• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints vs the Westboro Baptist Church

Which of these two religions is the most "benign"?

• Westboro Baptist Church

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters

idea

Question Everything
I feel so bad for how their great prophet Joseph Smith was mistreated and persecuted in the state of Illinois. ....

JS was mistreated? Think again.

Did they tell you how Joseph Smith burned down the local printing press when it started publishing warnings about Joseph sleeping around with teenage girls? Did they tell you about the Danites - the Armies of Israel - the Mormon destroying Angels who took it upon themselves to burn down homes and steal from anyone who was not Mormon?

Joseph Smith was an adulterous, con-artist, treasure seeking, pedophile - he was not "persecuted for religious beliefs" - he was put in jail for burning and pillaging the surrounding townships. He was disliked for taking advantage of teenage girls.

Here is the real history of the church:
http://www.letterformywife.com/letter/

idea

Question Everything
You are SO misrepresenting everything.

So - Mormons do not believe polygamy is required for celestial exaltation? You are going to contradict your own scriptures?

Comparing several women I know...

I know one - whose husband is in jail for molesting kids - she refuses to work, cannot take care of herself, did not protect her kids because "women do not hold the role of being a protector", she did not divorce her pedophile husband because she would rather see her children abused than break her Mormon covenants. ...

vs.

Me. I work. I protect my kids. I don't rely on help or healing from "the priesthood". I'm not afraid to face problems, read the real history of the church, see the actual "fruits" of the current church.

I am doing so much better now - and it is because I have left the church. I have stopped being a victim molly mormon... I thought that humble crap would be a wonderful thing, the fruits did not pan out - by their fruits ye shall know them? I currently have much better fruits in my life than I did as a Mormon. I have a job. I have dignity and self-worth. I don't need any man to tell me if I am worthy or not - or quiz me behind closed doors about my life - what BS. I'm done with it.

Jane.Doe

I am doing so much better now - and it is because I have left the church. I have stopped being a victim molly mormon... I thought that humble crap would be a wonderful thing, the fruits did not pan out - by their fruits ye shall know them? I currently have much better fruits in my life than I did as a Mormon. I have a job. I have dignity and self-worth. I don't need any man to tell me if I am worthy or not - or quiz me behind closed doors about my life - what BS. I'm done with it.
@idea , I've watched you on this journey for many months now. My heart still goes out to you. Telling you from personal experience: a person never stops being a victim until they reach the point where they stop defining themselves by what happened- to move on from being motivated/consumed by rage. That's when a person transforms from being a victim defined by what happened, to being a survivor whom now moves on with life.

Please seek counseling. It really does help. Wishing you the best.

Prestor John

Ya know,
WBC and LDS aren't actually different religions.
They are different versions of the same one.
Christianity.
Tom
The following are synonyms for the word "Benign": kindly, kind, warmhearted, good-natured, friendly, warm, affectionate, agreeable, amiable, good-humored, genial, congenial, cordial, approachable, tender, tenderhearted, softhearted, gentle, sympathetic, compassionate, caring, considerate, thoughtful, helpful, well disposed, obliging, accommodating, generous, big-hearted, unselfish, benevolent, gracious, liberal, indulgent.

In another thread, I was told that the Westboro Baptist Church was "more benign" than The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. While I would be the first person to acknowledge that my Church is far from perfect, this comment simply blew my mind.

So, I would like to know how the rest of the RF community feels. Please provide reasons for the way you voted.
That comparison is horrendous.

I would claim, as a member of the LDS Church, that the Church is the "most correct" of any organized religion.

Not perfect, but most correct.

Prestor John

So - Mormons do not believe polygamy is required for celestial exaltation? You are going to contradict your own scriptures?

Comparing several women I know...

I know one - whose husband is in jail for molesting kids - she refuses to work, cannot take care of herself, did not protect her kids because "women do not hold the role of being a protector", she did not divorce her pedophile husband because she would rather see her children abused than break her Mormon covenants. ...

vs.

Me. I work. I protect my kids. I don't rely on help or healing from "the priesthood". I'm not afraid to face problems, read the real history of the church, see the actual "fruits" of the current church.

I'm glad that you are doing so well, but you are painting an inaccurate portrait of the teachings of the LDS Church.

No where does the Church teach that women cannot; work, take care of themselves, protect her kids or divorce an abusive spouse.

The Church actually teaches the exact opposite than all of the examples you mentioned.

If there was a woman who did these things - then she did so in opposition to the teachings of the Church.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
JS was mistreated? Think again.

Did they tell you how Joseph Smith burned down the local printing press when it started publishing warnings about Joseph sleeping around with teenage girls? Did they tell you about the Danites - the Armies of Israel - the Mormon destroying Angels who took it upon themselves to burn down homes and steal from anyone who was not Mormon?

Joseph Smith was an adulterous, con-artist, treasure seeking, pedophile - he was not "persecuted for religious beliefs" - he was put in jail for burning and pillaging the surrounding townships. He was disliked for taking advantage of teenage girls.

Here is the real history of the church:
http://www.letterformywife.com/letter/

Joseph Smith never slept with a prepubescent girl. The Prophet Muhammad consummated his marriage with his 12-year-old wife Aisha. Young ladies under Jewish Law were allowed at age 12 to consummate their marriages, so Mary could have been as young as 13 years old when she gave birth to Jesus Christ. Societies and cultures were way different before the 20th century, so then anybody who was past puberty was considered old enough to be married and have sexual intercourse.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm so sorry that happened to you. Some people do have good reason to hate their former religion. One of the biggest reasons people are leaving Christianity is due to the hatred and abuse they have had inflicted on them or witnessed inflicted on others, in the name of the religion or by clergy and religious. I do so hope that you and your family may find healing.
I don't understand why people call seeing something as it really is in their eyes, "evil". @Jane.Doe calls what @idea saw and experienced, "evil" and you, @Saint Frankenstein, seem to give some credence to that opinion to be calling that which @idea describes "hate". I am sorry. I call it "news". In my uneducated opinion, hate is evil.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't understand why people call seeing something as it really is in their eyes, "evil". @Jane.Doe calls what @idea saw and experienced, "evil" and you, @Saint Frankenstein, seem to give some credence to that opinion to be calling that which @idea describes "hate". I am sorry. I call it "news". In my uneducated opinion, hate is evil.
I don't think hate is always a bad thing. I hate the KKK, for example.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, if an LGBT person were to go to an LDS Church service, he'd be welcomed and treated civilly and respectfully at the bare minimum. Nobody'd shove a sign in his face that said, "God hates ****!" or "Thank God for AIDS!"

I doubt there'd even be an LGBT population in such a state.
o_O

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The news isn't. News can many times be unhealthy, but evil, I think not.