• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

sealchan

Part 1 - Historically Accurate

ARGUMENT FROM SILENCE
Skeptics have attacked the Biblical record using the argument from silence. The fact that for many Biblical characters, there is no mention of them outside of the Biblical record in the findings of archeology or ancient inscriptions or manuscripts, calls their historicity into question.

The argument goes that if such people really lived, one would expect to find some trace of them outside of sacred writings.

Archaeology Confirms 50 Real People in the Bible

Add one more to the list.
Tattenai, also called Sisinnes, (flourished c. 6th–5th century BCE), Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River (eber nāri, “beyond the river”) during the reign of Darius I (522–486 BCE).
According to the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) Book of Ezra, Tattenai led an investigation into the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem about 519 BCE. He sent a report to Darius, who responded with instructions to allow the work to proceed. Tattenai is one of the few Persian officials mentioned in the Hebrew Bible for whom there is independent attestation; he is mentioned in a cuneiform tablet dated 502 BCE.

Tattenai
Tattenai (or Tatnai or Sisinnes) was a Biblical character and a Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River during the time of Zerubbabel and the reign of Darius I.

He is best known for questioning King Darius in regard to the rebuilding of a temple for the Lord, God of Israel. He was generally friendly to the Jews.The rebuilding was being led by Jeshua, son of Jozadak, and Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and had been issued by King Cyrus I. Tattenai wrote a letter to King Darius to ask of these statements were true, and then King Darius wrote a letter confirming that the statements were true. In the letter, Darius asked that the people do everything they can to support this rebuilding financially, and that they do nothing to impede it lest they suffer harsh punishment.

Babylonian Cuneiform inscriptions
A number of cuneiform tablets bearing the name Tattenai have survived as part of what may have been a family archive. The tablet that links one member of this family to the Bible character is a promissory note dated to the 20th year of Darius I, 502 BC. It identifies a witness to the transaction as a servant of “Tattannu, governor of Across-the-River”. The clay tablet can be dated to June 5, 502 B.C. exactly.

Name
The Name Tattenai (ושתני), probably derived from the Persian name Ustanu, a word found in Zoroastrian scriptures to mean "teaching" though to the Hebrews it was indistinguishable from an expression of the verb נתן natan, meaning "to give". In 1 Esdras he is called Sisinnes.

Biblical texts
Ezra 1:1-4; 4:4-16; 5:3-7.

Tattenai meaning

Argument from silence DEBUNKED
CONFIRMED
: The Bible - Historically Accurate

I believe that the authors of the Bible had access to written records from other (conquering) cultures that they drew upon for their own stories and records. However, these same authors also drew on stories from other cultures as well as records. So the historical accuracy of the Bible is likely inherited from the historical accuracy of documents from other cultures just as the mythical, fictional narratives it drew upon to create the Biblical stories were.

Where the archeology leads the sense of that accuracy will follow. The historical accuracy of those Biblical sources will be gradually determined, but in many cases the relative lack of historical evidence is telling.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

Sound about right. There were, out of the hundreds of thousands if not millions of people claiming to all live in an area smaller than some national parks without skyscrapers, probably only about 50 real people anyway. :p

In the letter, Darius asked that the people do everything they can to support this rebuilding financially, and that they do nothing to impede it lest they suffer harsh punishment.
You realize this wasn't to honor the biblical God so much as it was to reduce the chances of rebellion and offer an easy economic boon to the area?

Why do you (all) need to show historical evidence if scripture?
Because if they find some rocks with some guy's name on it, that means everything noted in any story about them is automatically true. This is why we know that Achilles' mother was a sea nymph: we found Troy, therefore the Greek Gods existed and played a part in the war.

I find it is Not a question of needing to show historical evidence, but that when Scripture does mention people they are truthfully real people and Not some ' once upon a time ' fairy-tale story people.
But we can make up fairy tales about real people. Finding David's name on a rock doesn't mean he killed a giant as a kid.

If it did Not come from his God, then there is No way Jesus could have based his teachings on Scripture.
Why should teachings be based on scriptures? Is God mandated to follow what is in them? Can He not have His own desires? Who "wears the pants" in heaven, God or the Bible?

