• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bonding power of love vs. the instinct for survival.

Just_me_Mike

Which do you think is more powerful when we are discussing human beings?

Can there be an argument for both sides?

What are your thoughts?

If it helps at all, when thinking about how to answer this question, think of how either side has shaped and impacted mankind. Which has had the greater effect?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
What type of love are you wanting to discuss? Or, does any form apply?

Because the love a mother has for a child is different than the love you have for your partner.

Just_me_Mike

What type of love are you wanting to discuss? Or, does any form apply?

Because the love a mother has for a child is different than the love you have for your partner.
Whatever you deem the most powerful type of love, and then compare it to the instinct for survival. Which is more powerful, and which has had a greater impact on mankind?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Whatever you deem the most powerful type of love, and then compare it to the instinct for survival. Which is more powerful, and which has had a greater impact on mankind?
Well, obviously you're going to get tons of different opinions because an instinct is quite different than an emotion biologically speaking and from my perspective, the love a mother has for a child is by far the strongest of the two.

In other words, if a lynch mob broke in and tried to do harm to one of my kids, my survival instinct would take second place over the love I have for my kids. I'd kick their butts all the way to hell and back even if it meant my own death as a result.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
Which do you think is more powerful when we are discussing human beings?

Can there be an argument for both sides?

What are your thoughts?

If it helps at all, when thinking about how to answer this question, think of how either side has shaped and impacted mankind. Which has had the greater effect?

IMHO...

Love itself is an instinct. It has developed in the parents of any of the higher order of species to ensure the rearing of offspring to sexual maturity. In humans love has evolved to include feelings for mates as well, to ensure the preservation of the nurturer/provider pairing, again to ensure the survival of offspring to maturity.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It all boils down to the individual. Some love so strong they would sacrifice themselves for something, while others are cold-hearted enough to sacrifice their own child for selfish benefit.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I believe the power of love and the instinct for survival work together.
Whether it is the act of one person trying to survive or trying to help others to survive, as in the unselfish acts on 9/11.

If I were in a store and a robber came in and was threatening to kill us, If Father Heathen was there, I would probably yell "take him first"......But of course I would be putting others first by saving myself.....:D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I believe the power of love and the instinct for survival work together.
Whether it is the act of one person trying to survive or trying to help others to survive, as in the unselfish acts on 9/11.

If I were in a store and a robber came in and was threatening to kill us, If Father Heathen was there, I would probably yell "take him first"......But of course I would be putting others first by saving myself.....:D

If Father Heathen were there, he would've killed the robber 5 times before he hit the ground. :D