• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The case for Twelver Shiism in Quran.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

This is going to be a long post so bare with me. I want to talk about the following:

(1) Role of signs in form of miracles according to Quran

(2) The Guide in light of that

(3) The theme of chosen ones in Quran by God per Quran and the context of Ahlulbayt, Ulil-Amr, Ahlul-Thkir, Al-Qurba prove it be about specific designation and not general designation.

(4) Why it's forbidden for humans to choose their own religious authorities per Quran

(6) how To connect to the Guide per Quran

(7) The spiritual dimension of Ahlulbayt per Quran

(8) The context of Twelve in the Quran

Role of signs in form of miracles according to Quran:

According to Quran, signs are highly important in proving a Messenger is true. The Quran rehearsed examples of signs.

When Allah will say, O Jesus son of Mary, remember My blessing upon you and upon your mother, when I strengthened you with the Holy Spirit, so you would speak to the people in the cradle and in adulthood, and when I taught you the Book and wisdom, the Torah and the Evangel, and when you would create from clay the form of a bird, with My leave, and you would breathe into it and it would become a bird, with My leave; and you would heal the blind and the leper, with My leave, and you would raise the dead, with My leave; and when I held off [the evil of] the Children of Israel from you when you brought them manifest proofs, whereat the faithless among them said, ‘This is nothing but plain magic.’(5:110)

The one who had knowledge of the Book said, ‘I will bring it to you in the twinkling of an eye.’ So when he saw it set near him, he said, ‘This is by the grace of my Lord, to test me if I will give thanks or be ungrateful. Whoever gives thanks, gives thanks only for his own sake. And whoever is ungrateful [should know that] my Lord is indeed all-sufficient, all-generous.’(27:40)

It was said to her: Enter the palace; but when she saw it she deemed it to be a great expanse of water, and bared her legs. He said: Surely it is a palace made smooth with glass. She said: My Lord! surely I have been unjust to myself, and I submit with Sulaiman to Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (27:44)

(Firon) said: You believe in him before I give you leave; most surely he is the chief of you who taught you enchantment, therefore I will certainly cut off your hands and your feet on opposite sides, and I will certainly crucify you on the trunks of the palm trees, and certainly you will come to know which of us is the more severe and the more abiding in chastising.(20:71)

They said: We do not prefer you to what has come to us of clear arguments and to He Who made us, therefore decide what you are going to decide; you can only decide about this world's life.(20:72)

We can see signs in form of miracles were highly important in the past, but they were also highly important during Mohammad (S) time:

If they see a sign, they turn away, and say, ‘An incessant magic!’(54:2)

Ever Messenger was accused of being a sorcerer at the end by their people or one possessed by demonic forces by which miracles occur.

Those who have no knowledge say, ‘Why does not Allah speak to us, or come to us a sign?’ So said those who were before them, [words] similar to what they say. Alike are their hearts. We have certainly shown the signs to a people who have certainty.(2:118)

Now I bring this up, because this contextualizes other verses, for example, 13:7.

The Guide in 13:7 in light of the above:

We are talking about whether Ahlulbayt concept is a specific designation or it can be a general designation. I believe it has to be a specific designation. One of the proofs I brought for that is verse 13:7. The context in light of the above, is one who can perform miracles. This is because the verse begins with query about miracles and signs in that form.

And those who disbelieve say: Why not a sign revealed regarding him; you are only a warner and for every people there is a guide.(13:7)

Now I'm saying the context of "You are only a warner" in light of the above, is that you like other Messengers before can show the signs as a warning, but it won't necessarily guide them or make them believer, and yet for every people there is a Guide who can show such signs and guide by them.

It also clear the context is about those chosen by God and not by people, as the signs in form of miracles manifest who is chosen by God. When it says "You are only a warner", it's understood he is a warner chosen by God and that contextualizes the Guide to be chosen by God (specific designation).

The theme of chosen ones in Quran by God per Quran and the context of Ahlulbayt, Ulil-Amr, Ahlul-Thkir, Al-Qurba prove it be about specific designation and not general designation:

The Quran shows that peace is upon those who God has chosen:

Say, ‘All praise belongs to Allah, and Peace be to the servants whom He has chosen.’ Is Allah better, or the partners they ascribe [to Him]? (27:59)

The Quran shows family of Ibrahim is such group of chosen ones:

Surely, God chose Adam and Nuh and the family of Ibrahim and the family of Imran above the worlds. (3:33)

The flow to Ulil-Amr is that he compared Rasool and Ulil-Amr (4:59) to the family of Ibrahim (4:54) and the grace of God upon the people through the family of Mohammad is hence comparable to that through the family of Ibrahim. The obvious context again is people who God chooses.

