• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

sooda

Veteran Member
True, but the route described through the Sinai in Exodus reflect well known historical trade routes, Oasis, and routes associated with Egyptian mines using slaves like Azurite mines.

The mines were Egyptian and Edomite. What are you speaking of?

Azurite is unstable in air, however it was used as a blue pigment in antiquity. Azurite is naturally occurring in Sinai and the Eastern Desert of Egypt. It was reported by F. C. J. Spurrell (1895) in the following examples; a shell used as a pallet in a Fourth Dynasty (2613 to 2494 BCE) context in Meidum, a cloth over the face of a Fifth Dynasty (2494 to 2345 BCE) mummy also at Meidum and a number of Eighteenth Dynasty(1543–1292 BCE) wall paintings. Depending on the degree of fine…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azurite

nPeace

Veteran Member
Not sure what you mean with not having all the facts, what facts are you referring to or missing?

Yeah that sounds about right, but will depend on whether one believe in objective morality or not. If one does not, then an act of God, which is perceived as evil, would be evil regardless of God's nature by those that perceive it.
Not having all the facts mean just that. You judge a situation with limited facts.
For example, you enter an alley, and see a man with a bloodstained metal rod in his hand, standing over what appears to be a dead body, and without having all the facts (you only have what you see), you judge the situation based on those facts alone.

Similarly, one may read an account in the Bible, and judge the situation based on those facts alone, without knowing all the facts, like why, for example.

Objective morality?
Please. Inform me all about this objective morality - like what it is; who made it; what makes it objective.

sooda

Veteran Member
Name three.

The firstborn in Egypt

God instructed Saul through the prophet Samuel to “go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all of them including their livestock

All male babies under 2 by Herod

Noah's flood

Elisha (with help from God) sent two bears to kill 42 children for making fun of his bald head

Sodom and Gomorrah

Nimos

Similarly, one may read an account in the Bible, and judge the situation based on those facts alone, without knowing all the facts, like why, for example.
The statement you made were so wide that Im not sure what you are referring to. But if you mean in general, obviously the answer is yes. If one does not have all the facts and then fill in the blanks then they could make mistakes.

But one could also approach the bible from a perspective that if these things that are written in it, were considered to way off in regards to what the Jews wanted it to say, that we would probably not find these stories in it. As someone along the line would probably have reacted to it as the stories were apparently told over and over again, until finally being written down.

If im not to judge the bible based on what is written in it, while no other evidence are presented to me, to show that my understanding of it is wrong. Then I will work with the assumption that the bible is written the way it is, because the Jews thought it was important to be there, whatever their reason might have been. That is why I asked into your question for clarification as you are talking about missing facts or limited facts... Which im not sure, what are suppose to be, unless an clarification of where im wrong is being presented, and since im not even sure if you were actually referring to me or maybe that the Babylonians didn't have all the facts, I found the question confusing. But hopefully I answered it :)

Objective morality?
Please. Inform me all about this objective morality - like what it is; who made it; what makes it objective.
Well you probably ask the wrong person, because I do not believe objective morality exists, so that is easily answered I guessed. :) But the most simple explanation of objective morality as I see it, is that something is considered morally right or wrong regardless of whether humans are there to observe/experience it or not, said in another way, whether we exist or not.

If one believe in God, its very likely that he would be considered the creator of objective morals/morality I guess, since he is the creator of everything.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
The firstborn in Egypt

God instructed Saul through the prophet Samuel to “go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all of them including their livestock

All male babies under 2 by Herod

Noah's flood

Elisha (with help from God) sent two bears to kill 42 children for making fun of his bald head

Sodom and Gomorrah
Herod doesn't count because we can find slaughter of children in secular history through the centuries, showing cruelty of man, so that would just substantiate the historical accuracy of the Bible, in documenting the barbarity of men at war.
I mean, do you think when the US dropped the atom bomb, they hoped that children would be immune?

The flood, and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah don't count either, because as rightful judge, God has the right to judge mankind, and he did make provisions, so the parents who did not respond, were responsible for their children's deaths. God is not obligated to snatch children from parents, and take them anywhere.
When God brings destination on this world, as promised in scripture, do you think he plans on making a heavenly tent to draw up all the children in?

I'll allow Egypt, although the firstborn doesn't have to be a baby, and there is nothing that says, "innocent baby". Innocent? You don't know that, but proceed. So far you have one.
The other three don't count, unless you are making a point, I have no idea of...

sooda

Veteran Member
Herod doesn't count because we can find slaughter of children in secular history through the centuries, showing cruelty of man, so that would just substantiate the historical accuracy of the Bible, in documenting the barbarity of men at war.
I mean, do you think when the US dropped the atom bomb, they hoped that children would be immune?

