• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Case For Integrity In Self Representation.

Ellen Brown

Do we owe it to others to honestly represent who we are? There are some things that I'd really like to know about someone before I talk to them, but that depends on the context of our interaction. In getting Gasoline for my car, it doesn't matter to me if the person pumping it is a High School dropout or a Biology Phd. In the case of discussing what we believe about the Universe, it is relevant to know if someone has lots of Science and Math background, or if they are just a Galactic oggler like me.

In the case of Religion, I most certainly want to know what, or if someone believes in a Creator. I'm most comfortable in the Abrahamic slice of the pie, yet know that perhaps the majority of Humanity lies outside that realm. I really see a significant difference in perspective between Eastern Orthodox, and Baptists, or Catholics and Jehovah's Witnesses. AND, of major importance to me is knowing if I will be told the truth about their belief. I know that the members of at least two belief systems consider it acceptable to lie to non members about their "Deep Doctrine". For me that is so far below the level of decent humanity, that if I know about it, I won't talk to them at all unless it is to get Gasoline for my car.

In my own case, these days I'm not very firm on lots of belief and hope that is not offensive to the One I believe in.

Katja

I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you mean that in these discussions, everyone should have to write out a complete faith statement before they're allowed to post, or...? I mean, this seems to me to be a place where people are unlikely to lie about what their beliefs are... if someone posts "I believe this" or "I think that," I'm unlikely to think they're lying. (Should I assume they're lying? Am I overly-naive?)

Ellen Brown

I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you mean that in these discussions, everyone should have to write out a complete faith statement before they're allowed to post, or...? I mean, this seems to me to be a place where people are unlikely to lie about what their beliefs are... if someone posts "I believe this" or "I think that," I'm unlikely to think they're lying. (Should I assume they're lying? Am I overly-naive?)

In my opinion, denomination should be sufficient.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's sometimes quite helpful. A few months ago we had three couples over for dinner, none of whom new much about others---we were essentially their lone commonality. As we sat their eating the first course the conversation was light and not very engaging, everyone politely staying away from the typical controversial subjects. Then my wife, trying to brighten up the conversation, and knowing everyone's political leanings, spoke up and said, "You know, everyone here is a Democrat." My god, it was like they'd all been given permission to fart in church. Everyone at the table broke into animated discussions about Trump and Company that lasted until the sorbet was gone and the dishes cleared.

So, yeah, sometimes there a time and place for divulging certain information, and sometimes knowing it can be a real asset.

Ellen Brown

It's sometimes quite helpful. A few months ago we had three couples over for dinner, none of whom new much about others---we were essentially their lone commonality. As we sat their eating the first course the conversation was light and not very engaging, everyone politely staying away from the typical controversial subjects. Then my wife, trying to brighten up the conversation, and knowing everyone's political leanings, spoke up and said, "You know, everyone here is a Democrat." My god, it was like they'd all been given permission to fart in church. Everyone at the table broke into animated discussions about Trump and Company that lasted until the sorbet was gone and the dishes cleared.

So, yeah, sometimes there a time and place for divulging certain information, and sometimes knowing it can be a real asset.

Oddly, I consider myself a Republican from to old school, with a strong bipartisan bent. I just don't know what you'd call this latest crop of them?