• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Canaanite Religion? Anyone can tell me about it?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I've met at least one Canaanite on this forum, and I'm curious about the belief system, since Canaan and Egypt were ancient neighbors. What do our belief systems share in common?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
*bump- I was asking a serious question. There are still Canaanite practitioners who practice a reconstruct form I believe.

Killetzbaal

Priest of Baal
El is the creator. His wife and him gives birth to baal. Baal has three wives, Asherah, Anath, and Tanit. Mot is the god of death, and is the enemy of Baal. He slays baal. Anath brings baal back from the dead in springtime.

Tellurian

I've met at least one Canaanite on this forum, and I'm curious about the belief system, since Canaan and Egypt were ancient neighbors. What do our belief systems share in common?

The ancient Jewish religion evolved from the Egyptian, Canaanite, and Mesopotamian religions. The following Christian site shows how the Jewish religion evolved from the Canaanite religion, in which Yahweh was a minor god in the Canaanite pantheon of gods.

Ugarit and the Bible

Benilu

Kinahnu
If anyone is still interested in Canaanite religion I could give them a lot of information. What specifically do people want to know about?

Ben-Tanit

Kohen Asherah
Canaanite here :)

Ancient Egyptian religion and Canaanism share at least one god I am aware of - which is Horus (in Egyptian Hur, in Hebrew Horon). One of the great revivalist of Canaanite mythology and movement in Israel, was called "Adaya Horon", he took that name after the Egypto-Canaanite god.

El/El Elyon (God/supreme God in Canaanite languages) is the supreme god of the Canaanite pantheon.
He is the husband of Asherah (many times called "Elat" - from here derives the name of the Israeli port city "Eilat").

El and Asherah had three daughters (if you count Pheonician/Carthegian mythology): Anat, Ashtoret and Tanit.

El and Asherah also had 4 sons: Ba'al, Shemesh, Yam and Mot.

El also had 2 sons (twins) from a human mother: Shalem and Shahar.

The gods that I worship are mainly three*:
* Asherah - my main goddess, the mother goddess, goddess of the sea, of nature and of love. Her worship is done by erecting or carving wood into her shape. On the 9th of Av a tree is planted in her honor (something that stayed in Judaism).
* Tanit - goddess of war, of the hunt and of fertility. Her worship is feed pigeons (her representatives on earth). Also, cooking lamp and eating it with milk (a prohibition that stayed in Judaism).
* Shalem - god of sunset, protector of Jerusalem (Jerusalem is named in his honor - Jeru-SHALEM). His worship is fasting from sunset to sunrise once a week.

*All those practices are the practices that I preform

I think you might be interested in (if you don't know of it already) the Natib Qadish: Modern Canaanite Polytheism website. :)

I really don't like Natib Qadish, mainly because they see no reason that Canaanism should be connected to the land of Israel (=Canaan) and they have poor knowledge in Canaanite society, culture and languages.

lastsplash00

I disagree I think tess is quite balanced but its always good to have more perspectives on this subject. There are also peoples who use these deities in their occult practices. Canaan encompassed the majority of the levant before Judaism and Israel, which is logically based on this why many Jews have a different approach with the Cannanite religion encompassing other elements , but everyone can do what they feel is best for them. There is no right or wrong. Sometimes I feel I wish there was more depth in a lot of her writing but none the less I think her work is good and really solid if you can try to get the most out of it.

The majority of modern Arabs in palestine, syria, lebanon and parts of jordan, without necessarily knowing their about Cannanite hertiage, could open up to Canaanite polytheism much like the jews and north africans of this hertiage. But then again anyone is free to get into this religion without any heritage claims, that obviously is not at all what any kind of spirituality is based around.

In recent years there been have been quite a number of middle easterners re-discovering their polytheistic heritage which is good because its bad enough all these cultures and languages are seen as extinct.

Last edited: