most Saintly people

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
My parents (and their friends) only ever went to a Christian church to attend baptisms, weddings and funerals. Very typical behaviour amongst many Brits I would guess. I never saw a Bible or prayer book in our home. Would you say such people were practising or non practising?

I would say they are people who attend certain religious events. If that's what they do, that's what they are.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

In my experience, it's the difference between cultural ________, and religious _________. Lots of folks keep the culture of a certain faith, be it the food, weddings, funerals, or whatever else that isn't religious but is still attached to a religious community. There is something about being married in a church, or cooking traditional food that is comforting. Perhaps it's just remnants of an early time. Certainly doesn't bother me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My parents rarely attended church but were both raised in christianity. They consider themselves christians and thats good enough for them

My brother in law is a non practicing chef, hasn't practiced chefing for 15 years. I would prefer him to cook for me than many full time chefs.

I know several people who are non practicing in their skill or faith. That doesn't mean that skill or faith is not relevant

I'm a non-practicing teacher, and still in that profession, albeit non-active. My atheist father still donated to the graveyard of his childhood community.

nPeace

Veteran Member
@ChristineM, we don't often agree... actually, almost never... :D, but I can agree with you on these points.

Sounds like non practicing religious person means one who believes in the religion, but does not practice it. So one can be religious but practice no religion in particular.
Sort of like the artist that doesn't practice it, but loves it.

I've met a few non practicing religious people @Vee. They believe in the Bible, and God, but don't practice any religion.

A non practicing Christian. Now that would be a puzzle, because a Christian is one who follows Christ and his teachings. So if one is practicing neither, they are simply non Christian. ;)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I recall a story I heard where a young Buddhist monk told his master, "Master, I diligently practice meditation every single day." The master told him, "That's all very good, but perhaps one day you'll quit practicing and actually start meditating".

To me, to say you're not practicing religion, could mean that you are actually living it and not just going to church to learn how to be spiritual. Shouldn't religion be more like schooling, and at some point you need to graduate?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
People are shaped by religions we grow up with. It affects our form, how we think and talk. Its where we come from. Its like I have a face tattoo or like I'm cranberry sauce from a can. I'm that shape.

There is another thing that happens to keep people connected at a distance. Sometimes religions try to get rid of people or somehow only cater to people when things are going good for them, and that creates a situation in which we feel like there is an injustice. They can't just kick us out when the weather is no longer sunny! Its not right! So we stay attached but at a distance. Maybe a church tries to get rid of someone over a disagreement about swimsuits or mustaches or junk food or smoking or any number of things. Does that person agree that they don't belong? Not always.

Catholics may actually believe that they can never not be catholic. It is not something they opt into. Its another kind of family. Jews are this way, too. Once you're Jewish you're Jewish. Its unlike evangelical groups where you are in if you believe the right things and no longer Christian if you don't. Sometimes your entire worthiness to be a member depends upon your beliefs, and sometimes it does not.

Last of all, sometimes there is just no leaving due to family. You've got family all in, and three family members who are going to die if you so much as hint that you want to go another direction. You haven't got the willpower to disagree, or you just don't want to lose your connections. I'm not saying this is healthy, but its common for people to want to uphold the expectations of family.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
In most Christian countries, people are born into their faith, and it can be a relative hassle to de-register or otherwise officially remove oneself from one's birth religion. What these people are basically saying is that they were born into a family of a particular religion but haven't ever bothered to officially tell their government they don't care about that any longer.

In some cases, this may even be opportunism - when I was learning to be a teacher, my family advised me not to ditch my faith officially so I could still have the choice to apply for jobs at Christian schools. Needless to say, I didn't care for that in the slightest.

EDIT: Now that said, "non practising" does not necessarily say that one doesn't believe in the tenets of one's faith - it could simply mean that the person in question doesn't have the inclination, or perhaps even the ability, to take part in their religion's traditional rituals, festivities, events etc. In that case, they may very well be a fervent (or less so) adherent to their faith, but without the lived communal practice.

EDIT2: I'm actually pretty sure I read posts by some folks here on RF who talked about the difficulties of finding other people to practice their faith together with, but who nevertheless considered themselves adherents to their faith.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The concept of non practicing a religion

In Islam (reasonable) belief and practice go side by side together:

الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ
The phrase "those who believe and do [the] righteous deeds" is repeated almost innumerable times in Quran. Right?

Jesus also believed in "God-the-Father" and prayed and worshiped "God-the-Father" and did good and righteous deeds and hence in this sense was a Muslim, as I understand. Right?
It is Pauline-Christianity who rests on "faith alone". and has got nothing to do with Jesus, his teachings and or his good deeds, I figure. Right?

Regards