• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cake Thread

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
A friend and I are gathering on Sundays, baking a cake from a different country each week. Some weeks go better than others, but they all lead to a cake.

This was today's cake; it may have been my favorite so far: Kerrin's Belgian Tea Cake Recipe - Food.com

What are your favorite(or otherwise notable) cakes?

(@Secret Chief, I expect you'll be interested in this thread.)

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Usually too dry.

There can really be a lot of variety on that.

Some of the cakes we've made have been sweetened with sugar syrups(that you let seep into the well poked cake). They are quite dense and anything but dry.

My mom used to make this cake when I was a kid. Its anything but dry(probably appropriate to the name). Better Than Sex Cake Recipe

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
For me it's that the buttercream frosting is usually to thick, sugary and sweet.

I feel frosting is often overdone.

In our 'cake adventures', we're through Belgium(we're doing this in alphabetical order), we actually have not had a 'frosted' cake yet, at least in the way we frost them here in the US.

Glaze, syrup, bit of cream on top, powdere sugar or cocoa in small amounts, sometimes nothing at all. But no frosting yet.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
cake.jpg

The Crimson Universe

Here, we don't get a lot of flavours or variety. Only the basic flavours like chocolate, vanilla and strawberry are mostly sold.
Also I don't like the icing/cream much. If its a no-cream cake, then I'll definitely go for it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Victoria sponge. British
Victoria-sponge-cake-2-960x960-c-default.jpg

Not precisely a cake, a tarte tatin from France
1001192.jpg

And as a bonus, more french i have learned.

Cherry clafoutis.
CherryClafoutis4-500x500.jpg

All firm favourites of ours

Heyo

Veteran Member
A friend and I are gathering on Sundays, baking a cake from a different country each week. Some weeks go better than others, but they all lead to a cake.

This was today's cake; it may have been my favorite so far: Kerrin's Belgian Tea Cake Recipe - Food.com

Ultimativer Bienenstich von zuckerbaecker | Chefkoch

Yes, it's in German but your favourite translation tool will get you a decent translation. It requires advanced skills and more steps than your usual brownie cake but it's worth it.

exchemist

Veteran Member

As I think I may have posted on another thread, my favourite is a simple classic Victoria sponge, flavoured with vanilla and with raspberry jam filling.

I don't frost the top, just dust with a little icing sugar, to avoid it becoming too cloying and sweet, which is something I dislike. Specimen below:-

upload_2022-6-27_10-19-42.jpeg

I now bake a half cake (single round cut in half to make sandwich) like this to take to my aged father in his nursing home every week. It's his favourite. I don't do a whole one as he eats one slice per day and you get 8 slices per half. If I do a whole one I end up eating half myself, which is not a good habit to get into.

This cake goes particularly well with a nice cup of Indian tea with a dash of milk added, ideally a Darjeeling/Assam blend properly brewed from loose leaf tea, rather than one of those execrable teabags;). Served at 4:30-5pm or so, it gives you the classic English teatime experience.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A plain sponge cake drizzled with alcohol. Just enough to moisten the cake and give it a kick but not to much to make it a soggy mess.

The type of alcohol can give it a country/regional twist.

Whisky = Scotland
Cognac or Brandy= France.
Limoncello or Amaretto (Disoronno) = Italy
Etc