• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 'Big Bang'

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
For some reason, I cannot leave this topic alone.
Could a non-theist please explain to me, using science, how the universe came into being ?:help:

Tawn

Go read Hawkins..
Sorry Michael, I cannot explain. Im not sure the universe wasnt around infinitely.. Im content to say - I just dont know.

Ori

Angel slayer
About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang. At the point of this event all of the matter and energy of space was contained at one point. What exisisted prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation. This occurance was not a conventional explosion but rather an event filling all of space with all of the particles of the embryonic universe rushing away from each other. The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
michel said:
For some reason, I cannot leave this topic alone.
Could a non-theist please explain to me, using science, how the universe came into being ?:help:
The answer is that we don't exactly know. We have been able to establish that at one point all of the matter and energy in our current universe was concentrated into a very small singularity. Then it popped. Billions of years later, the results are still expanding and interacting with each other. We can still find echoes of this pop (the "Big Bang") in background radiation.

Whether this is a once only kind of thing, or a cyclical thing, and the mechanics of it are things about which we have many theories, but not much provable. Will the universe continue to expand, or begin to contract sometime in future? Will there be a big crunch, or does everything finally succumb to heat death and entropy? The jury is still out.

The other part is that humanity as a species is highly unlikely to need to worry about these things, given our current lifespans; both as individuals and as species. Cockroaches might have a problem.........

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Tawn "I cannot explain. Im not sure the universe wasnt around infinitely.. Im content to say - I just dont know"Orichalcum "What exisisted prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation."

I am surprised. When a theist talks about God, he is asked to prove the existence of his G-d to the non-theist; are the above two comments the best you can do ?:)

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I will second Tawn, and tell you to read Stephen Hawkings' A Brief History of Time (updated version). He tells what we know for sure, and what our best guesses are about therest and why.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I can do my best, i've read a fair bit on the subject.

The current theory is that way back when, this universe didn't exist (obviously). Imagine if you will an infinite region beyond our reality called hyperspace, this hyperspace is filled with things called membranes (i cannot get my head around membranes, commonly called branes, so don't bother to ask me), imagine them as trillions of strange rippling bubbles of all different shapes. 15 billion years ago two of these branes collided and BANG our space/time was born, matter and antimatter were produced from the energy of the explosion and immediately began a war, eventually (after about 0.5 of a millisecond i think) matter annihilated anti-matter and expanded out into the void. This matter was pulled together by gravity (which incidently is believed to leak into our universe from another brane :confused: ) eventually forming stars, galaxies and the rest.

Evidence for the big bang includes the universal background radiation and red shift.
Evidence for membranes includes mathematical formulae creatred by people far smarter than i can even imagine.

Fluffy

A fool
In my mind, Michel, the big bang is looking to be the way to go if we wish to find out how OUR universe was created.

But I don't think you mean that. What you want to know is how can something come from nothing? Surely at one point (even if you go Universe-->Big Bang-->M theory) there must have been nothing. Unfortunately, the the likelihood of finding that out is fairly small because the best that science has been able to offer is 1) and unprovable theory and 2) no explanation of what existed before these branes did or what created them.

But please be aware that for such a thing as a "beginning" to exist, time must also exist as a dimension. Well if you start going back before the big bang, there is no guarantee that time existed in all of the parallel universes or whatever you want to call the space where the membranes exist. Without time, there can be no beginning.

Tawn

michel said:
Tawn "I cannot explain. Im not sure the universe wasnt around infinitely.. Im content to say - I just dont know"Orichalcum "What exisisted prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation."

I am surprised. When a theist talks about God, he is asked to prove the existence of his G-d to the non-theist; are the above two comments the best you can do ?:)
But there is an important difference between the theist and non-theist.. and you know it michael.. stop provoking the inevitable ;)

The Theist says - there is a God. The unbeliever naturally asks for evidence.
The non-theist says, essentially we dont know whether the universe has always existed or came into existance and we dont know for sure how it did if it did.. this is what we DO know.. we will leave a big question mark until we have more evidence.

