• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Binding of Satan

sooda

Veteran Member
Revelation 20:1-3 describes the defeat of Satan by Jesus.

And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations any more until the thousand years were ended.

A chain is a symbol of restraining power. It stands for the real, sovereign and restraining power of Jesus. Up until the time of the cross, Satan was able to dominate the nations of the earth, but he was defeated by the death of Jesus.

He has no authority in heaven, and can only work by deception. He still works, but he is limited in the area of his activity. He is controlled by God, and cannot dominate the nations as he did previously. In the Old Testament, all the nations except Israel loved in darkness. Satan will never be able to exercise that kind of power again.

This is not a description of some future event. The Bible teaches very clearly that we do not have to wait for Satan to be bound in the future. He was defeated by Jesus' victory on the cross. Jesus disarmed Satan and all his powers, by making a public spectacle of them, when he triumphed on the cross (Col 2:15). He has already done everything that needs to be done to secure Satan's downfall.

The impotence of Satan is clearly demonstrated in Job 1,2. Before Satan could touch anything belonging to Job, he had to get permission from the Lord. He has no power over a righteous man, but the unrighteous are in his power.

Because Job was one of the few righteous men in the Old Testament world, Satan could exercise considerable power. In this age, all Christians have been made righteous by the blood of Jesus. Satan cannot touch them unless he gets permission from the Lord.

He is an instrument that God used to fulfil his purposes. Satan only has power over those who reject the salvation of Jesus. Once the majority of people are converted, Satan's power will be gone. He has been bound by Jesus.

The reason Satan still seems to be so active is that the church has failed to realise the full extent of what Christ has achieved. In binding Satan, Jesus works through the church. He has placed the chain that binds Satan in the hands of his people.

They must restrain Satan's power over the nations. Jesus won a judicial victory on the cross. When a decision is made in a court of law, it does not become a fact until the police enforce it. The church has the police power to enforce Jesus judicial victory. Satan will not be fully bound until the church forces him to recognise the sentence that was passed against him at the cross.

snip

Satan is bound through the proclamation of the gospel. When the seventy disciples returned from their successful preaching mission, Jesus said,

I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions, and to overcome all the power of the enemy (Luke 10:18,19).

continued

The Binding of Satan

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Then why is Satan Alive and Well to this day? Meanwhile your messiah is dead and hasn't been heard of since!

Earthling

David Henson
Then why is Satan Alive and Well to this day? Meanwhile your messiah is dead and hasn't been heard of since!

Jesus died in the physical form. He was spiritual before and after that.

The war in heaven took place after Jesus' death, in which Satan was cast down to earth, by Jesus in spirit form, and later Satan will be destroyed. So your point is inaccurate, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear . . . even if it's all just mythology.

sooda

Veteran Member
Jesus died in the physical form. He was spiritual before and after that.

The war in heaven took place after Jesus' death, in which Satan was cast down to earth, by Jesus in spirit form, and later Satan will be destroyed. So your point is inaccurate, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear . . . even if it's all just mythology.

Luke wasn't around when Revelation was written to the 7 churches.

Jesus said,

I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions, and to overcome all the power of the enemy (Luke 10:18,19).

Earthling

David Henson
Luke wasn't around when Revelation was written to the 7 churches.

Jesus said,

Yes, but Jesus wasn't saying that he had seen this event actually happen. He was aware of the fact that it would happen, but as Revelation points out, certain things had to happen before it was literally accomplished. For example, Jesus had to succeed in his purpose on earth and return to heaven before it actually happened.

Good point though.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes, but Jesus wasn't saying that he had seen this event actually happen. He was aware of the fact that it would happen, but as Revelation points out, certain things had to happen before it was literally accomplished. For example, Jesus had to succeed in his purpose on earth and return to heaven before it actually happened.

Good point though.

\Past tense...….

