• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'The Chosen' Series

Jacob Samuelson

This is so Powerful - The Chosen

If anyone wants a realistic, down to earth, 'fairly' historically accurate portrayal of the man Jesus Christ, I strongly recommend you watching this series. If you have already watched it: What do you think? I was hoping to start a TV chain for this series.

Jacob Samuelson

They certainly have done an amazing job! Love it!
Yeah! Most depictions of Christ I've seen in paintings and movies are very European, they depict him more than a Man with no emotions yet still overly dramatic. Apart from The Passion of Christ, I was sad how dependent our society is changing his ethnic background and demeanor to bolster a stereotypical view of what He should look like. Anyway off my soapbox. I think this show was good at removing the plastic version of Jesus and giving him a healthy dose of human.
upload_2021-9-7_8-48-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-7_8-44-33.png
    upload_2021-9-7_8-44-33.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 1

pearl

I finally gave the show a chance this past Easter when Season 2 premiered. From the very first episode, I was floored. I watched the entire first season in a matter of days. I wanted more. I wanted to watch and see and be with Jesus. The acting is excellent, the visuals stunning, the artistry superb, and it pays careful attention to historic details and Jewish culture. But perhaps the show’s most important feature is that it portrays the characters as human, especially Jesus. Many previous attempts to depict Christ on the screen have focused on his divinity, but what I appreciate about “The Chosen” is that its creators acknowledge that we can never fully grasp his divinity. But Jesus’s humanity? Yes, that we can understand. And that is what this show captures so well.

How can an actor attempt to capture an accurate representation of Jesus? This is what I asked Jonathan Roumie, the actor who plays Jesus on “The Chosen.”

Hailing from New York City and born to an Irish mother and Egyptian father, Mr. Roumie was baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church. When his family moved from the city to the suburbs, they could not find a home in a new Orthodox community, and so they transitioned to attending Roman Catholic churches, where he was confirmed.
Although I initially put off my aunts’ suggestions that I watch “The Chosen,” I have now become the person recommending the show to everyone I know.
As I read the daily Gospel, I can picture James and John, sons of Zebedee, asking for seats at the right hand of God and not understanding what their requests mean.
‘The Chosen’ is the Jesus TV show your very Catholic aunt keeps telling you to watch. And you should. | America Magazine

Jacob Samuelson

I finally gave the show a chance this past Easter when Season 2 premiered. From the very first episode, I was floored. I watched the entire first season in a matter of days. I wanted more. I wanted to watch and see and be with Jesus. The acting is excellent, the visuals stunning, the artistry superb, and it pays careful attention to historic details and Jewish culture. But perhaps the show’s most important feature is that it portrays the characters as human, especially Jesus. Many previous attempts to depict Christ on the screen have focused on his divinity, but what I appreciate about “The Chosen” is that its creators acknowledge that we can never fully grasp his divinity. But Jesus’s humanity? Yes, that we can understand. And that is what this show captures so well.

How can an actor attempt to capture an accurate representation of Jesus? This is what I asked Jonathan Roumie, the actor who plays Jesus on “The Chosen.”

Hailing from New York City and born to an Irish mother and Egyptian father, Mr. Roumie was baptized in the Greek Orthodox Church. When his family moved from the city to the suburbs, they could not find a home in a new Orthodox community, and so they transitioned to attending Roman Catholic churches, where he was confirmed.
Although I initially put off my aunts’ suggestions that I watch “The Chosen,” I have now become the person recommending the show to everyone I know.
As I read the daily Gospel, I can picture James and John, sons of Zebedee, asking for seats at the right hand of God and not understanding what their requests mean.
‘The Chosen’ is the Jesus TV show your very Catholic aunt keeps telling you to watch. And you should. | America Magazine
Wasnt it hard to watch the extras with the interviews and see the actors off screen? You know they did well when you cant see them off set. And I think Dallas Jenkins, the creator, did really well with the selection. Also Matthew being partially autistic. Such a great interpretation for a very detailed biblical writer. Awesome comment!

pearl

Wasnt it hard to watch the extras with the interviews and see the actors off screen? You know they did well when you cant see them off set. And I think Dallas Jenkins, the creator, did really well with the selection. Also Matthew being partially autistic. Such a great interpretation for a very detailed biblical writer. Awesome comment!

I must apologize, the comment was from a review by the Jesuit magazine
'America'. I have not yet seen the series but after reading this review I certainly will watch it.

Its reviews like this that saved me from watching films like 'The Passion of the Christ'.

Jacob Samuelson