Essentially, the non-theist isnt making a claim.

Pah

Uber all member
truthseekingsoul said:
Where's Spinks? He seems to know a bundle about this kind of stuff.
:D Gee thanks - what am I? ... "chopped liver"? :D

Okay! - more laughs :D I got frubals for this post with the one word comment "TRUTH" :biglaugh:

I think in the Deli, chopped liver is more expensive than baloney

Yerda

Veteran Member
pah said:
:D Gee thanks - what am I? ... "chopped liver"? :D
Crikey! I forgot about you there Pah, which is hard to do on a forum laden with your (great) posts. :p

Pah

Uber all member
truthseekingsoul said:
Crikey! I forgot about you there Pah, which is hard to do on a forum laden with your (great) posts. :p
Hey! no problem. I had fun with the post and nothing personal toward anyone was intended. (see my edit :biglaugh: )

Loki

I'm not sure what to go with. Obviously, for a big bang to have created the universe, there must have been something to cause the big bang at the start. I'm not stephen hawking, so not only do I not have a cool chair, I'm not able to explain that. But as i see it, all the alternative theories do seem to have the same problem - if X caused the universe to exist, then what caused X to exist?

I think the most logical solution is to believe that the universe was sneezed out of a giant space goat, and that we should all await the coming of the great white handkerchief.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
In my mind, Michel, the big bang is looking to be the way to go if we wish to find out how OUR universe was created.

But I don't think you mean that. What you want to know is how can something come from nothing? Surely at one point (even if you go Universe-->Big Bang-->M theory) there must have been nothing. Unfortunately, the the likelihood of finding that out is fairly small because the best that science has been able to offer is 1) and unprovable theory and 2) no explanation of what existed before these branes did or what created them.

But please be aware that for such a thing as a "beginning" to exist, time must also exist as a dimension. Well if you start going back before the big bang, there is no guarantee that time existed in all of the parallel universes or whatever you want to call the space where the membranes exist. Without time, there can be no beginning.
[PART QUOTE=Tawn]The Theist says - there is a God. The unbeliever naturally asks for evidence.
The non-theist says, essentially we dont know whether the universe has always existed or came into existance and we dont know for sure how it did if it did.. this is what we DO know.. we will leave a big question mark until we have more evidence.

Essentially, the non-theist isnt making a claim
1) and unprovable theory and 2) no explanation of what existed before these branes did or what created them.

Essentially, the non-theist isnt making a claim.

Basically, you two guys are saying "We science-driven non-theists have no explanation for the beginning; Theists have but it isn't provable"

The non-theist isnt making a claim ? Yes you are, you claim that there is no validity in the theists claim.:rolleyes:

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Loki said:
I think the most logical solution is to believe that the universe was sneezed out of a giant space goat, and that we should all await the coming of the great white handkerchief.
What created the giant space goat and what caused him to sneeze?

I sure hope it's puffs with Aloe....

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Loki said:
I'm not sure what to go with. Obviously, for a big bang to have created the universe, there must have been something to cause the big bang at the start. I'm not stephen hawking, so not only do I not have a cool chair, I'm not able to explain that. But as i see it, all the alternative theories do seem to have the same problem - if X caused the universe to exist, then what caused X to exist?

Don't be absurd; the Space goart would use paper handkerchiefs - easier to recycle!:biglaugh:

Tawn

michel said:
The non-theist isnt making a claim ? Yes you are, you claim that there is no validity in the theists claim.:rolleyes:
Lets just say the validity of the Theists claim, in the eyes of the non-theist, has not been shown to be anything more than a 'guess'..
Its not that there is NO validity - its just that validity has not yet been shown. This is an important point.
The non-theist is not making a claim. (Though some inveriably do ;) )

Well actually the only claim the non-theist might be making is - because the Theists answer has no apparent validity we should provisionally assume it is not true.