• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee Thread

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
so the recycle/repeat technique I mentioned

It's happening... I'm about to try out your recipe with a coarse grind

upload_2020-7-16_11-29-52.png

cold water in sauce pan....equal measure to your thermos
ease the grind unto the water.....most of it will float
turn on the gas and wait for it

as the heat rises the grind will sink
wait for the bubbles to overtake the floaters

strain through a tea ball into the thermos

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
OK, @Thief , It works great.

Pros:
It works well over a capfire
Tastes Good
Stays Hot
The Termos cap helps to additionally filter out grinds
Conservative on Coffee grinds. ( That's a big plus cmpared to the Aeropress )

Cons:
It's a little messy pouring into the thermos

upload_2020-7-16_12-20-33.png

Hi Y'all,

I love coffee. In fact I adore it. It's not just the caffeine, althought it's a definite perk. There's just something magical about it.

Anyhoo.... My mid-day coffee break used to be provided by a relatively cheap espresso maker from Amazon. It made a Cafe Crema, which is kind of like an Americano with foam at the top, see below:

View attachment 41446

About 3 weeks pre-Covid, my espresso machine died. And I have been looking for alternatives ever since.

In the meantime, I've been using an Areopress to make Americanos for my mid-day coffee break. And It's OK. I would call it a good coffee maker for camping and such. But I miss my Cafe Crema.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an espresso maker ( not too spendy ) that can make a cafe crema?

Also, any and all posts about coffee, are welcome here. Examples:
  • Favorite beans, least favorite beans?
  • Grinder recommendations or failures?
  • To filter the water, or not to filter the water?
  • Keurigs, do you love them? Do you hate them?

Thanks to all who read this and/or reply,

Here's my GoTo favorite El Cheapo, but lasts years DeLonghi Espresso maker, which uses Pods too.
https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC155-Espresso-Cappuccino-Maker/dp/B000F49XXG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3HUV2I0Z3G4IG&dchild=1&keywords=delonghi+espresso+machine&qid=1594944995&sprefix=delonghi,aps,188&sr=8-3

I've always heard that as we know Arabica is the best, but Barista's will add some Robusto which creates lots of Crema!
My favorite bean is Bustello Supreme dark whole bean, grind it with an upgraded Baratza Encore. * Doing Aeropress Inverted triples flavor and I can use less for an Americano than my Expresso shots.

Filter Water, my city water can have a dirt taste as well as chlorine and installed a reverse osmosis unit under kitchen sink with pump and mineral cartridge.

After many years off using my Above mentioned Delonghi, I wanted convenience! So upped espresso machine to; https://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-ESAM3300-Magnifica-Super-Automatic-Espresso/dp/B000N2YKQ0/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3UXTNWM1362M3&dchild=1&keywords=delonghi+espresso+machine+super+automatic&qid=1594945577&sprefix=delonghi+espresso+machine+super+auto,aps,167&sr=8-2

Americano's ; espresso I take 14 - 15 grams - two shots/ounces espresso to 6 ounces of water, 1 Tbsp heavy cream, some splenda. If I use Inverted Aeropress, set grinder 28-30 and 10 grams to 8 ounce water, cream and sweetner. I really enjoy the rich smooth taste from Inverted Aeropress, ( bought fine metal screen ).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
OK, @Thief , It works great.

Pros:
It works well over a capfire
Tastes Good
Stays Hot
The Termos cap helps to additionally filter out grinds
Conservative on Coffee grinds. ( That's a big plus cmpared to the Aeropress )

Cons:
It's a little messy pouring into the thermos

View attachment 41466
I mentioned a tea ball earlier

a sauce pan with an crimp on it's edge for pouring also helps

I would have not tried making coffee in a skillet

of course.....there is the old fashion coffee post that cowboys used
I think you can still buy them

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I mentioned a tea ball earlier
too small, me thinks
a sauce pan with an crimp on it's edge for pouring also helps
Yup.
I would have not tried making coffee in a skillet
It's a big saucepan, not a skillet, don't be silly. It's because of my machismo. On a scale of 1-10, I was at 11.

of course.....there is the old fashion coffee post that cowboys used
I think you can still buy them
H E Double-Hockeysticks No.

I am not buying more coffee *stuff*. If I can't make it work with what I've got, then I'll just be civilized and drink tea. or make a pot of drip coffee.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So I finally bought a jar of ghee from the Indian grocer, mainly for the purpose of cooking, but I was looking up different uses and saw that there are those that add a dollop of ghee to their morning coffee. I tried this this morning.

Why?

Why??

Why on earth would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee like that??!!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So I finally bought a jar of ghee from the Indian grocer, mainly for the purpose of cooking, but I was looking up different uses and saw that there are those that add a dollop of ghee to their morning coffee. I tried this this morning.

Why?

Why??

Why on earth would anyone want to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee like that??!!
my wife has some ghee on the kitchen counter

I have not bothered to ask
clue me in so I don't look stupid

Heyo

Veteran Member

Why?

Why??

Some people put milk in their coffee, the Nepalese put Yak butter in their tea. It's not for me but to each their own.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I've been drinking coffee lately cuz of lack of sleep...I dislike coffee too bitter but I am hoping to get used to the taste if it helps.