It helps persons see the various reasons for trusting the Bible.
People like to say that if we lived as "godly" as the people in Israel/Judah, we'd be doing super awesome. However, reading the bible shows that every time xenophobia and theological monopolies were enforced, it brought about destruction to the extent even the butt-kissing authors couldn't avoid it. They CONTINUED to insist that being narrow-minded and evil towards others were the way to go and they were WRONG if you judge the tree by its fruit. The bible shows us a fairly hardcore manual of how NOT to live if you want a successful and long-lived country.

I find Jesus is a person and Jesus believed he needed Scripture.
Which ones? He seems to be a fan of Moses, Jonah, and Job, but that's about it.

So, how can a person trust God if they don't know what God requires such as His Golden Rule.
The Golden Rule is called that, in part, because other people thought of it too all over the globe.

We don't need Jesus for the Golden Rule.

That's why it's Golden. The Way is the Way no matter who is talking about it.

Apart from Scripture man can't find solutions because man was Not designed to guide his own steps.
EVERY civilization other than Israel and Judah had things like education. Even before Orthodox Jews, there were movements to be educated in NOTHING else but the bible, but that's not going to tell you other things. Even Solomon, the wisest man on earth supposedly, had to outsource the building of the Temple. Maybe if Israel valued actual education instead of burying one's head in irrelevant texts, you wouldn't have to go to godless heathens to help you build a rectangular building any idiot should've been able to build.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon's_Temple
The Bible describes Hiram I of Tyre who furnished architects, workmen and cedar timbers for the temple of his ally Solomon at Jerusalem.
(emphasis mine)

God can't even make His own blueprints:
The Temple of Solomon is considered to be built according to Phoenician design, and its description is considered the best description of what a Phoenician temple looked like.

Because of the religious and political sensitivities involved, no archaeological excavations and only limited surface surveys of the Temple Mount have been conducted since Charles Warren's expedition of 1867–70.[17][18][19] There is no archaeological evidence for the existence of Solomon's Temple, and the building is not mentioned in surviving extra-biblical accounts.[20] Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman argue that the first Jewish temple in Jerusalem was not built until the end of the 7th century BCE, around three hundred years after Solomon.[20] They believe the temple should not really be assigned to Solomon, who they see as little more than a small-time hill country chieftain, and argue that it was most likely built by Josiah, who governed Judah from 639 to 609 BCE.[20]
So much for "certainty". Even Israel doesn't want people digging too much into it (literally and figuratively).

For example: a leaking pipe stains a ceiling and to keep painting over that stain does Not solve the problem.
Trusting a story about a donkey seeing an angel won't fix the leak either.

The ^ above ^ also reminded me of Hebrews 3:8-11 how the people after leaving Egypt grieved God's heart by hardening their hearts toward God. They lacked faith in His word - Hebrews 3:12,19
Imagine you live in practically the most profitable and luxurious lands known to "civilization". Now imagine an adopted Egyptian prince becomes a murderous vigilante, is on the run, and tries to convince you to leave this posh place to run around in the desert where God will spend most of His time trying to eliminate you and your people from the global population AND it takes 4 decades instead of the 2 weeks it should take to get there. Wouldn't you be a little ungrateful that you are really only there eating bug poop and obviously poisoned birds because Moses didn't want to be arrested for breaking the law in a country with far more civil rights than practically everyone else in the Mediterranean?

Yes, I find even Scripture directs us to pray ( talk ) with God directly. No middle man needed to pray to address God.
We just go to God through Jesus
So you ignore what the bible says about how to talk to God. No middle men are necessary but you WANT one, by God!

Victim: HELP, I'M SINKING IN QUICKSAND! GET ME THAT TWIG THAT'S RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU!
"Helper": Hang on. I'm going to order a chain and a winch on Amazon. Should be here in a week or so.

True, Scripture (paper) is perishable, but even throughout the many centuries Bible enemies from both within and without No one can get rid of Scripture.
Hatshepsut's son tried to eliminate all memory of her forever as well, but THAT failed.

