• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Binding of Satan

Timothy Spurlin

I would appreciate if you could show the whole context of the Binding of Satan because later on he will be freed for a short time - after a thousand years.

Revelation 20:1-7 New International Version (NIV)
And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that, he must be set free for a short time.

I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison

-------------------------------
See? The story has a sequel.
Satan will be out of prison after the thousand year sentence is over.

So by that logic, satan has been free for over a thousand years.

Earthling

David Henson
Ah, so you have no objective evidence that jesus exist outside of the Bible?

I didn't say that. It's a moot question. I do have objective evidence that Jesus existed outside of the Bible but if you are suggesting that such secular histories are more reliable than the Bible you don't know much about the Bible and you don't know much about secular history. If I can give you a handful of references from secular histories and several of them are spurious, then how reliable are those secular histories in the first place, how likely would some lone religious figure have garnered the interest of secular historians in the first place?

The Bible is the claim not the evidence.

Nonsense.

12jtartar

Premium Member
Revelation 20:1-3 describes the defeat of Satan by Jesus.

And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations any more until the thousand years were ended.

A chain is a symbol of restraining power. It stands for the real, sovereign and restraining power of Jesus. Up until the time of the cross, Satan was able to dominate the nations of the earth, but he was defeated by the death of Jesus.

He has no authority in heaven, and can only work by deception. He still works, but he is limited in the area of his activity. He is controlled by God, and cannot dominate the nations as he did previously. In the Old Testament, all the nations except Israel loved in darkness. Satan will never be able to exercise that kind of power again.

This is not a description of some future event. The Bible teaches very clearly that we do not have to wait for Satan to be bound in the future. He was defeated by Jesus' victory on the cross. Jesus disarmed Satan and all his powers, by making a public spectacle of them, when he triumphed on the cross (Col 2:15). He has already done everything that needs to be done to secure Satan's downfall.

The impotence of Satan is clearly demonstrated in Job 1,2. Before Satan could touch anything belonging to Job, he had to get permission from the Lord. He has no power over a righteous man, but the unrighteous are in his power.

Because Job was one of the few righteous men in the Old Testament world, Satan could exercise considerable power. In this age, all Christians have been made righteous by the blood of Jesus. Satan cannot touch them unless he gets permission from the Lord.

He is an instrument that God used to fulfil his purposes. Satan only has power over those who reject the salvation of Jesus. Once the majority of people are converted, Satan's power will be gone. He has been bound by Jesus.

The reason Satan still seems to be so active is that the church has failed to realise the full extent of what Christ has achieved. In binding Satan, Jesus works through the church. He has placed the chain that binds Satan in the hands of his people.

They must restrain Satan's power over the nations. Jesus won a judicial victory on the cross. When a decision is made in a court of law, it does not become a fact until the police enforce it. The church has the police power to enforce Jesus judicial victory. Satan will not be fully bound until the church forces him to recognise the sentence that was passed against him at the cross.

snip

Satan is bound through the proclamation of the gospel. When the seventy disciples returned from their successful preaching mission, Jesus said,

I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions, and to overcome all the power of the enemy (Luke 10:18,19).

continued

The Binding of Satan

sooda,
Just about everything you have written does not fit in with what the Bible says. Don’t be angry, very few people understand what the Bible is speaking about, and when these things take place.
I don’t have time to go over everything you said to show how these things fit, so l will just show you how the things you mentioned, all fit together.
First, Revelation 20:1-3, is still in the future. This will be when Jesus comes back to earth. Notice in the first verse of Revelation 20, this Angel is Jesus and He then binds up Satan and throws him into the Abyss for 1,000 years. During that 1,000 years people will be resurrected back to earth, and millions will have lived through the Great Tribulation, the destruction of Babylon the Great, mentioned in 17th chapter of Revelation.
The reason Satan and demons are thrown into the Abyss is because, Jesus, with the Help of the ones spoken of at Revelation 20:4-7, the Kings and Priests taken from earth, along with the resurrected ones will bring this earth back to a Paradise earth, just as it was in Adam and Eve’s time, before the rebellion. Satan and his demons will be locked in the Abyss during this time, so that they cannot cause ant trouble, until the thousand year Judgement Day is over. Then the people alive will receive a New Book, to show us how to live live in the Paradise, what to eat, to regain perfect bodies. Then After all have been resurrected and all have attained perfection, in body, mind, emotions, mentally, Satan and his demons will be released for a short time to test all the people who will then be perfect again. After that final test all the people alive will be granted Everlasting Life in a Perfect Earth, just as God originally Purposed, Revelation 20:7-10.
All these things are prophesied in the Holy Scriptures.
Satan did not lose power in the first century!! This can be seen by the terrible conditions in our own day.
Turn to Revelation 12:7-11, Here the Bible speake about a war in heaven, where Satan and Michael the ArchAngel had a war, Satan and his demons lost, and were thrown down to earth. Then notice what is said in verse 12, Woe to the earth and the sea because Satan was mad because he was thrown to the earth. Everything on earth would get much worse because Satan was thrown down to earth, knowing that he only had a short time left before his destruction, to cause much trouble.
In the first part of Chapter 7 we are told of the birth of a son, which was symbolicly talking about The Kingdom that was prophesied about at Daniel chapter 4. Here a great tree was pictured as The Kingdom, and it would be put low for seven times, which was a period of 2,520 years. In prophesy years were 360 days. Seven times were 7 weeks of years= 7X360 = 2,520 years. Jerusalem was destroyed in 607BC so add 2520 years to 607 and you come to 1914, when The Kingdom of God would again start ruling. Jesus started ruling in 1914, but He is to rule in the middle of his enemies for a while, then he will come back to earth, for Judgement, Psalms 110:1-7, Acts 17:31.
There are other Scriptures that proof the what I have written is the only way all the Scriptures fit together harmoniously, but this is getting too long. Please read and meditate on these, and if you write me back, I will be glad to explain why I put down everything.
Agape!!!

