• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cellphone Deceivers!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The cellphone deceivers!

If the RF bosses want to redirect this thread to another forum that will be fine, but this is all about psychology so I thought I would try here first. :)

It always amazed me, how most people believe that they cannot be conned, when in fact so many can be, despite their belief in their own intelligence, common sense or education. One example of this fact is the number of people who are too embarrassed to report deception-crimes... after all, it couldn't happen to anybody sensible!
Oh yes it can, and it does! I remember deceptions that I/we discovered during my working years which stunned us all.
And this all came back to me last evening when I received a text message which actually caused me to think about it for a moment or two...... before checking out the mobile number and discovering the country where it had originated from. Here it is with parts removed so that nobody can actually access either the web-site or the mobile number. To respond to these messages leaves you open and exposed........ believe me. :)
--------------------------------------------------
07898423--2
P-yP-l: Your account is now limited due to unconfirmed billing details. Please verify the information requested at https://p-yp-l-user-resolve1--.com before we are forced to close your account.
---------------------------------------------------
Now I know that over 90% of those who read this post will believe that they could not possibly be conned in to visiting the web-site and inserting their details and personal identification number, but the fact is that a % of people will respond, and if such a message as this is sent out in blocks of 1000 then if 1% respond with their personal details there will be 10 unfortunates who will have their accounts plundered. Easy returns!

And there's a much higher harvest from the idiots who think they are clever and send rude messages back to the mobile number! Oh no! Don't do that, because you have just conformed that your mobile number is genuine and these can be collected and sold to the scam-caller gangs such as the 'Be--ficial-Op--ion' group who target folks with their 'opinion surveys' in to giving financial information.

Have you ever received a scam-message or call? If so, please tell us here! :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
The cellphone deceivers!

If the RF bosses want to redirect this thread to another forum that will be fine, but this is all about psychology so I thought I would try here first. :)

It always amazed me, how most people believe that they cannot be conned, when in fact so many can be, despite their belief in their own intelligence, common sense or education. One example of this fact is the number of people who are too embarrassed to report deception-crimes... after all, it couldn't happen to anybody sensible!
Oh yes it can, and it does! I remember deceptions that I/we discovered during my working years which stunned us all.
And this all came back to me last evening when I received a text message which actually caused me to think about it for a moment or two...... before checking out the mobile number and discovering the country where it had originated from. Here it is with parts removed so that nobody can actually access either the web-site or the mobile number. To respond to these messages leaves you open and exposed........ believe me. :)
07898423--2
P-yP-l: Your account is now limited due to unconfirmed billing details. Please verify the information requested at https://p-yp-l-user-resolve1--.com before we are forced to close your account.
Now I know that over 90% of those who read this post will believe that they could not possibly be conned in to visiting the web-site and inserting their details and personal identification number, but the fact is that a % of people will respond, and if such a message as this is sent out in blocks of 1000 then if 1% respond with their personal details there will be 10 unfortunates who will have their accounts plundered. Easy returns!

And there's a much higher harvest from the idiots who think they are clever and send rude messages back to the mobile number! Oh no! Don't do that, because you have just conformed that your mobile number is genuine and these can be collected and sold to the scam-caller gangs such as the 'Be--ficial-Op--ion' group who target folks with their 'opinion surveys' in to giving financial information.

I get on average one scam phone call per week, but only on the land line, never on my mobile. In fact, just about the only calls I get on the land line are from my 92 yr old father .......and from scammers. The scam is usually some nonsense about BT engineers and my broadband router, or a "wirus" on my "Vindows computer" (they are invariably Indians). I occasionally get scam emails, generally about PayPal - which is easy to spot as I don't use it, or else containing bad grammar or spelling mistakes, which are a dead giveaway.

I log all the telephone scams and report them to BT via this link:
BT Scam Calls | Report a Scam Call | BT Help

I also use the Call Protect feature and add each scam number to my blacklist, so that they can't use it on me again.

Sometimes I have a bit of fun with them, by pretending to be deaf or imitating their Indian accents until they cotton on and hang up.:D

It's all rather annoying but seems to be an inescapable feature of modern life.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I get on average one scam phone call per week, but only on the land line, never on my mobile. In fact, just about the only calls I get on the land line are from my 92 yr old father .......and from scammers. The scam is usually some nonsense about BT engineers and my broadband router, or a "wirus" on my "Vindows computer" (they are invariably Indians). I occasionally get scam emails, generally about PayPal - which is easy to spot as I don't use it, or else containing bad grammar or spelling mistakes, which are a dead giveaway.

