• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee Thread

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Who would have thought that the only place to find a percolator would be in the camping section?
There's something really special about taking fresh snow-melt from the mountain and turning it into coffee in the morning. Watching the sunrise... Oy, It is the very definition of heavenly...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
what???!!!!!....you threw out coffee?

listen to me....
you take whatever leftover is in the thermos
and add fresh
back to the sauce pan
more grind
strain into thermos

recycle and repeat

by the end of the week
you will be stronger

or dead
I love you so much right now...

But I won't hug you. Out of respect...

Just a virtual fist bump... :handfist:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I put coffee in the mug together with cocoa and sugar, add boiling water, wait a few seconds. I like it that way. I have a Bodum for guests who don't want their coffee "al dente".
Do you chew up the grinds/dregs that end up mixed in at the bottom of the cup?

If so, you are now officially more awesome than me.

*Dybmh bows deeply in Heyo's general direction"

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
ease the grind unto the water
What's the grind to water ratio?

If the grinds float, how much coverage on the surface of the water?

Do the grinds completely cover the water, or is it more 50%? 75%?

I need more details?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What's the grind to water ratio?

If the grinds float, how much coverage on the surface of the water?

Do the grinds completely cover the water, or is it more 50%? 75%?

I need more details?
cover the water completely
if it starts to sink too soon it's too much

no wait

go ahead

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Y'all,

I love coffee. In fact I adore it. It's not just the caffeine, althought it's a definite perk. There's just something magical about it.

Anyhoo.... My mid-day coffee break used to be provided by a relatively cheap espresso maker from Amazon. It made a Cafe Crema, which is kind of like an Americano with foam at the top, see below:

View attachment 41446

About 3 weeks pre-Covid, my espresso machine died. And I have been looking for alternatives ever since.

In the meantime, I've been using an Areopress to make Americanos for my mid-day coffee break. And It's OK. I would call it a good coffee maker for camping and such. But I miss my Cafe Crema.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an espresso maker ( not too spendy ) that can make a cafe crema?

Also, any and all posts about coffee, are welcome here. Examples:
  • Favorite beans, least favorite beans?
  • Grinder recommendations or failures?
  • To filter the water, or not to filter the water?
  • Keurigs, do you love them? Do you hate them?

Thanks to all who read this and/or reply,
I tolerate Keurigs, but I prefer to rough it with just an electric espresso machine -- which I use to make small amounts of coffee not true espresso. The process is delicate and complex, far more interesting than that of any Keurig. My machine has no moving parts, pumps or relays, so if something goes wrong with it I can probably fix it. I probably wouldn't fix it for myself, but you know like if the infrastructure failed and I couldn't get another one then I might repair it. I doubt I could say the same about a Keurig machine.

Oh...and I use distilled water unless I run out. Then I use tap.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
btw.....caffeine doesn't breakdown from re-exposure to heat

so the recycle/repeat technique I mentioned
might not be good for the weak of heart

just saying

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I get my coffee beans from Costa Rica and use a Gaggio machine to make my caps.
ooooh lala. Just saying that out loud... "coffee beans from Costa Rica ... and use a Gaggio machine ..."

Dude.

I just swooned. :eek::p:D

Heyo

Veteran Member
cover the water completely
if it starts to sink too soon it's too much

no wait

go ahead
You just got the turn. There is no thing as too much coffee.
Testing for too much water is easy: put a horseshoe into the coffee, it it sinks, the coffee is too weak.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I just drink the liquid stuff. I don't know how others manage to get the dregs in the mouth.

That reminds me of the 'kahua turkiyya' (or Turkish coffee) that I had when in Istambul. Strong and sweet, it left dregs on the bottom of the cup. There were fortune tellers that would read your coffee grounds for a price.

I drank *so* many of those!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Y'all,

I love coffee. In fact I adore it. It's not just the caffeine, althought it's a definite perk. There's just something magical about it.

Anyhoo.... My mid-day coffee break used to be provided by a relatively cheap espresso maker from Amazon. It made a Cafe Crema, which is kind of like an Americano with foam at the top, see below:
Let me get your religious opinion on something. What if we could genetically alter humans to produce their own coffee? Would it be a sin?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Let me get your religious opinion on something. What if we could genetically alter humans to produce their own coffee? Would it be a sin?
Let's see... WWHD.

What would Hillel do?

Hillel would say:
...that depends ...

:cool:.

But seriously, im guessing it would be prohibited. Coffee is used by many as a ritual. No other rituals are allowed. Even the appearance of including oneself in this ritual would likely be prohibited. So that means, the bioengineering involved would needbneed highly advanced. It wouldn't be able to have any corporate branding on it.

On the other hand, if coffee is medicinal...

Or perhaps the enhancement helps local law enforcement stay awake and alert... Then it has life saving applications.

Let's see what else...

Perhaps the enhancement is absolutely required in order to "delight in the Shabbat" as commanded.

etc.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I love Gevalia, which is a Swedish brand, both in bean and also Keurig pods. I drink usually 4-5 cups per day but only decaf after 5 p.m.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hi Y'all,

View attachment 41446

About 3 weeks pre-Covid, my espresso machine died. And I have been looking for alternatives ever since.

In the meantime, I've been using an Areopress to make Americanos for my mid-day coffee break. And It's OK. I would call it a good coffee maker for camping and such. But I miss my Cafe Crema.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an espresso maker ( not too spendy ) that can make a cafe crema?

Also, any and all posts about coffee, are welcome here. Examples:
  • Favorite beans, least favorite beans?
  • Grinder recommendations or failures?
  • To filter the water, or not to filter the water?
  • Keurigs, do you love them? Do you hate them?

Thanks to all who read this and/or reply,

I used to have my own mix of 45% Brazilian robusta, 45% Colombian arabica and 10% Yemeni mocha beans. But i have now given up on that and bought a Dolce Gusto, actually im on my 3rd now, worn the other 2 out.

My tipple is macchiato or the french version,cafe noisette. Basically an espresso with a dash of steamed milk. I make it strong using the highest strength espresso and cafe aux lait pods filtered until just as the colour begins to change indicating the pods are out of flavour and are pumping just about pure water.

The drink has a creamy head but you'll need to experiment with different blends to get what you like best.

It is recommended by coffee aficionados that the water should not be filtered but i don't find any real difference.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I tried it, and hated it.

The coffee tasted and smelled burned, and it took too long to percolate. What was I doing wrong?

( probably a lot )

I can still dig it out of the trash can, if it's worth it.
Oh dear. That doesn't sound good. I have a "6 cup" which makes one decent mug (an Americano). It only takes about 3 minutes.
The only thing is to stay in attendance to ensure you turn the gas off (or remove from the electric) as soon as it hits the final "splurting" bit (known as the Stromboli). Leaving the heat on past that will result in a burnt taste:

"When the water is boiling we are close to the end of the extraction. As soon as we hear any gurgling we remove the Moka pot from the stove. We then want to stop the extraction at this point to prevent any bitter taste due to an over-extraction."
- Bialetti Moka Express coffee maker Review - Coffeextraction

Other essentials:
The water level should be just beneath the valve; certainly NOT above it.
Tamper the coffee well in the basket.

(These stove top types are obviously no good if you want a crema).

Last edited: