• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The case of Jonah , the companion of fish .

Ruh

The case of Jonah, the man swallowed by the fish, could be realistic. In other words, Qur’an didn’t use any superficial or unscientific statement to describe the story of Jonah. Qur’an didn’t mention at all about the duration of stay of Jonah inside the fish, which qualified it’s central character for a short time not to suffocate or to burn to death by it’s stomach acid. 3 days and 3 nights are too much in this case, to be honest with you.

Worthy to mention, a sperm whale can easily swallow a human as it habited to swallow big squids as it’s food. A 50 cm wide esophagus of this 70 feet tall aquatic creature is probably the biggest one in animal kingdom.

The original Arabic word ‘hawt’ ( حوت) used in Qur’an (37:142,68:48) now made to understand whale in modern Arabic while ‘samak’ (سمك) now is used to denote fish in general ( non-mammals I guess) .

After the big fish spewed Jonah to the nearest shore, it was reported in Qur’an that he was sick (37:145) which makes sense after being in unhealthy state in the belly of the whale .

Jonah to recover fast, GOD, the Almighty aided him with a tree of pumpkin/gourd (يقطين) . This is mentioned in 37:146. This would help a patient like Prophet Jonah incredibly as these fruits/veg are having the following wonderful benefits:

a) Anti Inflammation properties.
b) Alkaline and fight against infections.
c) Boost immune system.
d) High water contents.
e) Very rich with blend of varieties of vitamins and minerals.

Not to press you hard but the story of Jonah in Qur’an has no flaws when someone will consider it rationally and scientifically.

Ruh.

Sperm-whale.jpg

Ruh

According to the Bible, it appears that Jonah served as a prophet to the ten-tribe kingdom of Israel sometime during the reign of Jeroboam II. He is evidently the same person Jehovah commissioned to proclaim judgment against Nineveh (John 1:1, 2) and, therefore, also the writer of the book bearing his name.

When the prophet ran away from his assignment....
"Jehovah now sent a huge fish to swallow Jonah, so that he came to be in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights."

2 Then Joʹnah prayed to Jehovah his God from the belly of the fish, 2 and he said:
“Out of my distress I called out to Jehovah, and he answered me.
Out of the depths of the Grave I cried for help.

You heard my voice.....

"In time Jehovah commanded the fish, and it vomited Joʹnah out onto the dry la
nd" (Jonah 1:17-2:1-2; 10)

Are you saying that God could not preserve the prophet from harm whilst he was being disciplined? Jesus used the example of Jonah in the belly of the fish to demonstrate that he would be in the heart of the earth for three days and nights. (Matthew 12:38-40)

Indeed, since the species of "fish" is not identified, any large mouthed aquatic creature like whale could easily swallow a man.

There is no account in the Bible of Jonah being sick because of his time inside the belly of the 'fish'. He was well enough to take up his assignment to preach God's message to the wicked people of Nineveh.

Not sure where this comes from, but the bottle-gourd plant mentioned in the Bible grew after the Ninevites repented and God did not carry out his sentence upon the city. This made Jonah feel humiliated, but he should have felt a great sense of achievement because a whole city repented because of his preaching. so God needed to teach Jonah more about his compassion upon repentant ones.

The bottle-gourd plant was an overnight growth that shaded the prophet from the intense heat of the day and he was angry when it shriveled up and died after only one day, exposing him to the parching heat that God sent. God used the plant to demonstrate how he felt when Nineveh repented. (Jonah ch 4)

I do not believe that God needs anything to be 'rational or scientific' in order to carry out his will. He is God and he will do what he pleases, even if that means manipulation his creation in ways that they do not normally behave.....

Sorry...edit to add, I did not realize that this was in a DIR. Please mods put DIR posts in a color. :(

Do agree bro . With GOD , the Almighty everything is possible .