• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Brutal Math Of Poverty

rojse

RF Addict
I'm assuming that your link was a joke, though I don't see how it applies. However, I corrected mine, and thank you for pointing it out.

My mistake - I did copy the link, but my computer stuffed up, and put in the wrong link.

I did read your link. Quite interesting, particularly how some people are predatory towards the homeless, such as advance credit loans.

J Bryson

My mistake - I did copy the link, but my computer stuffed up, and put in the wrong link.

I did read your link. Quite interesting, particularly how some people are predatory towards the homeless, such as advance credit loans.

The credit card loans are just the tip of the iceberg. There's an entire industry based on poverty out there, and it flourishes due to having a captive audience. Add to that the fact that middle-class and wealthy people can generally afford lasting items (clothing, furniture, etc), whereas poor people tend to have to settle for cheaper items that cost less in the short run, but wear out so quickly that they need to be replaced on a regular basis.

rojse

RF Addict
The credit card loans are just the tip of the iceberg. There's an entire industry based on poverty out there, and it flourishes due to having a captive audience. Add to that the fact that middle-class and wealthy people can generally afford lasting items (clothing, furniture, etc), whereas poor people tend to have to settle for cheaper items that cost less in the short run, but wear out so quickly that they need to be replaced on a regular basis.

It seems that you managed to get out of the poverty trap, but then, I bet you know quite a lot of people whom were not fortunate enough to do so.

I don't know why you haven't got any more responses - I thought at the very least Rick would post to tell you why that link was all wrong, and why capitalism is so great.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Why you have to be rich to be poor.

I've experienced this myself. Like the White Queen said, around here it takes all the running that you can do to stay in the same place.....
Thank you for this, it was very informative.

I knew the poor had it rough, and that it's difficult to move up the poverty line. But all this info makes it clearer. I never realized how scary that would be. I come from a middle class family (I believe middle-middle, not quite sure). So far, I only have a BA in Music. Not much you can do with that, so right now I'm working at Cold Stone (an ice cream shop) making minimum plus tips. I'm going back to school ASAP so that I can get another degree in a more useful field. Now I'm even more driven to do so, as I CANNOT let myself fall into that hole.

I can't say that this is anywhere near comparable to the hardships of poverty, but it really annoys me.

My parents can't afford to pay the entire cost of going to school, so I apply for financial aid. They deny me, because they say my parents make too much money. Even if I were to say "I'm paying for it all by myself," they will still deny me for the exact same reason. I have no idea how this system works, and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Yeah, being poor sucks. You get used to it though, and just try to improve yourself. My big goal in life is not to be rich, nah, that's greedy. I just want to be comfortable.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Things like that remind me of how lucky I am, and to not take it for granted.

Hear! Hear!

Thanks for the article. I haven't finished it yet, but I will later when I have more time. Very informative, and very putting-me-in-my-place.

looks a bit more like an opionion rather then serious study, but it does make some valid points

rageoftyrael

Veritas
true, i own a 360, a computer, have my own room, and drink soda all the time. I'm not that bad off. I'm poor by definition, but by no means am i in the ghetto.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
true, i own a 360, a computer, have my own room, and drink soda all the time. I'm not that bad off. I'm poor by definition, but by no means am i in the ghetto.

I'm curious what definition of "poor" you fit. By my definition, someone who has a 360, a computer, a room of their own and a daily supply of soda is not poor.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Well, i make less then 15,000 a year, if that is any indication of my poorness. Saving money will get you the things you want though. Plus, i have roommates, so i don't have to pay all the bills. That makes things easier. So, honestly, while i am in fact below the poverty line, i have help, so it is manageable.