The context of Ahlul-Thkir (the family of the reminder) has two. In Suratal Anbiya, the preceding verses talk about miracles:

Nay! they said, ‘[They are] muddled dreams!’ ‘Indeed, he has fabricated it!’ ‘Indeed, he is a poet!’ ‘Let him bring us a sign, like those sent to the former generations.’(21:5)

This contextualizes that miracles should be sought from the family of the reminder:

There did not believe before them any town which We destroyed, will they then believe? (21:6)

And we did not send before you except men who we revealed to, therefore ask the family of the reminder if you do not know (21:7)

The first response is will they believe if shown such miracles, the second response is go ahead ask the family of the reminder for such miracles.

Now the context of Ahlul-Thikr in Suratal Nahl shows you can ask them for knowledge in general, not just for miracles, as they explain and manifest the Quran, but the context here is again that the family of the reminder is capable of showing miracles and even showed be asked for them.

As for the Qurba in 42:23, the reward verses are in such a way, that show what disbelievers can accuse Mohammad (s) as a personal reward can be seen from the vantage point yes this would be a selfish reward from authority, control, being praised, becoming famous, moral landscaping society as he wishes, if he was a false Prophet but it would be all this from the vantage he is a true Prophet nothing but taking a path to God (25:57) and a reminder from God to the worlds and upon God to do if he was a true Prophet since it's for him to establish authority.

42:23 shows his family are also to be honored with all the authority and reverence owed to the Prophet, and they share in what disbelievers accuse Mohammad (S) of seeking a reward selfishly. 42:23 is saying the kinsfolk chosen by God of the time - recognizing them for who they are is really all the rewards you accuse Mohammad (s) of seeking selfishly.

In Surah Al-Anaam, the reminder flows with Prophets being chosen from blood relationships brothers, offspring, forefathers and so we see that this is again about chosen by God type of choosing and not by people.

The two Ahlulbayt verses then contextualize each other as well, and we see clearly it's again about those chosen by God. 33:33 also goes well with the theme that God attributes purity to who he pleases and is not for the people to do so, and so we see again specific manifestation by God and they are chosen by God.

Why it's forbidden for humans to choose their own religious authorities per Quran

The Quran is clear that reputation is unreliable and tells believers not to try to gain charisma and reverence and getting people to follow you "O you who believe, do not say Raina (reverentially follow us)". The context is in refutation of religious clergy.

The Quran does encourage people to become pious scholars and spread knowledge and warn, but this is different then taking on mantle of authority.

And Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) suffices his servants with appointing us religious authorities. True scholars hence do not take mantle of authority but they find other ways to teach and spread their knowledge.

how To connect to the Guide per Quran

In the same chapter where 13:7 is found, another response to why not a sign revealed about him, is that God guides to who turns to him.

As the path and Guide go together, all we have to do is believe in God's guidance and so when we recite:

"Guide us the straight path", we should believe in what Quran has explained that to be with regards to the guides.
"The path of those who you favored (humanity) regarding them, not the path of those who you angered regarding them, nor of those who go astray"

While 1:7 can be general, Quran has explained through out, who they are. In the past, they were Prophets, in this time, it's the Ahlulbayt (a).

The Spiritual Dimension of Ahlulbayt per Quran

If you contextualize the discussion about heaven connected to this world, and stars or lanterns found in there, they re obviously revealing states of Ahlulbayt (a) and how they can connect believers on the journey. This for example seen in Surah Al-Hijr where it discusses how they would accuse Mohammad (s) of sorcery if they would be opened a door to heaven by which they ascend, and then talked about in that context, that he has filled heaven with lanterns and made it an adornment to those who look.

The context of Twelve in the Quran

The 5th chapter, it's obviously flowing with Ghadeer event, and hence takes on a prose of "similarly" which means ghadeer event also appointed us Twelve Succeeding Captains to Mohammad (s) through that convenant.

