1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The book of Revelation should be discarded

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by JJ50, Jan 8, 2019.

1. JJ50

JJ50 Active Member

Ratings:
    +328
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Revelation, which very nearly didn't make it into the Bible, is open to a myriad of interpretations, many of which are completely off the wall. They would be amusing if it wasn't for extreme Biblical literalists who use that book to bolster their crazy end times and hell fire threats.

The moderate Christians of my acquaintance don't buy Revelation at all, and share my thoughts on the topic.

What do posters on this forum think about ditching that book?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Altfish

Altfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,885
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Why stop at this one book? Discard them all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,063
    Should not be interpreted. It says that at the end of it.

So since its not interpretable you are proposing getting rid if it? Why?

4. WalterTrull

WalterTrull Godfella

Ratings:
    +747
    Mehh... Don't discard it. Not for literal consumption though. Folks trying to say stuff. I'm not sure what sometimes. Often I think I get a piece of it. When you observe a piece of art for a while you start to see all kinds of things in it. You'll never know whether or not the author intended what you see, but it doesn't really matter. Insights come.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,906
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    The main teaching of most teachers I know is "Live in the moment"
    I see book of Revelation as a "test" of the "universal teacher"
    Many people are too much intrigued by the future
    Thereby failing this test

So I think it is a good book, that should not be discarded (just control your curiosity and don't read it)

6. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    Revelation 1:3 is a good enough reason to read the book of Revelation. Besides the prophetic element of Revelation there is a lot of doctrinal material that would be sorely missed. And I myself believe in and count on the prophecies also. Although I do understand why some people choose not to even try to understand the prophetic element.

7. Faithofchristian

Faithofchristian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +444
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well first of all, man didn't make the decision whether or not the book of Revelation should be added.

Seeing the book of Revelation belongs to Christ Jesus, then of course Christ Jesus would see to it that his book of Revelation was added. To give account of his second coming and what is to happen just before his coming and after his coming.

In the book of Revelation, there's one prophecy that is to happen that brings about Christ Jesus second coming, Until this prophecy happens Christ Jesus can not return until this last prophecy happens first, and when this prophecy happens the tribulation is over.

8. JJ50

JJ50 Active Member

Ratings:
    +328
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Of course it was humans who put together the documents making up the Bible, it was their decision, not that of any god.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Faithofchristian

Ratings:
    +444
    Religion:
    Christian
    The question is, Who exactly was behind putting together the documents making up the bible?

Seeing that you said ( not that of any god)

By this statement of yours speaks for itself self.

The only reason people will say the book of Revelation should be discarded, is because those people have no understanding or knowledge what the book of Revelation supports or Confirm's.

Those people have no clue or idea where to start to begin to make any sense of Revelation.

So what people do is condemn what they don't understand or have any knowledge about.

#9 Faithofchristian, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  10. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity holy roly poly
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,459
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian almost quaker
    In general a scripture can become toxic when used as weapon to accuse other groups. Children grow up not knowing what has been done, and so they think its always been that way. We all wear egg.

***edit removed stuff***

11. JJ50

JJ50 Active Member

Ratings:
    +328
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    The Bible comes over as a very human creation with no input from any external entity.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 1213

1213 Active Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Religion:
    Disciple of Jesus
    I think it is good warning. And it seems to be correct about the future.

13. Faithofchristian

Ratings:
    +444
    Religion:
    Christian
    So you say

14. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    Religion:
    Catholic
    And in this case the 'art' is literary genre with roots in Ezekiel and Zechariah and especially IV Ezra and II Baruch, more contemporary with Rev. Apocalyptic literature tends to visualize what is happening in heaven and on earth at the same time and can only be expressed by elaborate symbols. The bottom line, God will triumph over evil.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity holy roly poly
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,459
    Religion:
    Liberal Christian almost quaker
    After giving it some thought, I don't think anyone has the clout to make changes to canon now. Its best if we investigate the book and explicitly explain it, instead. This is something people are hesitant to do, because this is supposed to be a mysterious book that goes unexplained and only becomes relevant to certain people who become able to read it. Unfortunately it has gone into wide circulation and has become a tool in the hands of accusers and diviners.

16. Firemorphic

Firemorphic Whatever, tell me something I haven't heard before

Ratings:
    +187
    Religion:
    Shia Islam (Twelver)
    If you have a workable knowledge of the Tanakh, I don't see how the book of Revelation could cause someone such struggle when much of the ambiguity disappears with the aforementioned knowledge of the contents of Tanakh.

(P.S. Revelation is a cool text to read in general too, although it has no baring on me spiritually, being a non-Christian)

17. Ancient Soul

Ancient Soul The Spiritual Universe

Ratings:
    +99
    Religion:
    None
    ****, I wanted to click on the "Winner" icon, but in my rush I hit funny instead. Sorry.

It's a Winner post in my book.

18. Ancient Soul

Ancient Soul The Spiritual Universe

Ratings:
    +99
    Religion:
    None
    I'm glad that the book of Revelation is in the bible.

As the sheer insanity and evilness of it clashed with my Spirit of God when we got to it in bible study, so was a critical factor in helping me break free of the Christian brainwashing and I got the hell OUT!

So I (Shudder) would have probably still been a brainwashed Christian minion if it wasn't for Revelation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. IndigoChild5559

IndigoChild5559 Tolkienite

Ratings:
    +408
    Religion:
    Judaism
    The inclusions of Revelation in the canon of the Christian Scriptures was made on the collective authority of the Catholic/EO bishops (they were one church at that time) during an ecumenical council. I see no reasons why Protestants, who reject the authority of the church and the infallibility of the Councils, couldn't drop Revelation, or any other book they want. Or add.

20. JJ50

JJ50 Active Member

Ratings:
    +328
    Religion:
    Agnostic

I think Revelation is a crazy book, and wonder if the guy was drunk when he wrote it.