• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The church is it the answer

Riders

For me when I was in the Pentecostal church, my parents were fighting and battling a lot. My Mom liked to scream about sexism to the point of bitterness and sickness, she was a rage ahoiic though she never abused me, my home life was unhealthy.

So I used church as an escape but I claimed church was the answer. I just wonder how many people use it as an escape and claim Jesus is the answer.

Is it wrong to use religion as an escape?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If it helps put your life on track, I see no issue.

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Lots of people use things as an escape - video games, alcohol, religion, etc.

I could say it may be mildly unhealthy, but then I'd be rebuking myself.

Terry Sampson

What are you trying to escape from?
What are you thinking about using to escape from whatever it is that you're trying to escape from?
If I'm trying to escape from something and want to use something, be it a thing, a technique, or a strategy, and I ain't breaking a law, or bothering you, or ain't asking you to help me escape, what do you get out of telling me how I should be escaping?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My escape was reading SciFy.

Religion to me was more about finding the truth. Not that I ever found it but kind of farthest thing in my mind from escape.
I don't see it as a problem, maybe everyone has to find a way to temporarily escape the stress and frustration of the world.

Riders

What are you trying to escape from?
What are you thinking about using to escape from whatever it is that you're trying to escape from?
If I'm trying to escape from something and want to use something, be it a thing, a technique, or a strategy, and I ain't breaking a law, or bothering you, or ain't asking you to help me escape, what do you get out of telling me how I should be escaping?

Nothing now.That was my past. However being 53 no SO, no hubby ,no children and loneliness gets to me. But doing a Baha'i faith study through Zoom on friday nights helps.Maybe after Covid is over I can go back to the UU church ot Zen meditation group!I do like having a religious home being alone here, it helps.

Nimos

For me when I was in the Pentecostal church, my parents were fighting and battling a lot. My Mom liked to scream about sexism to the point of bitterness and sickness, she was a rage ahoiic though she never abused me, my home life was unhealthy.

So I used church as an escape but I claimed church was the answer. I just wonder how many people use it as an escape and claim Jesus is the answer.

See nothing wrong in that, even though I would assume that getting in touch with a community of people that have had similar experiences and which can support each other, would be more helpful.

I have no personal experience with these things, but it just seems to me, that being able to share experiences and get advice from people that know what its about, and the stuff one is going through, would be more helpful in the long run.

But again, if one can find support in their church, I see nothing wrong in that.

Riders

See nothing wrong in that, even though I would assume that getting in touch with a community of people that have had similar experiences and which can support each other, would be more helpful.
W
ell I consider my old church as somewhat of a cult and I'm glad I quit that church.But I think one symptom of a church being a cult is that sometimes we members use it as an escape.

Nimos

Well I consider my old church as somewhat of a cult and I'm glad I quit that church.But I think one symptom of a church being a cult is that sometimes we members use it as an escape.

Just wondering, are you looking for religion or community?

Riders

Let me rewrite it. I think my old church is and was a cult and glad Im out of it.But I think cults are escapes for many people.

Even though I would not want to go back to my old church because they'd brainwash me, I still use the mentality of escaping through religion to some degree.

Again being alone now,yea a religious home has its pull on my mind. I like having a spiritual home, being single is not easy.

...So I used church as an escape but I claimed church was the answer. I just wonder how many people use it as an escape and claim Jesus is the answer.

Why would it be wrong? I don’t see any reason to think so.

And I think Jesus is the answer to some things. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would it be wrong? I don’t see any reason to think so.
Because religion can be dangerous and divisive.

An unsupported doctrine supported by a powerful elite is going to be problematic. But, being unevidenced, it's a house built on sand, and must be enforced.

The sight of communities or individuals with different or no religious beliefs leading happy, successful, moral lives is a threat to orthodoxy, and authoritarian religions often try to suppress the heterodox. We've seen this again and again in history, with mandated religions, church attendance, tithes, taxes, ghettos, massacres, &c. Even the orthodox may suffer repression.
And I think Jesus is the answer to some things. :)
How does Jesus answer things?

Because religion can be dangerous and divisive.
How does Jesus answer things?

People are dangerous, evil and divisive. And people who are that, can use anything dangerously or divisively.

Jesus is the answer for example to question: "who said people should love even their enemies?”.

I think Jesus is the answer also if you want to be saved from the judgment that will come because of sin.

Riders

Well I think our society use to have the attitude that you could go to the church or eevrything.But the church is full of humans ho make human mistakes. So a lot of leaders in the church have fallen of their pedestals because of financial sins or sexual sins. So today I think it's common for us to go to counseling or 2 Step recovery groups as much as we do church.

But the danger comes when we think the church can solve all our problems, because the church is full of humans who make mistakes.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Whatever helps