Lots of ancient texts all over the globe still exist. So what?

There are books in the bible that are clearly referenced and yet we don't have them, so apparently, SOMEONE got rid of some scriptures, right?

We don't expect every single detail in the Bible to be found, but every single detail found has been verified to be true.
But the kinds of details proven "true" are nothing like proving the STORIES are true.

It is like how the bible claims Hebrews were slaves in Egypt and common media portrayals have them building all the cool stuff, but we have actual invoices, letters, etc that prove skilled workers made those epic things, not slaves.

Israelites later on couldn't even build a Temple without outside help. They aren't going to be building pyramids where souls are at stake (per the Egyptians).

Why do you say it's God, when a man, or men are the ones that tell you these things?
Because a man ISN'T. I hear from God. You know, the Deity, the One Who should be listened to, not some random preacher/priest/prophet.

I mean, I'm truly sorry if God doesn't talk to you, but that's between you and Him.

Don't get me wrong on that. I really do believe people communicate with gods, and hear gods' voice.
They is a saying, "Be carefully what you hear."
And since Jason Lim is who you listened to on that video, that means you accept the position that God can't talk to humans because pastors would be out of a job, I mean, demons could be trying to trick you.

Would you say that the character known as "god" in the
book is like, a central character?
God is, ironically, not a central character in the bible. He goes from being able to walk around with you to having lunch with you to sending angels to talk to you to being a disembodied voice to being something you just have to assume when you listen to other people preaching about Him. It's almost like the bible gets more atheistic by the end of it.

I honestly do not see how "god" could be anything other than the central character.
Actually, the bible is more about humans and their drama than God. God hardly ever shows up in His own set of books. Jesus ends up the same way: gone before he really does much and cameos just a few times in the rest of it.

Audie

Veteran Member
Sound about right. There were, out of the hundreds of thousands if not millions of people claiming to all live in an area smaller than some national parks without skyscrapers, probably only about 50 real people anyway. :p

You realize this wasn't to honor the biblical God so much as it was to reduce the chances of rebellion and offer an easy economic boon to the area?

Because if they find some rocks with some guy's name on it, that means everything noted in any story about them is automatically true. This is why we know that Achilles' mother was a sea nymph: we found Troy, therefore the Greek Gods existed and played a part in the war.

But we can make up fairy tales about real people. Finding David's name on a rock doesn't mean he killed a giant as a kid.

Why should teachings be based on scriptures? Is God mandated to follow what is in them? Can He not have His own desires? Who "wears the pants" in heaven, God or the Bible?

People like to say that if we lived as "godly" as the people in Israel/Judah, we'd be doing super awesome. However, reading the bible shows that every time xenophobia and theological monopolies were enforced, it brought about destruction to the extent even the butt-kissing authors couldn't avoid it. They CONTINUED to insist that being narrow-minded and evil towards others were the way to go and they were WRONG if you judge the tree by its fruit. The bible shows us a fairly hardcore manual of how NOT to live if you want a successful and long-lived country.

Which ones? He seems to be a fan of Moses, Jonah, and Job, but that's about it.

The Golden Rule is called that, in part, because other people thought of it too all over the globe.

We don't need Jesus for the Golden Rule.

That's why it's Golden. The Way is the Way no matter who is talking about it.

EVERY civilization other than Israel and Judah had things like education. Even before Orthodox Jews, there were movements to be educated in NOTHING else but the bible, but that's not going to tell you other things. Even Solomon, the wisest man on earth supposedly, had to outsource the building of the Temple. Maybe if Israel valued actual education instead of burying one's head in irrelevant texts, you wouldn't have to go to godless heathens to help you build a rectangular building any idiot should've been able to build.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon's_Temple
(emphasis mine)

God can't even make His own blueprints:

So much for "certainty". Even Israel doesn't want people digging too much into it (literally and figuratively).

Trusting a story about a donkey seeing an angel won't fix the leak either.

