• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Deal of Death

Orbit

I'm a planet
A co-worker died suddenly last Sunday. I still expect to see him walking down the hall. I can't believe he's gone. How have you handled death? What's the best way to recover?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
A co-worker died suddenly last Sunday. I still expect to see him walking down the hall. I can't believe he's gone. How have you handled death? What's the best way to recover?

Ouch. Had this happen with a co-worker who was only a few years older than me, and it was a challenge.

Mileage varies, but for me talking with other people who knew her, sharing some funny stories, etc, helped. It made me remember her fondly, but equally locked into my brain that we were talking 'past tense'.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

The best way to recover is unique to the individual. Some go through the 5 stages of grief in order. Some in a different order, and others, like me, skip stages. I think it’s useful to realize the individual stage one is in and deal with those specific emotions.

Personally, I dealt with it by occupying my mind with other things. I buried myself in my work for the most part.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am sorry to hear that. I never lost any friends, only family members - my father, sister, and mother, in that order. I was not very close to anyone in my family although I grieved when my mother died in 2007. What has caused me the most grief is the death of my cats and I have lost so many of them, too many to count.

I handle death better than I have handled it in the past but it is still difficult. I am certain of an afterlife for all humans but I don't know about animals so that makes their death more difficult. I think their spirit probably survives death but I do not expect to see them in the afterlife although I would be very happy if I did.

I think everyone has to handle grief in their own way. I try to stay busy and focus on something else, something I consider fruitful, some kind of work.

We Never Know

No Slack
The best way to recover is unique to the individual. Some go through the 5 stages of grief in order. Some in a different order, and others, like me, skip stages. I think it’s useful to realize the individual stage one is in and deal with those specific emotions.

Personally, I dealt with it by occupying my mind with other things. I buried myself in my work for the most part.

In my opinion no one is really gone until they are forgotten.

Edit....
For example...George Washington died 221 years ago. But his essence is still here. He is on the quarter, the dollar and we speak of him in history. He is not forgotten so he in a sense lives on.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Very sorry to hear this. Allow yourself to grieve the loss. Crying heals, but it takes time. Was this anyone whom I'd had the pleasure of meeting?

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
It is very,very rare to find words that can help understand or soothe the loss of someone ,no matter who, 'moves on' suddenly. Time is the only remedy that ever helped me. Death will remain a mystery for me. Be well...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's eerie to suddenly realize that person no longer is around for sure.

I see it as missing in form, still around as substance.

Just a continuation of hellos and good byes in my eyes, like meeting at a train station, and one boards the train and rides off without until your own turn eventually comes , moving on as it always did until the next train station with a new life arrives.

To me, it's actually a beautiful way to express interconnectedness. Gone in form, yet not really destroyed.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Remember them fondly, and keep their memory alive. Talk with friends that knew them, or their family if you were close in that manner.

Death has never quite been bothersome to me.

Although, it seems to be making more of an impact the older I get.