I log all the telephone scams and report them to BT via this link:
BT Scam Calls | Report a Scam Call | BT Help

I also use the Call Protect feature and add each scam number to my blacklist, so that they can't use it on me again.

Sometimes I have a bit of fun with them, by pretending to be deaf or imitating their Indian accents until they cotton on and hang up.:D

It's all rather annoying but seems to be an inescapable feature of modern life.

Thankyou for the BT link....... most useful for Brit members.

I know it sounds strange to many people when they hear about how a victim responded to a scammer and was duped, but it does not only happen to helpless pensioners like us ( :p ) it also happens to young and old alike, but the younger victims feel so silly that they often do not report their losses.

A scam which catches out younger folks is on IT dating sites where very professional villains draw individuals in to their confidence and emotional closeness and then exchange 'personal' pictures. The next thing that the victim knows is that s/he is blackmailed in to buying such pictures and videos back.

I've never received a 'We at HMRC need to send you a tax return, can you let us have your bank address for transmission?' or a 'We at ------ Bank must warn you that your account is now overdrawn without any agreement and we must freeze all of your accounts. Please respond here (web-site address) to resolve this problem immediately.'

If the 'crime success' rate is as low as 0.2% and the villains are sending out blocks of say, 10,000 numbers per attempt, the pickings can be huge.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thankyou for the BT link....... most useful for Brit members.

I know it sounds strange to many people when they hear about how a victim responded to a scammer and was duped, but it does not only happen to helpless pensioners like us ( :p ) it also happens to young and old alike, but the younger victims feel so silly that they often do not report their losses.

A scam which catches out younger folks is on IT dating sites where very professional villains draw individuals in to their confidence and emotional closeness and then exchange 'personal' pictures. The next thing that the victim knows is that s/he is blackmailed in to buying such pictures and videos back.

I've never received a 'We at HMRC need to send you a tax return, can you let us have your bank address for transmission?' or a 'We at ------ Bank must warn you that your account is now overdrawn without any agreement and we must freeze all of your accounts. Please respond here (web-site address) to resolve this problem immediately.'

If the 'crime success' rate is as low as 0.2% and the villains are sending out blocks of say, 10,000 numbers per attempt, the pickings can be huge.
Actually I have had one HMRC scam by email, claiming I had overpaid tax and had to claim it back by a certain date [Thinks: What ballocks - why?] . And I have had some threatening to freeze my Barclay's account - I don't bank with them. And also a couple of phone scams claiming that £500 had been taken from my credit card and the credit card company had reason to think it was fraudulent. So I asked them to recite to me my credit card number, to show they were genuine - and of course they couldn't - just hung up.

But the worry is that as I get older and mentally more feeble it may well get harder to recognise all these scams. I have heard lots of stories of elderly people that have been conned.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The cellphone deceivers!

07898423--2

I use Blacklist Plus on my phones set to only accept contacts. (There are other setting such as ban hidden numbers or specific phone numbers)

Before.first installing it about 7 years ago i used to receive several scam texts per week. Since installing it i have had none.

I recommend these types of apps to everyone.

I can't say the same for e-mail though. Despite spamassasin and filters on my client the occasional scam does get through. But im working on it.

Erebus

It always amazed me, how most people believe that they cannot be conned, when in fact so many can be, despite their belief in their own intelligence, common sense or education.

I've heard it said that the ideal mark is somebody who believes they can't be scammed.

For anybody tempted to play a joke on scammers, I have a couple of videos you might like. This guy did what you've always wanted to do so now you don't have to:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Actually I have had one HMRC scam by email, claiming I had overpaid tax and had to claim it back by a certain date [Thinks: What ballocks - why?] . And I have had some threatening to freeze my Barclay's account - I don't bank with them. And also a couple of phone scams claiming that £500 had been taken from my credit card and the credit card company had reason to think it was fraudulent. So I asked them to recite to me my credit card number, to show they were genuine - and of course they couldn't - just hung up.

But the worry is that as I get older and mentally more feeble it may well get harder to recognise all these scams. I have heard lots of stories of elderly people that have been conned.
Maybe the trick is to simplify as one gets older. ??
Funds scattered in to three or four holding accounts don't make any money, but any risk is reduced and elderly people with funds should not concern themselves with interest returns etc.
Complex finances are higher risk, I think. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I use Blacklist Plus on my phones set to only accept contacts. (There are other setting such as ban hidden numbers or specific phone numbers)

Before.first installing it about 7 years ago i used to receive several scam texts per week. Since installing it i have had none.

