• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cellphone Deceivers!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I don't know that I "believe I cannot be scammed" - but I am pretty darn skeptical of anything and everything I receive in electronic communication forms. In fact, for the past month I have been getting emails about the "sunset" of a particular data repository site I once used for a project, and it was requesting that I click a link to check out methods of backing up the data I had with them. I ignored the first 3 emails they sent, because their URL was slightly fishy - with some gobbledegook on the end that I didn't trust. Then I decided to look up whether or not the service was actually closing down. As it turns out, the emails were legitimate... and I STILL am not going to click their stupid link. Hahaha...
I like that. :)
Some genuine communications can look very dodgy, especially local government ones.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I find that strange, this need to hide all away. I don't bother getting myself off the public electoral registry etc,
It's hard to hide these days. A car registration can trace it's keeper very easily.

The trick is to be findable but to be secure. :)
Its definitely an artform.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
With all the legislation over privacy its baffling why its not applicable towards scammers. Mostly with their ability in minuplating phone numbers themselves that hide their real number. That should be considered as a crime.

I'm sure it won't be long before scammers are given access to your secret number givin enough time.
More then 5 years with secret number, no phonecall from others then those 5 who i gave the number to.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I find that strange, this need to hide all away. I don't bother getting myself off the public electoral registry etc,
It's hard to hide these days. A car registration can trace it's keeper very easily.

The trick is to be findable but to be secure. :)
I have a very good reason to hide my Phone number and my adress. My own brother have tried killing me in the past, so for my own security he no longer know where i am or how to reach me.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
OK.
I always had to see the person and to discover their identity, that got me paid.
Their attitudes didn't bother me at all.

So the mobile was just incidental.

Why would you call protecting oneself from scammers to be an attitude?

Face it, there are far more scam texts promising riches than the genuine article.

Eyes to See

You've probably heard of him but Kitboga deals with scammers from India all the time. I just pulled his most popular video. But he has probably hundreds:

Indeed, intelligence doesn't play a key role in avoiding scams. It appears that some of the most intelligent may be more prone to being scammed as well.

Good info on detecting and avoiding fraud and scams:

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/g20040722/How-to-Protect-Yourself-From-Fraud/

This doesn't have to do with phone scamming, but with a job I used to have a long time ago. At that time I worked for Echostar the parent company of Dish Network the satellite service provider. I dealt with dealers all day. Helping them if they had questions about commissions on installations or selling equipment, etc. I noticed one strange dealer who was activating every single apartment in a large apartment complex in Miami, Florida. There was something very fishy about the way this dealer was operating.

I don't know how it operates today, but when I worked there we would give around $300 to a dealer for a new subscriber. A $100US for installation, and two other payments one called Flex, and an activation bonus. Not bad money if you can get it. Turns out this family from a southern country had come to the United States, had been scamming Echostar, reporting fake installations on this apartment complex to the tune of stealing over $100,000 in payments. By the time I caught it and reported it, they were long gone. Who knows to where.

There were other scams you would see them do. For example they might call in and activate all the satellite channels on a receiver. The receiver would have a smartcard, and we would send a ping over the satellite to activate the channels by opening access on the smart-card. What they would do is after activating the channels, remove the smart-card, call in deactivate the channels and wait about a month, that is when the ping would stop going through it usually ran in a cycle. Then they would hook up the receiver, stick in the smart-card, and have full access to all the channels for free. Imagine them charging a customer a fee to provide "free" satellite. There were a lot more scams but those were a couple. I am sure it's changed a lot since then that was over 20 years ago.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've told this story before....

A guy called me saying that he's my copier supplier, & that he's
updating his records. He needs the model number of my copier.
I tell him that I'll go check. A minute later, I tell him that it's a
"Sector 7G". (Sector 7G is Homer Simpson's department at the
Springfield Nuclear Power Plant.)
Puzzled, he asks me to double check it. A minute later I reasure
him that it is. He asks what brand it is. I tell him it's a Fordson.
(Henry Ford created this brand name in the teens because "Ford"
was already taken by another tractor company.)
I kept him going for as long as I could.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Have you ever received a scam-message or call? If so, please tell us here! :)
So many I've lost count. At least a few though I had to check the details to see if the sender is legit or not. Calls, on the other hand, if it's not one of few people and they ask for anything--especially money--and I hang up.
I have found asking who, what, where, why, and how are the best defenses against scams.
My dad, however, his 60-year old crippled self fell for a scammer posing as an attractive 30-something who was allegedly well educated and sergeant or something in the military.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Have you ever received a scam-message or call? If so, please tell us here! :)
Rarely. If I get called I ask how they know my number (cold calls are often to random numbers). If the answer isn't satisfying I request to speak to their manager. That usually ends the call immediately.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have a very good reason to hide my Phone number and my adress. My own brother have tried killing me in the past, so for my own security he no longer know where i am or how to reach me.
I'm sad to hear that, Amanaki.
May you keep well. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
So many I've lost count. At least a few though I had to check the details to see if the sender is legit or not. Calls, on the other hand, if it's not one of few people and they ask for anything--especially money--and I hang up.
I have found asking who, what, where, why, and how are the best defenses against scams.
My dad, however, his 60-year old crippled self fell for a scammer posing as an attractive 30-something who was allegedly well educated and sergeant or something in the military.
I'm sad to hear about your Dad. To get scammed can leave s person upset for all time.
All the best to him.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I quite regularly get scam calls and texts. Sometimes I bother to block if it's a repeated offender. Otherwise: if it's not in Contacts it's not happening.
I've had one or two scam (or certainly dodgy) door knockers as well. They were fun. I kept them talking forever and finally they lost the will and left. I did that originally with a UKIP and Tory canvasser at a previous by-election. The look in their eyes. :D

But on a serious point both my mum and aunt were scammed.

Last edited: