• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Catholics venerate the Virgin Mary and "saints" a lot.

Jonathan Bailey

What does the Holy Bible (King James Version) say about saints and the "making of saints"?

What is the Protestant take on "sainthood"?

I know the Protestants don't say "Virgin Mary" nearly as much as they say "'God", "Jesus Christ" and "Holy Ghost". It seems as on Catholic radio, I hear MARY more than CHRIST.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I believe the Catholic Church puts the Church before the Bible and sees the Bible as evidence before their Church, seeing themselves as the true woman (church) of God spoken of in Revelation. But I could be wrong.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
What does the Holy Bible (King James Version) say about saints and the "making of saints"?

What is the Protestant take on "sainthood"?

I know the Protestants don't say "Virgin Mary" nearly as much as they say "'God", "Jesus Christ" and "Holy Ghost". It seems as on Catholic radio, I hear MARY more than CHRIST.
The Bible doesn't mention the Trinity, either.

pearl

I think its fair to say that Luther, remember him, the founder of the Reformation, would not recognize today's Protestant churches.

Whoever is weak in faith can utter no Hail Mary without danger to his salvation. (Sermon, March 11, 1523).Who possess a good (firm) faith, says the Hail Mary without danger! Our prayer should include the Mother of God.. .What the Hail Mary says is that all glory should be given to God, using these words: "Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus Christ. Amen!" You see that these words are not concerned with prayer but purely with giving praise and honor.. .We can use the Hail Mary as a meditation in which we recite what grace God has given her. Second, we should add a wish that everyone may know and respect her...He who has no faith is advised to refrain from saying the Hail Mary. (Personal Prayer Book, 1522).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Bible doesn't mention the Trinity, either.
It's an interpretation of a lengthy series of verses, and most Christian denominations also believe that it's correct.

As for me, I think it's an attempt to explain the relationship between God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

metis

I believe the Catholic Church puts the Church before the Bible and sees the Bible as evidence before their Church, seeing themselves as the true woman (church) of God spoken of in Revelation. But I could be wrong.
The NT reflects the beginning and teachings within the Church that came through the apostles from Jesus, so the Church and the Bible really cannot be divided and compared as to which is more important.

Catholicus

No - the RCC believes that its Sacred Tradition and the Bible are of equal authority.

David T

Premium Member
"What does the Holy Bible (King James Version) say"
Nothing it doesnt have lips.

If you insist on being an object animist then please pick something more realistic that appears it might speak. Oh and atheists, i will toss you and your interpretations of science under that same bus while i am at it. Just another book or golden calf thats all. How would you both, atheists, and you believers, even be able to function without your books? Realistically, or die is how. Hey just like every other life form on this planet except you.
might try it some time.

images (37).jpeg
images (37).jpeg

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
It's an interpretation of a lengthy series of verses, and most Christian denominations also believe that it's correct.

As for me, I think it's an attempt to explain the relationship between God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.
I understand that. My point was that there are many generally accepted elements of Christianity that aren't explicitly in the Bible.

Wasp

I think its fair to say that Luther, remember him, the founder of the Reformation, would not recognize today's Protestant churches.

Whoever is weak in faith can utter no Hail Mary without danger to his salvation. (Sermon, March 11, 1523).Who possess a good (firm) faith, says the Hail Mary without danger! Our prayer should include the Mother of God.. .What the Hail Mary says is that all glory should be given to God, using these words: "Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus Christ. Amen!" You see that these words are not concerned with prayer but purely with giving praise and honor.. .We can use the Hail Mary as a meditation in which we recite what grace God has given her. Second, we should add a wish that everyone may know and respect her...He who has no faith is advised to refrain from saying the Hail Mary. (Personal Prayer Book, 1522).
I don't know though;

'He notes that by 1522, Luther "becomes more cautious about the Hail Mary" (p. 184). In a sermon on the Feast of the Annunciation, Luther says the Hail Mary is "no prayer... we cannot make out of the Hail Mary either a prayer or invocation, for it does not seem right to us that we should give these words a wider meaning than the Holy spirit Himself has given."'

Beggars All: Reformation And Apologetics: Luther: "Whoever possesses a good (firm) faith, says the Hail Mary without danger!"

The entire article is long and interesting. If it has any basis in it... It's a bad bad problem you got.

Jonathan Bailey

While I was a practicing United Methodist many years ago, no Hail Mary was ever taught, mentioned or spoken in church or at bible studies. The church never once uttered the term 'saint' and I can never recall seeing the word even written in scripture. I've attended a few other Protestant churches over the years. The mother of Jesus Christ miraculously maintained her virginity through the conception and birth of Our Lord is what the gospels teach and is what the Protestants believe. No special honor or devotion was ever given to this woman. Mary knew not an earthly man in the flesh but rather God Himself. Hence Jesus Christ is the only BEGOTTEN son of God. God's, not man's, sperm is in Jesus.

JJ50

While I was a practicing United Methodist many years ago, no Hail Mary was ever taught, mentioned or spoken in church or at bible studies. The church never once uttered the term 'saint' and I can never recall seeing the word even written in scripture. I've attended a few other Protestant churches over the years. The mother of Jesus Christ miraculously maintained her virginity through the conception and birth of Our Lord is what the gospels teach and is what the Protestants believe. No special honor or devotion was ever given to this woman. Mary knew not an earthly man in the flesh but rather God Himself. Hence Jesus Christ is the only BEGOTTEN son of God. God's, not man's, sperm is in Jesus.

Very miraculously, and not in the least bit credible.

pearl

The entire article is long and interesting. If it has any basis in it... It's a bad bad problem you got.

Its only a problem for those who assume they know what the Church teaches and confuses what is the official church, the actual doctrine, with what is a personal piety practiced in differing cultures.

metis

I understand that. My point was that there are many generally accepted elements of Christianity that aren't explicitly in the Bible.
Which is what we should expect with any organization through many years. Jesus said he would guide the Church until the end of times, and a static organization wouldn't need any guiding. Thus the significance of Pentecost.

BTW, just a reminder that it is the Church that chose the canon of the Bible and not the other way around.

metis

No special honor or devotion was ever given to this woman.
Luke 1[41] And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit
[42] and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!

A substitute for the word "blessed" is "special".

Jonathan Bailey

Luke 1[41] And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit
[42] and she exclaimed with a loud cry, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!

A substitute for the word "blessed" is "special".

So there is a biblical basis for at least part of the rosary.

I don't know where the Hail Mary and Mother of God parts come in the Good Book though or of our asking her to pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Still, churches are CHRISTIAN (following Christ) , not MARIAN (following Mary) and not TRIUNE (of a three-person godhead).

Last edited:

pearl

The mother of Jesus Christ miraculously maintained her virginity through the conception and birth of Our Lord is what the gospels teach and is what the Protestants believe.

It is more accurate to state a virginal conception but not a virginal birth as that would indicate the hymen remained in tact. Tertullian coined the phrase, 'Virgo quantum a virgo, non virgo fquantum a partu (virgin in terms of a husband, not virgin in terms of giving birth.'

Hence Jesus Christ is the only BEGOTTEN son of God. God's, not man's, sperm is in Jesus.

Wouldn't that imply a 'physical' begetting?