• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible's Ungodly Origins

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think

by Robert L. Johnson

(Sic)"...The Church leaders didn't finish editing the "holy" scriptures until the Council of Trent when the Catholic Church pronounced the Canon closed. However, it seems the real approving editor of the Bible was not God but Constantine! This fact is revealed in the second counter-rebuttal to Brian Show's first rebuttal to this article. This counter-rebuttal makes the following important statement and backs it up with FACTS - "Therefore, one can easily argue that the first Christian Bible was commissioned, paid for, inspected and approved by a pagan emperor for church use." " (More)

This article is reposted to comport with forum rules. I look forward to reasoned sincere discussion. Thanks. :)

Ellen Brown

by Robert L. Johnson

(Sic)"...The Church leaders didn't finish editing the "holy" scriptures until the Council of Trent when the Catholic Church pronounced the Canon closed. However, it seems the real approving editor of the Bible was not God but Constantine! This fact is revealed in the second counter-rebuttal to Brian Show's first rebuttal to this article. This counter-rebuttal makes the following important statement and backs it up with FACTS - "Therefore, one can easily argue that the first Christian Bible was commissioned, paid for, inspected and approved by a pagan emperor for church use." " (More)

This article is reposted to comport with forum rules. I look forward to reasoned sincere discussion. Thanks. :)

Lately, I am of the opinion that the Bible is mostly a dubious history, and not a book about how we should live. As I've said before, most of what God wants from us could easily be put on one typewritten page.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
How would you explain Isaac Newton's view of the Bible? He disagreed with the religion of his day, but through his in-depth study of Scripture, came to believe the Bible was from God.

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
How would you explain Isaac Newton's view of the Bible? He disagreed with the religion of his day, but through his in-depth study of Scripture, came to believe the Bible was from God.
I respect his personal research and observation.

This article is afforded for discussion. Not for the purpose of slighting belief.

nPeace

Veteran Member

by Robert L. Johnson

The Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) are not significantly different from the Bible, and the books selected to be part of the canon, are significantly harmonious.
So if the Bible has ungodly origins, what about the DSS. What are their origins?

by Robert L. Johnson

Is the new testament ungodly, or just the old testament?

Ellen Brown

What does God want from us?

You're entitled to your opinions. Having been oft burnt and scorned by the devout, here is mine.

What God wants:

Obey the 10 Commandments.

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Mark 12:30-31
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

That's about it.

Ellen Brown

You're entitled to your opinions. Having been oft burnt and scorned by the devout, here is mine.

What God wants:

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

That's about it.

Enough of the nonsense. I'm a Spiritual Minimalist.

What God wants:

That's about it.

I wont scorn you, even if i disagree. However, what you said here, i dont have a problem with it. I agree actually.

I think where we may differ is my view is that the bible is historical and if i understand you correctly, you think its not historical? Or its a mix of history and myth?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

by Robert L. Johnson

I consider all of the arguments to be straw arguments since they treat only that strawman which deism has set up for itself to cut down. In fact most groups don't seem to worry about the problems cited in the arguments. According to the site deism supports a God it calls "Nature's God" as opposed to a revealed God, specifically one revealed exclusively through the Bible. The arguments are talking about nothing that the major religions must necessarily recognize and so not surprisingly are punching air most of the time. The only exception are those which purport to be founded upon the Bible as a singular book composed by God rather than religions which draw upon it as a library of inspired books. This misses all of the orthodox and the catholic institutions, skips over half of the reformation, barely grazes islam and never even touches judaism as it leaves the nature of God open to discussion.

Additionally 'The Bible' never claims to reveal God. That claim is made by certain groups about the Bible.

Yes it does appear Constantine settles the dispute about what books to canonize, but that is known history recorded by the church institutions themselves in histories they have preserved themselves. This was not dug up by deists out of tombs but came from the libraries of churches.

Ellen Brown

I wont scorn you, even if i disagree. However, what you said here, i dont have a problem with it. I agree actually.

I think where we may differ is my view is that the bible is historical and if i understand you correctly, you think its not historical? Or its a mix of history and myth?

I DO think it is historical, but most of it does not teach us how to live.

GoodbyeDave

The author of that blog is hardly an authority: I can't find any information about him. He seems unaware of the fact that Western and Eastern Christians have different canons and different texts!