• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Coffee Thread

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Hi Y'all,

I love coffee. In fact I adore it. It's not just the caffeine, althought it's a definite perk. There's just something magical about it.

Anyhoo.... My mid-day coffee break used to be provided by a relatively cheap espresso maker from Amazon. It made a Cafe Crema, which is kind of like an Americano with foam at the top, see below:

upload_2020-7-15_8-3-9.png

About 3 weeks pre-Covid, my espresso machine died. And I have been looking for alternatives ever since.

In the meantime, I've been using an Areopress to make Americanos for my mid-day coffee break. And It's OK. I would call it a good coffee maker for camping and such. But I miss my Cafe Crema.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an espresso maker ( not too spendy ) that can make a cafe crema?

Also, any and all posts about coffee, are welcome here. Examples:
  • Favorite beans, least favorite beans?
  • Grinder recommendations or failures?
  • To filter the water, or not to filter the water?
  • Keurigs, do you love them? Do you hate them?

Thanks to all who read this and/or reply,

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I am now seeing that there is a Cafe Crema attachment for the aeropress... I'm ordering it now and will report back if it works.... :D

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
I have a De'Longhi Dedica Style that I've been using for over two years now and I'm satisfied with it. It just does espresso shots but you can top up with hot water to make an americano which retains the crema - americanos should always have crema. I have an aeropress too but I've never managed to get it to produce anything better than a cafetière (to my taste), which would be my second choice of coffee maker.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Cowboy Coffee

cold water in sauce pan....equal measure to your thermos
ease the grind unto the water.....most of it will float
turn on the gas and wait for it

as the heat rises the grind will sink
wait for the bubbles to overtake the floaters

strain through a tea ball into the thermos

good luck

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Cowboy Coffee

cold water in sauce pan....equal measure to your thermos
ease the grind unto the water.....most of it will float
turn on the gas and wait for it

as the heat rises the grind will sink
wait for the bubbles to overtake the floaters

strain through a tea ball into the thermos

good luck
I'll try it, sounds great for camping.

How coarse should the grind be on this?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
After my long adurious journey for a proper percolator as opposed to drip, the quest to brew the ultimate elixir of the Gods is finally at hand!

Who would have thought that the only place to find a percolator would be in the camping section?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Do I like coffee?
My only essential grave goods to take to the other side of the veil is my Bialetti Moka Express.
If it's good enough for Italians (and it is, my neighbours are Italian) then it's good enough for me. :p

E9E0B564-87E6-4E86-8731-72D127F2D5AF.jpeg

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
choose your grit
it won't matter

you're going to choke
Great! Just what I need.

I'm heading upstairs to try out your Cowboy Coffee recipe, right now...

I'll let you know how it goes.

( I'll be using a coarse grind though )

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do I like coffee?
My only essential grave goods to take to the other side of the veil is my Bialetti Moka Express.
If it's good enough for Italians (and it is, my neighbours are Italian) then it's good enough for me. :p

View attachment 41448
I tried it, and hated it.

The coffee tasted and smelled burned, and it took too long to percolate. What was I doing wrong?

( probably a lot )

I can still dig it out of the trash can, if it's worth it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I put coffee in the mug together with cocoa and sugar, add boiling water, wait a few seconds. I like it that way. I have a Bodum for guests who don't want their coffee "al dente".

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I tried it, and hated it.

The coffee tasted and smelled burned, and it took too long to percolate. What was I doing wrong?

( probably a lot )

I can still dig it out of the trash can, if it's worth it.
what???!!!!!....you threw out coffee?

listen to me....
you take whatever leftover is in the thermos
and add fresh
back to the sauce pan
more grind
strain into thermos

recycle and repeat

by the end of the week
you will be stronger

or dead