The other two places with respect to Bani-Israel can be said about branches/ways and rivers with respect to the Twelve Successors of Musa, they were one way from one perspective, but twelve branches as ways from another. In this light, they would also be rivers/streams from God connecting his sustenance and guidance to people.

The last place mentioned, has to do with scholars and going to extreme in religion. In that context, it's best translate the word shahr as luminary to be turned by the people, aman to be generic, and then it's about Twelve representatives of Mohammad (s), no more, no less, and that has been consistent through out time. The name Ali is also relevant in that it's about not lagging behind but also not going to extreme, and such it's sacred ground in that sense. This is all described to be the upright religion from God after talking about how God will make his religion prevail.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

Reputation is unreliable so much so that the Prophet (s) was unknown in terms of even being great:

وَقَالُوا لَوْلَا نُزِّلَ هَٰذَا الْقُرْآنُ عَلَىٰ رَجُلٍ مِنَ الْقَرْيَتَيْنِ عَظِيمٍ

And they said, ‘Why was not this Quran sent down to some great man from the two cities?’

The response by God was:

وَرَبُّكَ يَخْلُقُ مَا يَشَاءُ وَيَخْتَارُ ۗ مَا كَانَ لَهُمُ الْخِيَرَةُ ۚ سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ

Your Lord creates whatever He wishes and chooses: they have no choice. Immaculate is Allah and exalted above [having] any partners that they ascribe [to Him].

And this was not the first time God has chosen a person:

إِنَّ اللَّهَ اصْطَفَىٰ آدَمَ وَنُوحًا وَآلَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَآلَ عِمْرَانَ عَلَى الْعَالَمِينَ

Indeed God chose Adam and Nuh and the family of Ibrahim and the family of Imran over the worlds.

And such families were when his named was remembered therein and his light found in:

فِي بُيُوتٍ أَذِنَ اللَّهُ أَنْ تُرْفَعَ وَيُذْكَرَ فِيهَا اسْمُهُ يُسَبِّحُ لَهُ فِيهَا بِالْغُدُوِّ وَالْآصَالِ

In houses/families Allah has allowed to be raised and wherein His Name is remembered; He is glorified therein, morning and evening,

Who peace was upon:

قُلِ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ وَسَلَامٌ عَلَىٰ عِبَادِهِ الَّذِينَ اصْطَفَىٰ ۗ آللَّهُ خَيْرٌ أَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ

Say the praise is to God and peace is upon the servants that he has chosen, is God better or what they associate?

And who were means of tranquility:

وَقَالَ لَهُمْ نَبِيُّهُمْ إِنَّ آيَةَ مُلْكِهِ أَنْ يَأْتِيَكُمُ التَّابُوتُ فِيهِ سَكِينَةٌ مِنْ رَبِّكُمْ وَبَقِيَّةٌ مِمَّا تَرَكَ آلُ مُوسَىٰ وَآلُ هَارُونَ تَحْمِلُهُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَةً لَكُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ مُؤْمِنِينَ

And their prophet said to them, ‘Indeed the sign of his authority shall be that the Ark will come to you, bearing tranquility from your Lord and remaining that was left behind by the House of Moses and the House of Aaron, carried by the angels. There is indeed a sign in that for you, should you be believers.’

And God knows where best to put his message:

وَإِذَا جَاءَتْهُمْ آيَةٌ قَالُوا لَنْ نُؤْمِنَ حَتَّىٰ نُؤْتَىٰ مِثْلَ مَا أُوتِيَ رُسُلُ اللَّهِ ۘ اللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ حَيْثُ يَجْعَلُ رِسَالَتَهُ ۗ سَيُصِيبُ الَّذِينَ أَجْرَمُوا صَغَارٌ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ وَعَذَابٌ شَدِيدٌ بِمَا كَانُوا يَمْكُرُونَ

And when a sign came to them, they said, 'We will not believe until we are given the like of what God's Messengers were given.' God knows very well where to place His Message; and humiliation in God's sight shall befall the wicked, and a terrible chastisement, for what they devised.