Imagine you live in practically the most profitable and luxurious lands known to "civilization". Now imagine an adopted Egyptian prince becomes a murderous vigilante, is on the run, and tries to convince you to leave this posh place to run around in the desert where God will spend most of His time trying to eliminate you and your people from the global population AND it takes 4 decades instead of the 2 weeks it should take to get there. Wouldn't you be a little ungrateful that you are really only there eating bug poop and obviously poisoned birds because Moses didn't want to be arrested for breaking the law in a country with far more civil rights than practically everyone else in the Mediterranean?

So you ignore what the bible says about how to talk to God. No middle men are necessary but you WANT one, by God!

Victim: HELP, I'M SINKING IN QUICKSAND! GET ME THAT TWIG THAT'S RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU!
"Helper": Hang on. I'm going to order a chain and a winch on Amazon. Should be here in a week or so.

Hatshepsut's son tried to eliminate all memory of her forever as well, but THAT failed.

Lots of ancient texts all over the globe still exist. So what?

There are books in the bible that are clearly referenced and yet we don't have them, so apparently, SOMEONE got rid of some scriptures, right?

But the kinds of details proven "true" are nothing like proving the STORIES are true.

It is like how the bible claims Hebrews were slaves in Egypt and common media portrayals have them building all the cool stuff, but we have actual invoices, letters, etc that prove skilled workers made those epic things, not slaves.

Israelites later on couldn't even build a Temple without outside help. They aren't going to be building pyramids where souls are at stake (per the Egyptians).

Because a man ISN'T. I hear from God. You know, the Deity, the One Who should be listened to, not some random preacher/priest/prophet.

I mean, I'm truly sorry if God doesn't talk to you, but that's between you and Him.

And since Jason Lim is who you listened to on that video, that means you accept the position that God can't talk to humans because pastors would be out of a job, I mean, demons could be trying to trick you.

God is, ironically, not a central character in the bible. He goes from being able to walk around with you to having lunch with you to sending angels to talk to you to being a disembodied voice to being something you just have to assume when you listen to other people preaching about Him. It's almost like the bible gets more atheistic by the end of it.

Actually, the bible is more about humans and their drama than God. God hardly ever shows up in His own set of books. Jesus ends up the same way: gone before he really does much and cameos just a few times in the rest of it.

Hmm, I see your point about central character.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Interesting to say that 'much of the Bible is political' because some people in the first century were looking for a political Messiah to free them from oppression. So, how disappointed they were in Jesus because as King (political) of God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 Jesus did Not take political action in the first century.

you can lead an *** to water but you can't necessarily make them think otherwise.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

ARGUMENT FROM SILENCE
Skeptics have attacked the Biblical record using the argument from silence. The fact that for many Biblical characters, there is no mention of them outside of the Biblical record in the findings of archeology or ancient inscriptions or manuscripts, calls their historicity into question.
That seems unfair slander against Archeology and Scientists. If they were not skeptical than the significance of their discovery would be discredited. Nobody would have reason to believe them about the stele discovered in 1993 or any other. Sciences are not supposed to just make things up or wink at lack of evidence, and lashing Archeologists for skepticism? Would you rather have the lollipop guild?

Audie

Veteran Member
That seems unfair slander against Archeology and Scientists. If they were not skeptical than the significance of their discovery would be discredited. Nobody would have reason to believe them about the stele discovered in 1993 or any other. Sciences are not supposed to just make things up or wink at lack of evidence, and lashing Archeologists for skepticism? Would you rather have the lollipop guild?

This is what you get when the phony finds a
credulous audience.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sod...&biw=851&bih=471&dpr=1.5#imgrc=w_NUj0YYWRyJeM:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This is what you get when the phony finds a
credulous audience.
https://www.google.com/search?q=sod...&biw=851&bih=471&dpr=1.5#imgrc=w_NUj0YYWRyJeM:
I followed the link to its source. It is a hilarious site:

74.gif

Even a high school level of geology would refute that.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Or perhaps that it never happened at all. A handwaved argument with no evidence at all is pretty much worthless.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If so, one thing I can ask is, “Don’t you think belief in a God should have some basis to it? Some support?”