MJFlores

No. Satan is around and very much in business.1 Peter 5:8

First there will be an abyss where Satan will be imprison but that will happen when the fifth trumpet sounds. Revelation 9:11

After Satan is imprisoned, his sentence will start - 1,000 years. The sixth trumpet will sound, something will happen and then the last trumpet will sound - the Son of Man together with his angels will gather those who will be saved - those who have died in Christ and those who are alive in Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:52

Those are the general plans.

The first trumpet Revelation 8:7 has yet to be sounded.
If we are lucky, we might be witnesses to these events.

12jtartar

Premium Member
I didn't say that. It's a moot question. I do have objective evidence that Jesus existed outside of the Bible but if you are suggesting that such secular histories are more reliable than the Bible you don't know much about the Bible and you don't know much about secular history. If I can give you a handful of references from secular histories and several of them are spurious, then how reliable are those secular histories in the first place, how likely would some lone religious figure have garnered the interest of secular historians in the first place?

Earthling,
Did you know that historians say that there is more evidence that Jesus lived on earth, that there is that Abraham Lincoln lived. We all have to depend a certain amount on things we are told, because we are not able to know for ourselves what happened before we lived, and even then, very little that we are eyewitnesses to. Why is it you have to have such proof, that no one really has, except for our forefathers???

Nonsense.

12jtartar

Premium Member
Well, its NOT my theory.. Many Christians do not take the futuristic interpretation of Revelation like identifying Gog and Magog as Russia or the Pope as the antichrist. Preterists, partial preterists and historists think most of it is past tense.

sooda,
Before long we will understand that Gog and Magog, stand for The Untied Nations, and the Ten Kings, that are mentioned at Revelation 17:12-18. By reading the 17th chapter, and meditating on these and what Ezekiel 38,39 says about our time, it seems that God and Magog. Must be The United Nations and and the Ten Kings That give it power.

Earthling

David Henson
Earthling,
Did you know that historians say that there is more evidence that Jesus lived on earth, that there is that Abraham Lincoln lived. We all have to depend a certain amount on things we are told, because we are not able to know for ourselves what happened before we lived, and even then, very little that we are eyewitnesses to. Why is it you have to have such proof, that no one really has, except for our forefathers???

Who me? I don't overestimate the value of things like "proof," or "evidence." Those things are subjective. Ultimately faith, well deserved, is all I need. If I hear of someone claiming to have proof or evidence of God's existence or the historicity of Jesus I don't pay much, if any, attention to it.

12jtartar

Premium Member

Timothy Spurlin,
Satan has been on the loose for around 6,000 years. His time is getting very close. Revelation 12 tells the story of the Messianic Kingdom being born, Jesus is that king, and a war in heaven that resulted in Satan and his demons being thrown down to earth, which occurred at 1914. After 1914 the world has gotten much worse, even faster that before. Historians point to the year 1914 as, by far, the greatest changes this world has ever undergone, in all facets of life, because Satan and his demons were thrown down to earth in that year, and he is very mad because he knows that his days are very short.

Timothy Spurlin

Nonsense.

I doubt you have objective evidence for Jesus.

If you have objective evidence present it.

sooda

Veteran Member
sooda,
Before long we will understand that Gog and Magog, stand for The Untied Nations, and the Ten Kings, that are mentioned at Revelation 17:12-18. By reading the 17th chapter, and meditating on these and what Ezekiel 38,39 says about our time, it seems that God and Magog. Must be The United Nations and and the Ten Kings That give it power.

See what I mean.. Between the Scofield heresy and Hal Lindsey you have been rooked. Gog and Magog were from Lydia (Anatolia) and they attacked Syria and Coastal Palestine long before the birth of Jesus. They were expert horsemen and bowsmen.. and they came quickly and silently like a plague of locusts.

Timothy Spurlin

Timothy Spurlin,
Satan has been on the loose for around 6,000 years. His time is getting very close. Revelation 12 tells the story of the Messianic Kingdom being born, Jesus is that king, and a war in heaven that resulted in Satan and his demons being thrown down to earth, which occurred at 1914. After 1914 the world has gotten much worse, even faster that before. Historians point to the year 1914 as, by far, the greatest changes this world has ever undergone, in all facets of life, because Satan and his demons were thrown down to earth in that year, and he is very mad because he knows that his days are very short.