And forbid others to attribute purity to humans and Jinn without proof:

أَلَمْ تَرَ إِلَى الَّذِينَ يُزَكُّونَ أَنْفُسَهُمْ ۚ بَلِ اللَّهُ يُزَكِّي مَنْ يَشَاءُ وَلَا يُظْلَمُونَ فَتِيلًا

Have you not considered those who attribute purity to themselves? Nay, Allah attributes purity to whom He pleases; and they shall not be wronged the husk of a date stone.

And argued that soothsayers had no right to claim such status of piety to other humans:

الَّذِينَ يَجْتَنِبُونَ كَبَائِرَ الْإِثْمِ وَالْفَوَاحِشَ إِلَّا اللَّمَمَ ۚ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ وَاسِعُ الْمَغْفِرَةِ ۚ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِكُمْ إِذْ أَنْشَأَكُمْ مِنَ الْأَرْضِ وَإِذْ أَنْتُمْ أَجِنَّةٌ فِي بُطُونِ أُمَّهَاتِكُمْ ۖ فَلَا تُزَكُّوا أَنْفُسَكُمْ ۖ هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنِ اتَّقَىٰ

Those who avoid major sins and indecencies, apart from [minor and occasional] lapses. Indeed your Lord is expansive in [His] forgiveness. He knows you best since [the time] He produced you from the earth and since you were fetuses in the bellies of your mothers. So do not attribute purity to yourselves: He knows best those who fear him.

And revealed the Quran with intent to only attribute purity to Mohammad and his family:

إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ لِيُذْهِبَ عَنْكُمُ الرِّجْسَ أَهْلَ الْبَيْتِ وَيُطَهِّرَكُمْ تَطْهِيرًا

Allah only desires to repel all impurity from you, O People of the Household, and purify you with a thorough purification.

And who have the station to be blessed with the Prophet:

إِنَّ اللَّهَ وَمَلَائِكَتَهُ يُصَلُّونَ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ ۚ يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا صَلُّوا عَلَيْهِ وَسَلِّمُوا تَسْلِيمًا

Indeed Allah and His angels bless the Prophet; O you who have faith! Invoke blessings on him and invoke Peace upon him in a worthy manner.

And the way God does it:

سَلاَمٌ عَلَىٰ آلِ يَاسِينَ

Peace be upon the family of Yaseen

And Yaseen is Mohammad (s), one of the sent ones:

يس
Ya Seen.

وَالْقُرْآنِ الْحَكِيمِ
I swear by the wise Quran

إِنَّكَ لَمِنَ الْمُرْسَلِينَ

you are indeed one of the sent ones

Sent not only as Messenger and Prophet but as a witness and caller to God:

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ إِنَّا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ شَاهِدًا وَمُبَشِّرًا وَنَذِيرًا
O Prophet! Indeed We have sent you as a witness, as a bearer of good news and as a warner

وَدَاعِيًا إِلَى اللَّهِ بِإِذْنِهِ وَسِرَاجًا مُنِيرًا

And a caller to God by God's permission, and a radiant lamp.

And he was not sent alone but another witness sent with him:

أَفَمَنْ كَانَ عَلَىٰ بَيِّنَةٍ مِنْ رَبِّهِ وَيَتْلُوهُ شَاهِدٌ مِنْهُ وَمِنْ قَبْلِهِ كِتَابُ مُوسَىٰ إِمَامًا وَرَحْمَةً ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ يُؤْمِنُونَ بِهِ ۚ وَمَنْ يَكْفُرْ بِهِ مِنَ الْأَحْزَابِ فَالنَّارُ مَوْعِدُهُ ۚ فَلَا تَكُ فِي مِرْيَةٍ مِنْهُ ۚ إِنَّهُ الْحَقُّ مِنْ رَبِّكَ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ

Is he who stands on a manifest proof from his Lord, and whom a witness from him follows? And before him there was the Book of Musa a leader and mercy. It is they who have faith in it, and whoever defies him from among the factions, the Fire is their tryst. So do not be in doubt about it; it is the truth from your Lord, but most people do not have faith.

