1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured The biogeographic evidence for evolution

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Sep 7, 2019.

1. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,506
    Me too, given that circles don't have corners. At least, none of the circles I've ever seen.
    I bet that's just when the metaphorical part kicks in. ;)

It is interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +210
    Religion:
    christian
    It is usually associated with 'white trash' and hillbilies, and the USA far as I have experienced. Not sure why I see nothing wrong with living in trailers if we like.

Let's be honest.

That depends if it is an identifiable people or race.

Not sure those who find the Truth are being 'served' by it. But, hey, not like you'd know.

Me and God disagree.

3. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,110
    Religion:
    Atheist
    None of which are races.

Neither do I.

Yes, let's...
    The honest fact is that "race" is not determined by your whereabouts, living conditions, nationality, legal status, sexual orientation, IQ level, musical taste, level of education, profession, dialect,....

Need I go on?

uhu, my point exactly :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Astrophile

Astrophile Active Member

Ratings:
    +239
    Religion:
    Atheist
    First, can you provide more information about the prevailing wisdom being that the Earth was flat when Oxford was founded; I can't find anything about this in 'Flat Earth' by Christine Garwood, or by googling 'flat earth Oxford'. You don't say whether you mean the city of Oxford or the University, but it doesn't make much difference; Oxford was founded during the Saxon period (ca. 900 AD), and the University dates from the end of the 11th century,

Second, who warned Columbus against attempting to circumnavigate the globe, and did they actually say that the Earth was flat? I understood that Columbus under-estimated the size of the Earth and consequently the distance from western Europe to China; better informed people told him, correctly, that the distance was too great for ships of that time to complete the journey before running out of food and water, not that the Earth was flat and that Columbus's ships would fall over the edge.

5. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +210
    Religion:
    christian
    Looking at google results it does seem that white is the color of the trash there.

trailer trash - Google Search

6. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,110
    Religion:
    Atheist
    All thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs

• Like Like x 1
  7. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +691
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    I read your post, it is debatable, since later, in Galileo's time, we had the same situation, churchmen leading academia, and promoting myths. Yes, Greek knowledge proliferated, and yes, there were controversial subjects, and no, you presented modern theory that in Columbus's day X was taught and known without that scholar showing any contemporaneous statements of same--or did I miss something?

Isaiah says the Earth is a sphere, and Job says the Earth is suspended in nothing (a vacuum), both extraordinary, prescient statements IMHO. The Hebrew for sphere is the same as "toy children play with" and children then and now played with round objects, not frisbee-like "circles".

8. BilliardsBall

Ratings:
    +691
    Religion:
    See my response elsewhere on this thread on these matters, please. I'm open to further discussion.

9. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,506
    Do you have some evidence backing up YOUR claims on this?

The idea that Columbus thought the earth was flat was perpetuated by 18th century writers, not by an actual facts.
    Several books published between 1200-1500, including one called "The Sphere" were required reading in universities. So educated people did not generally believe the earth to be flat.
    Also, I ask again, do you seriously think that an experienced sailor would actually think the earth was flat?

Isaiah says the earth is a circle.
    The earth is not suspended in any way.
    Chronicles, Isaiah and Psalms say that the earth is fixed and/or immovable. Neither of which is accurate either.

Sorry, but that's not very impressive, nor is it "prescient" stuff.

• Winner Winner x 3
  10. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I think the Bible states that god made the individual animals and paraded them one by one before Adam so he could name them......

11. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +210
    Religion:
    christian
    Generally, the term trailer trash is applied to an identifiable race. There is another similar term that is sometimes used interchangeably. 'white trash'.

12. Mestemia

Mestemia Advocatus Diaboli
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,285
    Except it was not about race, it was about locality.

13. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +210
    Religion:
    christian
    I disagree. Same thing with the term white trash that is sometimes used interchangeably.

14. tas8831

tas8831 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Circle... sphere... whatever... The spinning the literalist must engage in must hurt their brains...

• Like Like x 1
  15. tas8831

Ratings:
    +2,721
    ... and choose from among them for his "helpmeet"...

#1015 tas8831, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  16. BilliardsBall

Ratings:
    +691
    Religion:
    There are experienced sailors who today claim the Earth is flat, and...?

I already wrote how the Hebrew circle is a sphere, the same Hebrew for a child's play toy, you know, a BALL.

I didn't say Psalms, I said Job, who said the Earth "hangs upon nothing", that is, the pagan said it was held by Atlas or suspended on the backs of giant elephants where Job said "a nothing", which is far more accurate, apart, of course, from gravity/space.

17. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +4,464
    Religion:
    Pi π
    BilliardsBall, which translation are you using that say Earth is a “sphere”?

Because in most translations that I have come across, say “circle”, not “sphere”.

King James Version
    New Revised Standard Version
    New American Standard Bible
    Here is a more recent English translation from Septuagint;

The New English Translation of the Septuagint
    There is a much older translation of the Septuagint that can be found, written by Sir Lancelot Brenton in 1851:

Sir Lancelot Brenton

And here is a translation from the Dead Sea Scrolls, which say the earth is a “disk”, which is basically a cylinder in shape:

The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible (translated by Martin G. Abegg, Peter Flint & Eugene Urlich, 2002, Harper)
    I think whenever the translations referred to circle, they are talking about cylinder or disk.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. gnostic

gnostic The Lost One

Ratings:
    +4,464
    Religion:
    Pi π
    Well, Job 38:13 say that if you take the Earth by its “edges” or “ends”, and shake it, people would fall off the earth:

There are no “ends” or “edges” to a sphere or the Earth, which is another reference to a flat earth in the shape of disk or cylinder; disk or cylinder do have edge or end.

• Like Like x 2
  19. leroy

leroy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Religion:
    christian
    No Creationists do not pretend that it doesn't exist, they would say that" Island animals" are immigrants that came from the continental land.

20. tas8831

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Your logic and evidence plays no part in the JW/evangelical's worldview.