What objective evidence do you have that satan or Jesus are real, and not subjective coming from your mind?

Timothy Spurlin

Who me? I don't overestimate the value of things like "proof," or "evidence." Those things are subjective. Ultimately faith, well deserved, is all I need. If I hear of someone claiming to have proof or evidence of God's existence or the historicity of Jesus I don't pay much, if any, attention to it.

So you admit all you have is subjective evidence from your mind?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
how likely would some lone religious figure have garnered the interest of secular historians in the first place?

If that "lone religious figure" actually performed the miracles that are claimed in the bible, I'ld say it would have been the talk of the century.

But if that "lone religious figure" was just a quack like there were hundreds, thousands, around at that time (and after it, even today), then it would be just a footnote only mentioned because he succeeded in gathering some more following then his quack peers.

The evidence seems to be pointing to the latter, rather then the first.

Nonsense.

No. Exactly correct.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
sooda,

It seems that just about every generation since early christianity believed that they lived during the time that it was all going to go down.

After 1900 years of being incorrect about it, isn't it about time to move on?

Earthling

David Henson
Do you also have something constructive to say?
Not really getting your reply here....

Okey dokey. No problem. Your original post. . . .

So your god who is supposedly all loving and benevolent, thought it was a good idea to take the very embodiment of evil and set it loose among his children he supposedly loves so dearly?

Sounds pretty irresponsible and not loving or benevolent at all...

This is an emotional statement. It's terms are also subjective. First of all, what makes you think my god is "all loving and benevolent" and what do those terms even mean? Willing to allow those who would destroy mankind, and if possible, God's purpose for mankind, to just go ahead and do that?

Secondly, what is the "very embodiment of evil" and what does that mean? Were we talking about Job? The war in heaven resulting in Satan being hurled down to earth? or the release of Satan from the abyss before his destruction and the destruction of his followers? All of these are Biblical teachings.

So, then the question is, why? What does it mean to his so called "children" which he loves so dearly. What, more importantly, would happen to them if he didn't allow Satan to be set loose?

would you hazard a guess?

Timothy Spurlin

sooda,
Just about everything you have written does not fit in with what the Bible says. Don’t be angry, very few people understand what the Bible is speaking about, and when these things take place.
I don’t have time to go over everything you said to show how these things fit, so l will just show you how the things you mentioned, all fit together.
First, Revelation 20:1-3, is still in the future. This will be when Jesus comes back to earth. Notice in the first verse of Revelation 20, this Angel is Jesus and He then binds up Satan and throws him into the Abyss for 1,000 years. During that 1,000 years people will be resurrected back to earth, and millions will have lived through the Great Tribulation, the destruction of Babylon the Great, mentioned in 17th chapter of Revelation.
The reason Satan and demons are thrown into the Abyss is because, Jesus, with the Help of the ones spoken of at Revelation 20:4-7, the Kings and Priests taken from earth, along with the resurrected ones will bring this earth back to a Paradise earth, just as it was in Adam and Eve’s time, before the rebellion. Satan and his demons will be locked in the Abyss during this time, so that they cannot cause ant trouble, until the thousand year Judgement Day is over. Then the people alive will receive a New Book, to show us how to live live in the Paradise, what to eat, to regain perfect bodies. Then After all have been resurrected and all have attained perfection, in body, mind, emotions, mentally, Satan and his demons will be released for a short time to test all the people who will then be perfect again. After that final test all the people alive will be granted Everlasting Life in a Perfect Earth, just as God originally Purposed, Revelation 20:7-10.
All these things are prophesied in the Holy Scriptures.
Satan did not lose power in the first century!! This can be seen by the terrible conditions in our own day.
Turn to Revelation 12:7-11, Here the Bible speake about a war in heaven, where Satan and Michael the ArchAngel had a war, Satan and his demons lost, and were thrown down to earth. Then notice what is said in verse 12, Woe to the earth and the sea because Satan was mad because he was thrown to the earth. Everything on earth would get much worse because Satan was thrown down to earth, knowing that he only had a short time left before his destruction, to cause much trouble.
In the first part of Chapter 7 we are told of the birth of a son, which was symbolicly talking about The Kingdom that was prophesied about at Daniel chapter 4. Here a great tree was pictured as The Kingdom, and it would be put low for seven times, which was a period of 2,520 years. In prophesy years were 360 days. Seven times were 7 weeks of years= 7X360 = 2,520 years. Jerusalem was destroyed in 607BC so add 2520 years to 607 and you come to 1914, when The Kingdom of God would again start ruling. Jesus started ruling in 1914, but He is to rule in the middle of his enemies for a while, then he will come back to earth, for Judgement, Psalms 110:1-7, Acts 17:31.
There are other Scriptures that proof the what I have written is the only way all the Scriptures fit together harmoniously, but this is getting too long. Please read and meditate on these, and if you write me back, I will be glad to explain why I put down everything.
Agape!!!

So when is Jesus coming back?
I wished he would hurry up.