• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

Audie

Veteran Member
I think "On the Origin of Species" takes that sorry prize.

Pretty dumb thought, considering how few read it.
I havent, You havent.

But then, you were at a loss for a clever quip, and,
that was the best you could do.

Audie

Veteran Member
As you read the Bible you can 'taste and see the Lord is good' Ps 34

How do you tell honey is sweet? you put it on your tongue and try it.

How predictable. Thoughtful analysis has nothing to
do with it, it is all about feelings.

Jumi

Of course the books included in the Bible have some historical facts collaborated with other findings. How is it surprising? Do we believe other texts solely on the basis that they refer to some real people who existed?

Audie

Veteran Member
Religious studies cover all that. Its not bias. Im looking more into The Buddha Dharma. If you think the bible has mythological stories, read the suttas. They make the bible very small compared.

Cultural appropriation is in, Id say, all religions. Its not a bad thing as you guys make it out to be. Its not unique.

Like I cant see that cultural appropriation goes on all
the time, or make it out to be a bad thing. "you guys".
Honestly, what is with you?

Skipped the part about imperialism and avoided seeing
any point to what I said about appropriation. Just black
white, good bad, you right me wrong.

Audie

Veteran Member
Of course the books included in the Bible have some historical facts collaborated with other findings. How is it surprising? Do we believe other texts solely on the basis that they refer to some real people who existed?

Would you say that the character known as "god" in the
book is like, a central character?

Jumi

Would you say that the character known as "god" in the
book is like, a central character?
Though I fail to see what it has to do with my post, I don't read the books of the Bible literally like some fundamentalists and anti-theists do. I see it as a mix of history, mythology, culture, poetry, philosophy and metaphysics. Some fact, some fiction. The literalists vision of God I leave for the two groups to "enjoy"...

Audie

Veteran Member
Though I fail to see what it has to do with my post, I don't read the books of the Bible literally like some fundamentalists and anti-theists do. I see it as a mix of history, mythology, culture, poetry, philosophy and metaphysics. Some fact, some fiction. The literalists vision of God I leave for the two groups to "enjoy"...

Maybe not so directly related to what you said.

Just saying that-

The book has a number of characters and events, that
are real enough if not real exact.

Other characters and events that are fictional.

I guess you'd agree with that.

Wondered if you consider the main
character to be fictional but central.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Another

Another who thinks he somehow needs to give me
lessons in how to read literature, and feels free to make up things to say about me.

Is that how you feel?

I usually dont put my opinion. Id assume readers dont think Im talking at or for them??

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Like I cant see that cultural appropriation goes on all
the time, or make it out to be a bad thing. "you guys".
Honestly, what is with you?

Skipped the part about imperialism and avoided seeing
any point to what I said about appropriation. Just black
white, good bad, you right me wrong.

Think you talked to too many white and black believers and making assumptions of me by how they talk to you. Thats my observation. Cut the sarcasm, and Id address your statements fully. You dont need to find argument in a debate. Theyre not the same:oops:

Audie

Veteran Member
Is that how you feel?

I usually dont put my opinion. Id assume readers dont think Im talking at or for them??

If I offer you information, it would be because I
figured you didnt know it. You addressed it to me.

If you say that "you guys" do something that I dont
do, it is about me, and, it is made up.

Audie

Veteran Member
Think you talked to too many white and black believers and making assumptions of me by how they talk to you. Thats my observation. Cut the sarcasm, and Id address your statements fully. You dont need to find argument in a debate. Theyre not the same:oops:

Ok, now you see sarcasm that is not there.

Debate sans argument is impossible.

Same goes for when you make things up.

Lets drop it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If I offer you information, it would be because I
figured you didnt know it. You addressed it to me.

If you say that "you guys" do something that I dont
do, it is about me, and, it is made up.

My apologies. Didnt know youd take that much offense. How you present your argument, that argument style and context reminds me of believers and some together approch me the same way. Its interesting, but not meant to be more than an observation.

Audie

Veteran Member

I cannot but agree with that in bold, it is the same
thing I do. Other than that I've not opened a bible in
years, may never again.

Audie

Veteran Member
My apologies. Didnt know youd take that much offense. How you present your argument, that argument style and context reminds me of believers and some together approch me the same way. Its interesting, but not meant to be more than an observation.

No, I am not offended. Just, you keep saying things
that seem disconnected from reality, like that one
can debate without argument, and that I think this or do that, which are only your imagining. I dont see where to go from there.

I'd prefer to drop it than to feel I need to explain myself
every time you get it wrong.

Another time?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, I am not offended. Just, you keep saying things
that seem disconnected from reality, like that one
can debate without argument, and that I think this or do that, which are only your imagining. I dont see where to go from there.

I'd prefer to drop it than to feel I need to explain myself
every time you get it wrong.

Another time?

I dont know why you are explaing yourself. You offered clarification. Thanks. Everything else "this is your imagjning" is not a good way to clear up miscommunication. Arguments usually have heavy communication (your imaginings) rather than a debate that clears up misundertstands and both parties back up evidence of the statements said.

Passive arguments do not do this. Debates, both parties have no need to end discussion because the discussion is based on facts and support. Arguments are based on the persons talking.

Its a technical observation of your "statements" not you as a person I somehow put in one group. You all is bad wording. Your guys' statements is better.

You dont need to call it quites unless you honesty were offended by my words. Nothing wrong with your opinion just express it without sarcasm (Im on a tablet so I dont want to back track saracstic statements) not you. Your statements.

Audie

Veteran Member
I dont know why you are explaing yourself. You offered clarification. Thanks. Everything else "this is your imagjning" is not a good way to clear up miscommunication. Arguments usually have heavy communication (your imaginings) rather than a debate that clears up misundertstands and both parties back up evidence of the statements said.

Passive arguments do not do this. Debates, both parties have no need to end discussion because the discussion is based on facts and support. Arguments are based on the persons talking.

Its a technical observation of your "statements" not you as a person I somehow put in one group. You all is bad wording. Your guys' statements is better.

You dont need to call it quites unless you honesty were offended by my words. Nothing wrong with your opinion just express it without sarcasm (Im on a tablet so I dont want to back track saracstic statements) not you. Your statements.

Um, whatevs. If there is an actual topic in here, I can talk about it.

discussion is based on facts and support. Arguments are based on the persons talking.

I suppose, but you did say "debate' which doth perforce
need the "argument", much as it does not need to be
confrontational.

Facts and support are fine; I prefer that to opinions of facts
not in evidence. And I prefer not to have my ideas (mis)
categorized as in "you guys".

So, where were we? :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Facts and support are fine; I prefer that to opinions of facts
not in evidence.

And I prefer not to have my ideas (mis)
categorized as in "you guys".

We were talking about history in the bible until you kept going with my putting "you guys" in a box. I apologized but seems like you cant move on.