• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The christening of boats and ships and Christianity.

Jonathan Bailey

What does the Holy Bible say about the christening of boats and ships before their maiden voyages?

Should even a Christian christen his personal boat before her maiden voyage? This seems an analogy to Christian baptism to secure God's blessing.

I suppose christening might have been an ancient superstition to bring good luck at sea so men at sea might be safe in their travels.

But what does God think of christening a boat?

Is the traditional christening of a boat with wine or champagne even blasphemous? I understand it may have traditionally been done in the name of false or pagan gods.

Is a Christian prayer sufficient for safety on the water?

May a Christian christen his new boat with champagne in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost so that he be safe out on the water?

sooda

Veteran Member
What does the Holy Bible say about the christening of boats and ships before their maiden voyages?

Should even a Christian christen his personal boat before her maiden voyage? This seems an analogy to Christian baptism to secure God's blessing.

I suppose christening might have been an ancient superstition to bring good luck at sea so men at sea might be safe in their travels.

Is the traditional christening of a boat with wine or champagne even blasphemous? I understand it may have traditionally been done in the name of false or pagan gods.

May a Christian christen his new boat with champagne in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost so that he be safe out on the water?

Baptism vs Christening - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
www.diffen.comPhilosophyReligionChristianity
Even though the words baptism and christening are used interchangeably, there is a subtle difference. Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church. In the sacrament of Baptism the baby's name is ...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Most shipyards "name" their ships. The majority are located in the east where christianity is a minority faith so Christening is a meaningless term to them

danieldemol

Premium Member

It’s not a biblical practice to my knowledge, but as long as no alcohol is consumed the safety on the water should not be adversely affected

Katja

Exactly what everyone else said. If you don't want to waste a nice bottle of wine (sparkling or otherwise), (or, if you don't want to be throwing broken glass into bodies of water, which doesn't sound like a good idea to me anyway), don't bother. If you think God will only keep you safe if you pray over your boat... well... I guess you can believe whatever you want, and if makes you feel better, go for it. But I don't think "christening" of ships had anything to do with baptism, nor do I think wine is bad (Jesus drank wine...).

Jonathan Bailey

It’s not a biblical practice to my knowledge, but as long as no alcohol is consumed the safety on the water should not be adversely affected

Is christening a boat form of idolatry? Some traditional seamen say this is to appease the god Neptune. Neptune is false god in regards to the Christian faith.

I might just christen my new boat in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ with a bottle of consecrated wine.

whirlingmerc

It isn't like baptizing, it's like a prayer... but... God looks on the heart