And such witnesses according to the next verse will testify on the day of judgment:

وَمَنْ أَظْلَمُ مِمَّنِ افْتَرَىٰ عَلَى اللَّهِ كَذِبًا ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ يُعْرَضُونَ عَلَىٰ رَبِّهِمْ وَيَقُولُ الْأَشْهَادُ هَٰؤُلَاءِ الَّذِينَ كَذَبُوا عَلَىٰ رَبِّهِمْ ۚ أَلَا لَعْنَةُ اللَّهِ عَلَى الظَّالِمِينَ

Who is a greater wrongdoer than him who fabricates a lie against Allah? Such shall be presented before their Lord, and the witnesses will say, ‘It is these who lied against their Lord.’ Behold! The curse of Allah is upon the wrongdoers

And such witnesses are those who God's favor to humanity is regarding:

وَمَنْ يُطِعِ اللَّهَ وَالرَّسُولَ فَأُولَٰئِكَ مَعَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِمْ مِنَ النَّبِيِّينَ وَالصِّدِّيقِينَ وَالشُّهَدَاءِ وَالصَّالِحِينَ ۚ وَحَسُنَ أُولَٰئِكَ رَفِيقًا

Whoever obeys Allah and the Messenger, they are with those whom Allah has favored (humanity with his religion) regarding from the prophets and the truthful, the witnesses and the righteous, and excellent companions are they!

And every people has such a witness among them:

فَكَيْفَ إِذَا جِئْنَا مِنْ كُلِّ أُمَّةٍ بِشَهِيدٍ وَجِئْنَا بِكَ عَلَىٰ هَٰؤُلَاءِ شَهِيدًا

So how shall it be, when We bring a witness from every people and We bring you as a witness to these?

Who are the leaders of the people of their time:

يَوْمَ نَدْعُو كُلَّ أُنَاسٍ بِإِمَامِهِمْ ۖ فَمَنْ أُوتِيَ كِتَابَهُ بِيَمِينِهِ فَأُولَٰئِكَ يَقْرَءُونَ كِتَابَهُمْ وَلَا يُظْلَمُونَ فَتِيلًا

The day We shall summon every group of people along with their leader, then whoever is given his book in his right hand—they will read it, and they will not be wronged so much as a single date-thread.

And such leaders are the chosen ones after Mohammad (s) and God with respect to his servants is seeing, aware:

وَالَّذِي أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ هُوَ الْحَقُّ مُصَدِّقًا لِمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بِعِبَادِهِ لَخَبِيرٌ بَصِيرٌ

And that which We have revealed to you of the Book, that is the truth verifying that which is before it; most surely with respect to His servants Allah is Aware, Seeing.

ثُمَّ أَوْرَثْنَا الْكِتَابَ الَّذِينَ اصْطَفَيْنَا مِنْ عِبَادِنَا ۖ فَمِنْهُمْ ظَالِمٌ لِنَفْسِهِ وَمِنْهُمْ مُقْتَصِدٌ وَمِنْهُمْ سَابِقٌ بِالْخَيْرَاتِ بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ هُوَ الْفَضْلُ الْكَبِيرُ

Then we inherited the book to those who we chosen of our servants so of them (ie. servants) is he who is oppressive towards himself, and who is on a middle course and who races ahead of all in good deeds, that is the great superiority.

Chosen from those who race ahead of all in good deeds, he chose them with Mohammad (s):

وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ ۚ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ ۚ مِلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ ۚ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِنْ قَبْلُ وَفِي هَٰذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ ۚ فَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ ۖ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَىٰ وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ

And strive for the sake of Allah a striving which is worthy of Him. He has chosen you and has not placed for you any hardship in the religion, the faith of your father, Abraham. He named you submitters before, and in this, so that the Messenger may be a witness to you, and that you may be witnesses to humanity. So maintain the prayer, give the zakat, and hold fast to Allah. He is your master—an excellent master and an excellent helper.

And such Guides have signs and proofs in form of miracles:

وَيَقُولُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لَوْلَا أُنْزِلَ عَلَيْهِ آيَةٌ مِنْ رَبِّهِ ۗ إِنَّمَا أَنْتَ مُنْذِرٌ ۖ وَلِكُلِّ قَوْمٍ هَادٍ

And those who disbelieve say: Why has not a sign been revealed regarding him from his Lord? You are only a warner and for every people, there is a guide.

Signs which soothsayers don't have:

أَمْ لَهُمْ سُلَّمٌ يَسْتَمِعُونَ فِيهِ ۖ فَلْيَأْتِ مُسْتَمِعُهُمْ بِسُلْطَانٍ مُبِينٍ

Do they have a ladder [leading up to heaven] whereby they hear? If so, let their listener produce a manifest authority.