I recommend these types of apps to everyone.

I can't say the same for e-mail though. Despite spamassasin and filters on my client the occasional scam does get through. But im working on it.
Trouble is, where people lock down their communication systems too tightly they can't be found by old acquaintances, or, for instance, Probate Solicitors.
I used to track down folks for Probate purposes and where they could not be traced this produced many problems and delays in transmission of inheritances. One bloke wanted to charge a solicitor for lost interest opportunities after being lost for yonks..... But the County Court judge disagreed with his claim!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The cellphone deceivers!

07898423--2

I have secret Phone number so people can not find my number for use in scam.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I've heard it said that the ideal mark is somebody who believes they can't be scammed.

For anybody tempted to play a joke on scammers, I have a couple of videos you might like. This guy did what you've always wanted to do so now you don't have to:

I absolutely loved the vids.
Thanks very much. :)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Trouble is, where people lock down their communication systems too tightly they can't be found by old acquaintances, or, for instance, Probate Solicitors.
I used to track down folks for Probate purposes and where they could not be traced this produced many problems and delays in transmission of inheritances. One bloke wanted to charge a solicitor for lost interest opportunities after being lost for yonks..... But the County Court judge disagreed with his claim!

People i don't know are welcome to phone me on my landline or contact me through snail mail if they are not on my contact list.

If someone phoned me on my mobile saying ______ has left you xxx amount in their will i see it as scam and time to push the red disconnect button.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
People i don't know are welcome to phone me on my landline or contact me through snail mail if they are not on my contact list.

If someone phoned me on my mobile saying ______ has left you xxx amount in their will i see it as scam and time to push the red disconnect button.
Occasionally beneficiaries would react badly when I met with them, just as you suggest.
I always had the probate docs to hand over and if they have trouble after that I would withdraw and the solicitor could take it from there.
I got paid for finding folks so my job was done.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Occasionally beneficiaries would react badly when I met with them, just as you suggest.
I always had the probate docs to hand over and if they have trouble after that I would withdraw and the solicitor could take it from there.
I got paid for finding folks so my job was done.

Hard showing the docs over the phone though. Call me untrusting but if someone rang offering me money i would consider it scam.

Now if someone sent a letter to ask for an appointment, that is different.

Only once that i know of in 7 years has the app prevented someone i needed to talk to from phoning me. When i called to see what the delay was i was told they had called several times. My reply was, "not your usual number is it? So can i have the number you used". The reply was, "i can't give you the number, it's hidden for security reasons."
"Ok, i don't need you that much, post me the info, goodbye"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have secret Phone number so people can not find my number for use in scam.

With all the legislation over privacy its baffling why its not applicable towards scammers. Mostly with their ability in minuplating phone numbers themselves that hide their real number. That should be considered as a crime.

I'm sure it won't be long before scammers are given access to your secret number givin enough time.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hard showing the docs over the phone though. Call me untrusting but if someone rang offering me money i would consider it scam.

Now if someone sent a letter to ask for an appointment, that is different.

Only once that i know of in 7 years has the app prevented someone i needed to talk to from phoning me. When i called to see what the delay was i was told they had called several times. My reply was, "not your usual number is it? So can i have the number you used". The reply was, "i can't give you the number, it's hidden for security reasons."
"Ok, i don't need you that much, post me the info, goodbye"
OK.
I always had to see the person and to discover their identity, that got me paid.
Their attitudes didn't bother me at all.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

I don't know that I "believe I cannot be scammed" - but I am pretty darn skeptical of anything and everything I receive in electronic communication forms. In fact, for the past month I have been getting emails about the "sunset" of a particular data repository site I once used for a project, and it was requesting that I click a link to check out methods of backing up the data I had with them. I ignored the first 3 emails they sent, because their URL was slightly fishy - with some gobbledegook on the end that I didn't trust. Then I decided to look up whether or not the service was actually closing down. As it turns out, the emails were legitimate... and I STILL am not going to click their stupid link. Hahaha...

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Now every one wants a secret number now.
I find that strange, this need to hide all away. I don't bother getting myself off the public electoral registry etc,
It's hard to hide these days. A car registration can trace it's keeper very easily.

The trick is to be findable but to be secure. :)