Ellen Brown

I am very open to believing that satan is not bound, and the protection I get from him comes directly from a loving God. Much of the time, my suffering comes from my own actions. And who are we to say that our suffering is not teaching?

sooda

Veteran Member
I am very open to believing that satan is not bound, and the protection I get from him comes directly from a loving God. Much of the time, my suffering comes from my own actions. And who are we to say that our suffering is not teaching?

So then.. Jesus got it wrong.

David T

Premium Member

And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations any more until the thousand years were ended.

A chain is a symbol of restraining power. It stands for the real, sovereign and restraining power of Jesus. Up until the time of the cross, Satan was able to dominate the nations of the earth, but he was defeated by the death of Jesus.

He has no authority in heaven, and can only work by deception. He still works, but he is limited in the area of his activity. He is controlled by God, and cannot dominate the nations as he did previously. In the Old Testament, all the nations except Israel loved in darkness. Satan will never be able to exercise that kind of power again.

This is not a description of some future event. The Bible teaches very clearly that we do not have to wait for Satan to be bound in the future. He was defeated by Jesus' victory on the cross. Jesus disarmed Satan and all his powers, by making a public spectacle of them, when he triumphed on the cross (Col 2:15). He has already done everything that needs to be done to secure Satan's downfall.

The impotence of Satan is clearly demonstrated in Job 1,2. Before Satan could touch anything belonging to Job, he had to get permission from the Lord. He has no power over a righteous man, but the unrighteous are in his power.

Because Job was one of the few righteous men in the Old Testament world, Satan could exercise considerable power. In this age, all Christians have been made righteous by the blood of Jesus. Satan cannot touch them unless he gets permission from the Lord.

He is an instrument that God used to fulfil his purposes. Satan only has power over those who reject the salvation of Jesus. Once the majority of people are converted, Satan's power will be gone. He has been bound by Jesus.

The reason Satan still seems to be so active is that the church has failed to realise the full extent of what Christ has achieved. In binding Satan, Jesus works through the church. He has placed the chain that binds Satan in the hands of his people.

They must restrain Satan's power over the nations. Jesus won a judicial victory on the cross. When a decision is made in a court of law, it does not become a fact until the police enforce it. The church has the police power to enforce Jesus judicial victory. Satan will not be fully bound until the church forces him to recognise the sentence that was passed against him at the cross.

snip

Satan is bound through the proclamation of the gospel. When the seventy disciples returned from their successful preaching mission, Jesus said,

continued

The Binding of Satan
the bible isn't a science fiction movie. no matter what.

danieldemol

Premium Member

snip

continued

The Binding of Satan
There are various problems with your theory, and I won’t go into all of them since it is just interpretation of mythology anyway.

1. Jesus only binds Satan for 1000 years, that means if you time it from the cross (approximately 30AD) then Satan was unbound in 1030(approximately) and requires binding again.

2. When we look at reality we can see 2 Christian superpowers USA and Russia preparing for nuclear war with each other. Although I don’t believe in a literal Satan, I do believe in deception and when Christians are preparing to nuke each other, the masses are clearly being deceived.

That will do for now
Kind regards :)

sooda

Veteran Member
There are various problems with your theory, and I won’t go into all of them since it is just interpretation of mythology anyway.

1. Jesus only binds Satan for 1000 years, that means if you time it from the cross (approximately 30AD) then Satan was unbound in 1030(approximately) and requires binding again.

2. When we look at reality we can see 2 Christian superpowers USA and Russia preparing for nuclear war with each other. Although I don’t believe in a literal Satan, I do believe in deception and when Christians are preparing to nuke each other, the masses are clearly being deceived.

That will do for now
Kind regards :)

Numbers in scripture are rarely literal.

sooda

Veteran Member
Please also address point #2

Well, its NOT my theory.. Many Christians do not take the futuristic interpretation of Revelation like identifying Gog and Magog as Russia or the Pope as the antichrist. Preterists, partial preterists and historists think most of it is past tense.