And if anyone has authority given to Adam (a) and the successors of Adam (a) let them bring a proof:

أَمْ لَهُمْ مُلْكُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا ۖ فَلْيَرْتَقُوا فِي الْأَسْبَابِ

Or Do they have authority of the heavens and earth and what is between them so let ascend by means.

Proof of clear authority, like the Quran is for Ahlulbayt (a):

أَمْ لَكُمْ سُلْطَانٌ مُبِينٌ

Do you have a manifest authority?

فَأْتُوا بِكِتَابِكُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ صَادِقِينَ

Then bring your scripture, should you be truthful.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The book goes with Ahlulbayt (a) and Ali (a):

النَّبِيُّ أَوْلَىٰ بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ مِنْ أَنْفُسِهِمْ ۖ وَأَزْوَاجُهُ أُمَّهَاتُهُمْ ۗ وَأُولُو الْأَرْحَامِ بَعْضُهُمْ أَوْلَىٰ بِبَعْضٍ فِي كِتَابِ اللَّهِ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُهَاجِرِينَ إِلَّا أَنْ تَفْعَلُوا إِلَىٰ أَوْلِيَائِكُمْ مَعْرُوفًا ۚ كَانَ ذَٰلِكَ فِي الْكِتَابِ مَسْطُورًا

The Prophet has more Wilayah over believers then themselves and his wives are their mothers and the holders of kinship, some of them have more Wilayah then others, in the book of God from the believers and emigrants, only that you act towards your Awliya (Masters) with goodness, this is in the book is written.

And it's a covenant written in Quran about his family and taken by the Prophet (s) just as past Prophets (a) took with their people:

وَإِذْ أَخَذْنَا مِنَ النَّبِيِّينَ مِيثَاقَهُمْ وَمِنْكَ وَمِنْ نُوحٍ وَإِبْرَاهِيمَ وَمُوسَىٰ وَعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ ۖ وَأَخَذْنَا مِنْهُمْ مِيثَاقًا غَلِيظًا

And when We made a covenant with the prophets and with you, and with Nuh and Ibrahim and Musa and Isa, son of Marium, and We made with them a strong covenant

A covenant by which he rewards the honest to themselves and punishes the disbelievers:

لِيَسْأَلَ الصَّادِقِينَ عَنْ صِدْقِهِمْ ۚ وَأَعَدَّ لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَذَابًا أَلِيمًا

That he may ask the truthful about their truthfulness and has prepared the disbelievers a painful punishment.

A covenant taken by Musa (a) in the past with respect to the Messengers after him:

لَقَدْ أَخَذْنَا مِيثَاقَ بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ وَأَرْسَلْنَا إِلَيْهِمْ رُسُلًا ۖ كُلَّمَا جَاءَهُمْ رَسُولٌ بِمَا لَا تَهْوَىٰ أَنْفُسُهُمْ فَرِيقًا كَذَّبُوا وَفَرِيقًا يَقْتُلُونَ

Certainly We took a covenant from the Children of Israel, and We sent Messengers to them. Whenever a Messenger brought them that which was not to their liking, they would deny some, and some they would slay.

And not only did God take a covenant with the family of Harun (a) who were the Messenger, but showed the number of the family of Musa (a) and Harun (a) with respect to successors:

وَلَقَدْ أَخَذَ اللَّهُ مِيثَاقَ بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ وَبَعَثْنَا مِنْهُمُ اثْنَيْ عَشَرَ نَقِيبًا ۖ وَقَالَ اللَّهُ إِنِّي مَعَكُمْ ۖ لَئِنْ أَقَمْتُمُ الصَّلَاةَ وَآتَيْتُمُ الزَّكَاةَ وَآمَنْتُمْ بِرُسُلِي وَعَزَّرْتُمُوهُمْ وَأَقْرَضْتُمُ اللَّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا لَأُكَفِّرَنَّ عَنْكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَلَأُدْخِلَنَّكُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِنْ تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ ۚ فَمَنْ كَفَرَ بَعْدَ ذَٰلِكَ مِنْكُمْ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ سَوَاءَ السَّبِيلِ

Certainly Allah took a pledge from the children of Israel, and We raised among them twelve Captains And Allah said, ‘I am with you! Surely, if you maintain the prayer and give the zakat and have faith in My Messengers and support them and lend Allah a good loan, I will surely absolve you of your misdeeds, and I will surely admit you into gardens with streams running in them. But whoever of you disbelieves after that has certainly strayed from the right way.’

