• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Book of Mormon vs. The King James Version of the Bible

Watchmen

Premium Member
Questions.

1. Why are there translation errors from the 1769 edition of the KJV of the Bible found in the Book of Mormon?

2. Why are the italicized words from the KJV of the Bible (words the translators added themselves, and so noted by italics) also found in the Book of Mormon?

3. Why do verses in the Book of Mormon that follow the Bible repeat what was in the KJV of the Bible rather than Joseph Smith's inspired version of the Bible?

Prestor John

Questions.

1. Why are there translation errors from the 1769 edition of the KJV of the Bible found in the Book of Mormon?

2. Why are the italicized words from the KJV of the Bible (words the translators added themselves, and so noted by italics) also found in the Book of Mormon?

3. Why do verses in the Book of Mormon that follow the Bible repeat what was in the KJV of the Bible rather than Joseph Smith's inspired version of the Bible?
Would you mind providing the verses in question?

Would you mind providing the verses in question?

We could start there. I think OP was setting up some items he wanted to knock down and was waiting for you to google them. You really don't need too. You can play his game if you want.

Obviously there were not magic translation stones that allowed someone to interpret golden plates that are now gone and evaporated to heaven and no one crossed the ocean in a canoe although that is more likely than some entire village carved boats out of trees and sailed to america and the whole racist theme which has been progressively edited out of the Book of Mormon after successive revisions.

This is a very recent religion. All religions are religions and nearly all adherents of their religion will explain to you that their religion is correct and all other religions are missing something which is why their religion is true. It could be muslims, mormons, catholics, jehovah witnesses or whatever.... They are all convinced they are right and want to convince others.

Setting up a red herring argument of the X-Men Vs. The Defenders or Superman Vs the hulk is fun to think about.

But its just a comic book. IMHO Mormonism is not fact based but has inspired a motivated base of supporters who argue that your fiction is just as likely as theirs...

Prestor John

We could start there. I think OP was setting up some items he wanted to knock down and was waiting for you to google them. You really don't need too. You can play his game if you want.

Obviously there were not magic translation stones that allowed someone to interpret golden plates that are now gone and evaporated to heaven and no one crossed the ocean in a canoe although that is more likely than some entire village carved boats out of trees and sailed to america and the whole racist theme which has been progressively edited out of the Book of Mormon after successive revisions.

This is a very recent religion. All religions are religions and nearly all adherents of their religion will explain to you that their religion is correct and all other religions are missing something which is why their religion is true. It could be muslims, mormons, catholics, jehovah witnesses or whatever.... They are all convinced they are right and want to convince others.

Setting up a red herring argument of the X-Men Vs. The Defenders or Superman Vs the hulk is fun to think about.

But its just a comic book. IMHO Mormonism is not fact based but has inspired a motivated base of supporters who argue that your fiction is just as likely as theirs...
I have had spiritual experiences that have led me to believe that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God.

You have not had any spiritual experiences that have led you to believe that either the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith are sources for truth.

How are our arguments any different?

Watchmen

Premium Member
How about 3 Nephi 13:25-27 and Mathew 6:25-27? Why does the Book of Mormon passage match the KJV rather than the Joseph Smith inspired version?

Watchmen

Premium Member
I have had spiritual experiences that have led me to believe that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God.

You have not had any spiritual experiences that have led you to believe that either the Book of Mormon or Joseph Smith are sources for truth.

How are our arguments any different?
Because his argument isn't based on magic feelings or lack thereof. His argument is based on reason, logic, and actual evidence.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yes and why is the book of Mormon written in the king James style, I believe because its all made up from the king James, and Smiths own ideas added, that's it, this is what I believe.

Skwim

Veteran Member
FWIW:

3 Nephi 13:25-27

25 And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked upon the twelve whom he had chosen, and said unto them: Remember the words which I have spoken. For behold, ye are they whom I have chosen to minister unto this people.

Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air, for they sow not, neither do they reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

Matthew 6:25-27King James Version

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

Prestor John

Because his argument isn't based on magic feelings or lack thereof.
Actually, his argument is solely based on the lack of a spiritual experience.
His argument is based on reason, logic, and actual evidence.
What reason or logic has he presented? All he did was share his opinion.

What actual evidence prove his opinion to be correct?

This post was so dishonest that it is disgusting.

Prestor John

Yes and why is the book of Mormon written in the king James style, I believe because its all made up from the king James, and Smiths own ideas added, that's it, this is what I believe.
So, you don't consider the fact that the Book of Mormon was a translated record?

Prestor John

How about 3 Nephi 13:25-27 and Mathew 6:25-27? Why does the Book of Mormon passage match the KJV rather than the Joseph Smith inspired version?
I am not trying to answer your question with another question, but I need some clarification.

What do you believe the Inspired Version of the Bible to be?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Actually, his argument is solely based on the lack of a spiritual experience..
I call bull ****.
Why?
Cause if your whole argument hinges on the mysterious, explainable, extremely highly subjective "spiritual" you do not have an "argument" outside your choir.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
What do you believe the Inspired Version of the Bible to be?
All of them.
Unless you are asking about inspired by "God".
Once again, based upon the claims of the adherents, all of them.

Unfortunately, all any of them have in support of their claims of god inspired is their belief that it is god inspired.
Which works fine for the choir, not so much for those outside their choir.

And no, I am not talking about the atheists.
Hells bells, atheists only make a puny portion of those not in the choirs.

Prestor John

I call bull ****.
Why?
Cause if your whole argument hinges on the mysterious, explainable, extremely highly subjective "spiritual" you do not have an "argument" outside your choir.
And his argument hinges on what? What "evidence" does he or anyone have to disprove the things of God?

You'd have to have a contradicting spiritual experience in order to even have a claim to calling "bull" on my spiritual experience because there is no physical evidence that can disprove it.
All of them.
Unless you are asking about inspired by "God".
Once again, based upon the claims of the adherents, all of them.

Unfortunately, all any of them have in support of their claims of god inspired is their belief that it is god inspired.
Which works fine for the choir, not so much for those outside their choir.

And no, I am not talking about the atheists.
Hells bells, atheists only make a puny portion of those not in the choirs.
No, you don't know what we are talking about.

He asked me about Joseph Smith's Inspired Version of the Bible. It's this whole thing.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Actually, his argument is solely based on the lack of a spiritual experience.

What reason or logic has he presented? All he did was share his opinion.

What actual evidence prove his opinion to be correct?

This post was so dishonest that it is disgusting.
Obviously you don't know how to read and so you don't understand his points.