• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Book of Mormon Musical - anyone see this?

Timothy Bryce

By Parker and Stone. Has been touring around since Broadway in 2011. Expected to be in Australia in 2017.

I haven't seen it yet myself. Anyone seen it? Sounds hysterical. Controversial as hell.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't think I'd see it just on principle.

Exit question: Would anyone think to go see "The Qur'an: The Musical"
Double-dog dare ya... No doubt it would be a real blast...

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't seen the musical, but i have the 'album' of it. Very funny, really good musical songs, and hearing the African version of Joseph smith and the Mormons. Hilarious.
Africa? Oh boy! like Lion King!
What source did you find that claimed TBOM is coming to Australia?

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Actually, I've seen it. My husband and I saw it in London. Obviously, as a Mormon, I pretty much knew that I was going to have to put on an extra layer of skin before going in. Here's my review: It was hilariously funny. The music and the choreography were incredible. For the most part, the satire against Mormonism was actually not at all offensive. (I think it's good for people to be able to laugh at themselves.) Of course there were some instances in which what was presented as a Mormon belief was just flat out wrong/inaccurate. What I mean by that is that I see satire or parody as an exaggeration, not as an outright lie. Sometimes the script went beyond satire or parody. That kind of bugged me, but it didn't happen all that often. The only thing I didn't like was the way, way overdone vulgarity. For the most part, it was directed, not towards the Mormon Church, but towards God. I found that offensive and, frankly, unnecessary. I think any Christian would be put off by the vulgarity, but it was otherwise really good. And it actually ended up on a kind of a positive note towards Mormonism, which I obviously liked. When my husband and I came out of the theatre, we were talking about it. We decided that we loved about 75% of it and were kind of put off by the other 25%.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
That's really nice of you to say!

I found it interesting that, rather than resorting to violence against people who attack us, the Mormon Church simply takes out several full-page ads in the playbill. They say things like, "You've seen the play. Now read the book," and "The book's always better."

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
My wife and I saw it. I found it very entertaining. It was funny, the songs were catchy, and it was well performed. It's probably one of the few musicals I'd be interested to see again.

Timothy Bryce

I haven't seen the musical, but i have the 'album' of it. Very funny, really good musical songs, and hearing the African version of Joseph smith and the Mormons. Hilarious.
Africa? Oh boy! like Lion King!
What source did you find that claimed TBOM is coming to Australia?

A couple of sources recently.

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2015/04/27/the-book-of-mormon-confirms-australian-debut/

All the reviews of this performance seem to be overwhelmingly positive too; a real rarity in the art/entertainment world - let alone regarding such a seemingly controversial text to boot.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
By Parker and Stone. Has been touring around since Broadway in 2011. Expected to be in Australia in 2017.

I haven't seen it yet myself. Anyone seen it? Sounds hysterical. Controversial as hell.

I love that song. I don't know about the Book of Mormon, but that song would have made a perfect ending to the Book of Job.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In my opinion, the musical is not attacking Mormonism specifically, it's using Mormonism for a greater discussion about religious belief and the effects of organized religion.
Have you seen it, Watchmen? Having seen it, I've got to agree with you that I didn't find the jabs at Mormonism particularly offensive. I found the excessively crude language and gestures to make me a little bit uncomfortable (and I'm not all that easily bothered by that kind of stuff), but the jokes about Mormonism were pretty much right on. I think it's a good thing to be able to laugh at yourself.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Thought you'd want to know that your link isn't working.

After conquering the box office on Broadway and moving onto other parts of the world, the musical from the creators of 'South Park', 'The Book Of Mormon', will be opening in Melbourne in early 2017.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews made the announcement today [Apr 27th 2015] via his Facebook page, saying the Australian production would take place at Melbourne’s Princess Theatre.

“Victoria is the arts and culture capital, and The Book Of Mormon will attract thousands of interstate and international visitors to our state, creating more jobs,” Andrews said.

The musical is the brainchild from South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and is everything you could hope for, with nine Tony awards and a Grammy to back it.

In their past screen work, Stone and Parker have lent heavily on song, and their live musical debut toes the line between humour and classic theatre perfectly.

source

But
"Jesus has his own planet as well"​
and
"The Garden of Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri"
Really?

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
Have you seen it, Watchmen? Having seen it, I've got to agree with you that I didn't find the jabs at Mormonism particularly offensive. I found the excessively crude language and gestures to make me a little bit uncomfortable (and I'm not all that easily bothered by that kind of stuff), but the jokes about Mormonism were pretty much right on. I think it's a good thing to be able to laugh at yourself.

I've see it. Laughed my head off!

Watchmen

Premium Member

Exit question: Would anyone think to go see "The Qur'an: The Musical"
Double-dog dare ya... No doubt it would be a real blast...

And what principle would that be? Isn't art meant to comment on society (which is exactly what the musical does).