Captains as "by the name of God is it's sailing and anchoring..." and who were one way from one perspective, split into twelve ways from another:

وَمِنْ قَوْمِ مُوسَىٰ أُمَّةٌ يَهْدُونَ بِالْحَقِّ وَبِهِ يَعْدِلُونَ
And of Musa's people was a way/course who guided (people) with the truth, and thereby did they do justice.

وَقَطَّعْنَاهُمُ اثْنَتَيْ عَشْرَةَ أَسْبَاطًا أُمَمًا ۚ وَأَوْحَيْنَا إِلَىٰ مُوسَىٰ إِذِ اسْتَسْقَاهُ قَوْمُهُ أَنِ اضْرِبْ بِعَصَاكَ الْحَجَرَ ۖ فَانْبَجَسَتْ مِنْهُ اثْنَتَا عَشْرَةَ عَيْنًا ۖ قَدْ عَلِمَ كُلُّ أُنَاسٍ مَشْرَبَهُمْ ۚ وَظَلَّلْنَا عَلَيْهِمُ الْغَمَامَ وَأَنْزَلْنَا عَلَيْهِمُ الْمَنَّ وَالسَّلْوَىٰ ۖ كُلُوا مِنْ طَيِّبَاتِ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ ۚ وَمَا ظَلَمُونَا وَلَٰكِنْ كَانُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ يَظْلِمُونَ

We split them up into twelve branches as ways/courses, and We revealed to Moses, when his people asked him for water, [saying], ‘Strike the rock with your staff,’ whereat twelve springs gushed forth from it. Every people came to know its drinking-place. And We shaded them with clouds, and We sent down to them manna and quails: ‘Eat of the good things We have provided you.’ And they did not wrong Us, but they used to wrong [only] themselves

And twelve places to drink were twelve after Musa (a), no less, no more, and this is the upright religion:

إِنَّ عِدَّةَ الشُّهُورِ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ اثْنَا عَشَرَ شَهْرًا فِي كِتَابِ اللَّهِ يَوْمَ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ مِنْهَا أَرْبَعَةٌ حُرُمٌ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ ۚ فَلَا تَظْلِمُوا فِيهِنَّ أَنْفُسَكُمْ ۚ وَقَاتِلُوا الْمُشْرِكِينَ كَافَّةً كَمَا يُقَاتِلُونَكُمْ كَافَّةً ۚ وَاعْلَمُوا أَنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الْمُتَّقِينَ

Indeed the number of luminaries to be turned to for enlightenment (after Mohammad) is twelve the day God created the heavens and earth, four of them are sacred that is the upright religion so do not wrong yourselves with respect to them and fight the polytheists all together as they fight you all together.

And delaying Ali (a) or any Imam (a) is disbelief and would violate the sacred number made by God:

إِنَّمَا النَّسِيءُ زِيَادَةٌ فِي الْكُفْرِ ۖ يُضَلُّ بِهِ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا يُحِلُّونَهُ عَامًا وَيُحَرِّمُونَهُ عَامًا لِيُوَاطِئُوا عِدَّةَ مَا حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ فَيُحِلُّوا مَا حَرَّمَ اللَّهُ ۚ زُيِّنَ لَهُمْ سُوءُ أَعْمَالِهِمْ ۗ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الْكَافِرِينَ

Postponing (of such a luminary) is only an addition in unbelief, wherewith those who disbelieve are led astray, violating it with respect to one generic and keeping it sacred with anther generic, that they may fit with a number that Allah has made sacred, and thus violate what Allah has made sacred; the evil of their doings is made adornment to them; and Allah does not guide the unbelieving people.