No. Id assume god works through you foremost. Why would you (and god) need support when god can talk to you directly; even more so if you cant hear god without scripture, what about gods nature that makes him god but not do much you know him apart from whats written rather than the same message said?

How is his written voice more accurate than spoken-since he is god?

Like, something to base your faith on?

As JW’s, our study of the Scriptures provides this basis: 40+ writers spanning over 1600 years, and yet complete harmony within its pages is read when adhering to an accurate interpretation of death, free will, Jehovah’s omniscience, the importance and meaning of Jesus’ sacrifice, etc., etc.

It’s actually, for us, too much evidence to ever refute an Intelligent Source behind it all!

Actually, I dont see evidence. When reading about history, god/spirit doesnt form from no where. When I hear people talk, there is no revelation. Watching a baby born doesnt tell me "thats god". Im honestly and positively ignorant of the abrahamic god.

Youd have to go beyond whats written and talk more about the conclusions you had that god exists. It has to be objective if using history to support your conclusions.

Can you only experience god through scriptures only?
Is that the Only way god can speak?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Thank you. Thats informative. It does support my point, though: not trusting what you hear is from god, as though god cannot talk in a way that differentiates his "good words" from mans words. I dont put man down for not being god; but, I do find it a comfort zone as to not "go up the mountain" yourselves. Others can do it for you.

If god speaks the same orally as well as written (oral words incarnated) how would you say what you read is true when you can be fooled by man regardless if god speaks to you directly or he does by paper?

In other words, how is whats written a better source than whats said -when coming from god?
1. How do you know it's the true God speaking, and not a god who deceives?
2. I think we can verify if the writings are true by doing what this verse says
1 John 4:1 . . .do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, . . .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
1 John 4:1 . . .do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, . . .
How would you test the scriptures? To properly test something there must be a reasonable manner in which it could fail. And I thought that the scriptures warned you not to test them.

QuestioningMind

ARGUMENT FROM SILENCE

The argument goes that if such people really lived, one would expect to find some trace of them outside of sacred writings.

Add one more to the list.
Tattenai, also called Sisinnes, (flourished c. 6th–5th century BCE), Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River (eber nāri, “beyond the river”) during the reign of Darius I (522–486 BCE).
According to the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) Book of Ezra, Tattenai led an investigation into the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem about 519 BCE. He sent a report to Darius, who responded with instructions to allow the work to proceed. Tattenai is one of the few Persian officials mentioned in the Hebrew Bible for whom there is independent attestation; he is mentioned in a cuneiform tablet dated 502 BCE.

Tattenai
Tattenai (or Tatnai or Sisinnes) was a Biblical character and a Persian governor of the province west of the Euphrates River during the time of Zerubbabel and the reign of Darius I.

He is best known for questioning King Darius in regard to the rebuilding of a temple for the Lord, God of Israel. He was generally friendly to the Jews.The rebuilding was being led by Jeshua, son of Jozadak, and Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel, and had been issued by King Cyrus I. Tattenai wrote a letter to King Darius to ask of these statements were true, and then King Darius wrote a letter confirming that the statements were true. In the letter, Darius asked that the people do everything they can to support this rebuilding financially, and that they do nothing to impede it lest they suffer harsh punishment.

Babylonian Cuneiform inscriptions
A number of cuneiform tablets bearing the name Tattenai have survived as part of what may have been a family archive. The tablet that links one member of this family to the Bible character is a promissory note dated to the 20th year of Darius I, 502 BC. It identifies a witness to the transaction as a servant of “Tattannu, governor of Across-the-River”. The clay tablet can be dated to June 5, 502 B.C. exactly.

Name
The Name Tattenai (ושתני), probably derived from the Persian name Ustanu, a word found in Zoroastrian scriptures to mean "teaching" though to the Hebrews it was indistinguishable from an expression of the verb נתן natan, meaning "to give". In 1 Esdras he is called Sisinnes.

Biblical texts
Ezra 1:1-4; 4:4-16; 5:3-7.