And the if they went straight:

وَأَنْ لَوِ اسْتَقَامُوا عَلَى الطَّرِيقَةِ لَأَسْقَيْنَاهُمْ مَاءً غَدَقًا

And that if they should keep to the (right) way, We would certainly give them to drink of abundant water,

Just as Bani-Israel would have had it had they kept straight:

وَإِذِ اسْتَسْقَىٰ مُوسَىٰ لِقَوْمِهِ فَقُلْنَا اضْرِبْ بِعَصَاكَ الْحَجَرَ ۖ فَانْفَجَرَتْ مِنْهُ اثْنَتَا عَشْرَةَ عَيْنًا ۖ قَدْ عَلِمَ كُلُّ أُنَاسٍ مَشْرَبَهُمْ ۖ كُلُوا وَاشْرَبُوا مِنْ رِزْقِ اللَّهِ وَلَا تَعْثَوْا فِي الْأَرْضِ مُفْسِدِينَ

And when Moses prayed for water for his people, We said, ‘Strike the rock with your staff.’ Thereat twelve fountains gushed forth from it; every tribe came to know its drinking-place. ‘Eat and drink of Allah’s provision, and do not act wickedly on the earth, causing corruption.’

Fountains and springs which were a cure to the hard heart:

ثُمَّ قَسَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْ مِنْ بَعْدِ ذَٰلِكَ فَهِيَ كَالْحِجَارَةِ أَوْ أَشَدُّ قَسْوَةً ۚ وَإِنَّ مِنَ الْحِجَارَةِ لَمَا يَتَفَجَّرُ مِنْهُ الْأَنْهَارُ ۚ وَإِنَّ مِنْهَا لَمَا يَشَّقَّقُ فَيَخْرُجُ مِنْهُ الْمَاءُ ۚ وَإِنَّ مِنْهَا لَمَا يَهْبِطُ مِنْ خَشْيَةِ اللَّهِ ۗ وَمَا اللَّهُ بِغَافِلٍ عَمَّا تَعْمَلُونَ

Then your hearts hardened after that; so they are like stones, or even harder. For there are some stones from which streams gush forth, and there are some of them that split, and water issues from them, and there are some that fall for the fear of Allah. And Allah is not oblivious of what you do.

And the miracles of Musa and his staff were not enough to make them fear Allah (swt) with respect to his twelve successors:

فَبِمَا نَقْضِهِمْ مِيثَاقَهُمْ لَعَنَّاهُمْ وَجَعَلْنَا قُلُوبَهُمْ قَاسِيَةً ۖ يُحَرِّفُونَ الْكَلِمَ عَنْ مَوَاضِعِهِ ۙ وَنَسُوا حَظًّا مِمَّا ذُكِّرُوا بِهِ ۚ وَلَا تَزَالُ تَطَّلِعُ عَلَىٰ خَائِنَةٍ مِنْهُمْ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا مِنْهُمْ ۖ فَاعْفُ عَنْهُمْ وَاصْفَحْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُحِبُّ الْمُحْسِنِينَ

But on account of their breaking their covenant We cursed them and made their hearts hard; they altered the words from their places and they neglected a portion of what they were reminded of; and you shall always discover treachery in them excepting a few of them; so pardon them and turn away; surely Allah loves those who do good (to others).

As a result of denial of guides who perform such miracles, there were a period without a Guide in public:

وَمَا مَنَعَنَا أَنْ نُرْسِلَ بِالْآيَاتِ إِلَّا أَنْ كَذَّبَ بِهَا الْأَوَّلُونَ ۚ وَآتَيْنَا ثَمُودَ النَّاقَةَ مُبْصِرَةً فَظَلَمُوا بِهَا ۚ وَمَا نُرْسِلُ بِالْآيَاتِ إِلَّا تَخْوِيفًا

Nothing kept Us from sending signs except that the former peoples denied them. We gave Thamud the she-camel as an eye-opener, but they wronged her. We do not send the signs except as to cause fear.

As such the Guide like Elyas (a) during period between Isa (a) and Mohammad (s) is not in public now:

وَيَقُولُونَ لَوْلَا أُنْزِلَ عَلَيْهِ آيَةٌ مِنْ رَبِّهِ ۖ فَقُلْ إِنَّمَا الْغَيْبُ لِلَّهِ فَانْتَظِرُوا إِنِّي مَعَكُمْ مِنَ الْمُنْتَظِرِينَ

They say, ‘Why has not a sign regarding him been revealed from his Lord?’ Say, ‘the hiding/hidden is only up to Allah. So wait. I too am waiting along with you.’

So let's patiently wait and pray to be guided by the hands of the Guide of our time.