Tattenai meaning

Argument from silence DEBUNKED
CONFIRMED
: The Bible - Historically Accurate

Are you asking why the bible should be trusted as an historical document? Just like any historical document, those parts that can be verified via secondary sources should be granted far more weight than those parts than cannot be confirmed by secondary sources. Any claim that can't be verified by a secondary source should be viewed with a certain degree of skepticism.

There are those who would argue that because some parts of the bible have been confirmed as historically accurate by secondary sources that we should assume that the parts that aren't confirmed by secondary sources are also true. But that's a very dangerous assumption to make. I can cite endless works of fiction that contain numerous references to historical events that actually happened. However, that doesn't make any of the fictional parts of the book true.

And of course no amount of historical accuracy that may be found in the bible does anything to validate the truth of any fantastical claims made in the book.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Or better still, check for ways to determine whether one's view is an accurate reflection of reality or not.
Tests, of course.

You're well ahead of me. I have no problems with imaginary divine beings, but I have no idea what a real one could be.
I suppose if someone handed you a map, and told you x marks the spot to a hidden treasure worth a lifetime of luxury - you'd have to imagine it... but you'd never see or get, or know if the treasure is there, if you didn't follow the map and start digging.
Map = Bible & creation.
Treasure = God.
Dig dig...

First, the use of correct names and places in the bible doesn't demonstrate that any particular part of the bible is overall an accurate source of history, any more than James Bond books are overall an accurate source of history.
Did you leave out events and timing on purpose?
Put all together, over and over, you get history.

Second, no matter what the bible says about the supernatural, either the supernatural has objective existence and therefore we can examine it like anything else with objective existence, independently of books and reports; or it's imaginary, which as far as I can tell is the case.
Well I am no god, so I don't consider my mind above the limits of mortals and their machines, but the day man knows everything, is the day I'll take your words seriously.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Are you asking why the bible should be trusted as an historical document? Just like any historical document, those parts that can be verified via secondary sources should be granted far more weight than those parts than cannot be confirmed by secondary sources. Any claim that can't be verified by a secondary source should be viewed with a certain degree of skepticism.

There are those who would argue that because some parts of the bible have been confirmed as historically accurate by secondary sources that we should assume that the parts that aren't confirmed by secondary sources are also true. But that's a very dangerous assumption to make. I can cite endless works of fiction that contain numerous references to historical events that actually happened. However, that doesn't make any of the fictional parts of the book true.
Agreed

And of course no amount of historical accuracy that may be found in the bible does anything to validate the truth of any fantastical claims made in the book.
No amount? So if all the accounts in the Bible were verified historically this would not be enough proof to validate other small details mentioned in those accounts? And people believe evolution based on what?
I don't think that's a reasonable argument in the least.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you dont trust god, you wont know the difference.

If its the true god, I assume he'd speak in a way youd tell the diference.

We could. If my aunt talked ot me directly, though she has passed on, I'd listen to her first not whats writen about her. Would that be weird if she were here today, Id talk to her through a book about her.

Let me ask. If god says the same thing in speech to moses adn in writing to the apostles, why would you think now you could be fooled if he spoke to you, when moses was not fooled and to him, gods written message was the same as the oral dictations of it.

If god said the same thing by talking to you, what makes his written dictations more reliable than hearing it first hand?

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Agreed

No amount? So if all the accounts in the Bible were verified historically this would not be enough proof to validate other small details mentioned in those accounts? And people believe evolution based on what?
I don't think that's a reasonable argument in the least.

What 'small details' are you referring to? Small details like walking on water or healing with a touch or rising from the dead? I don't consider fantastical supernatural details to be small. Even if every single historical detail was verified with numerous secondary sources it would do absolutely nothing to confirm wildly fantastical claims that have no secondary sources.

As for evolution, no one accepts anything about evolution based on accounts written in ancient texts without secondary sources. So I really don't have a clue why you would mention evolution at all.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Any good story teller will lace their stories with fact to make the story sound more believable. It's a technique used just as much 2 or 3 thousand years ago as it is today.

Ive seen alnwick so harry potter must be true.