The flood, and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah don't count either, because as rightful judge, God has the right to judge mankind, and he did make provisions, so the parents who did not respond, were responsible for their children's deaths. God is not obligated to snatch children from parents, and take them anywhere.
When God brings destination on this world, as promised in scripture, do you think he plans on making a heavenly tent to draw up all the children in?

I'll allow Egypt, although the firstborn doesn't have to be a baby, and there is nothing that says, "innocent baby". Innocent? You don't know that, but proceed. So far you have one.
The other three don't count, unless you are making a point, I have no idea of...

Whatever...……...

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The mines were Egyptian and Edomite. What are you speaking of?

Azurite is unstable in air, however it was used as a blue pigment in antiquity. Azurite is naturally occurring in Sinai and the Eastern Desert of Egypt. It was reported by F. C. J. Spurrell (1895) in the following examples; a shell used as a pallet in a Fourth Dynasty (2613 to 2494 BCE) context in Meidum, a cloth over the face of a Fifth Dynasty (2494 to 2345 BCE) mummy also at Meidum and a number of Eighteenth Dynasty(1543–1292 BCE) wall paintings. Depending on the degree of fine…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azurite

Azurite is only one example of the mines in the Sinai that was a part of the trade routes where slaves were used to mine it. Other mineral resources used by Egyptians are turquoise and copper. These trade routs were well known for these reasons, and why the description in Exodus fits the trade routes.

nPeace

Veteran Member
The statement you made were so wide that Im not sure what you are referring to. But if you mean in general, obviously the answer is yes. If one does not have all the facts and then fill in the blanks then they could make mistakes.

But one could also approach the bible from a perspective that if these things that are written in it, were considered to way off in regards to what the Jews wanted it to say, that we would probably not find these stories in it. As someone a long the line would probably have reacted to it as the stories were apparently told over and over again, until finally being written down.

If im not to judge the bible based on what is written in it, while no other evidence are presented to me, to show that my understanding of it is wrong. Then I will work with the assumption that the bible is written the way it is, because the Jews thought it was important to be there, whatever their reason might have been. That is why I asked into your question for clarification as you are talking about missing facts or limited facts... Which im not sure, what are suppose to be, unless an clarification of where im wrong is being presented, and since im not even sure if you were actually referring to me or maybe that the Babylonians didn't have all the facts, I found the question confusing. But hopefully I answered it :)
Yes. I think you totally misunderstood.
Let's take the plagues in Egypt. Do you know why God killed all the firstborn in Egypt? Do you know why God ordered King Saul to wipe out every last one of the Amalekites - including children? Does the same Bible have the answer?

Well you probably ask the wrong person, because I do not believe objective morality exists, so that is easily answered I guessed. :) But the most simple explanation of objective morality as I see it, is that something is considered morally right or wrong regardless of whether humans are there to observe/experience it or not, said in another way, whether we exist or not.

If one believe in God, its very likely that he would be considered the creator of objective morals/morality I guess, since he is the creator of everything.
Thank you. I agree.
The Bible interestingly, contains moral standards that have been incorporated into worldly systems for centuries. Only recently, has there been a push to eradicate them. Yet it is known that doing so often lead to regret.
The nations seem confused - one minute they remove a law, then they bring it back. They are totally clueless.
I think that is another clear indicator, that the Bible is divinely authored.

However, you said earlier... Yeah that sounds about right, but will depend on whether one believe in objective morality or not. If one does not, then an act of God, which is perceived as evil, would be evil regardless of God's nature by those that perceive it.

Could you please explain? I don't understand it.
How can one judge something as evil, when there is no objective morality?

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

There are examples of the slaughter of children in Hebrew and Christina history also. There is no historical record outside the Bible that Herod slaughtered children.

Bizzaro justification of the slaughter of children in scripture. They all count.

sooda

Veteran Member
Azurite is only one example of the mines in the Sinai that was a part of the trade routes where slaves were used to mine it. Other mineral resources used by Egyptians are turquoise and copper. These trade routs were well known for these reasons, and why the description in Exodus fits the trade routes.

Long before Islam the Arabs were trading with Egypt, the Levant, Persia,Yemen, Mesopotamia, East Africa and the Indus Valley.. Everybody especially wanted copper and tin to make bronze. Herod and the Egyptian Pharaohs were a huge customer for frankincense and myrrh.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Your source describes infanticide in all religions and cultures including Christianity. What was your purpose of citing this source?

Infanticide.
Then how in the world can the flood and destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah be considered infanticide?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Long before Islam the Arabs were trading with Egypt, the Levant, Persia,Yemen, Mesopotamia, East Africa and the Indus Valley.. Everybody especially wanted copper and tin to make bronze. Herod and the Egyptian Pharaohs were a huge customer for frankincense and myrrh.

I think you missed my point. The routes recorded for the Hebrews in Exodus were well known trade routes with a history going back to the Neolithic.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Then how in the world can the flood and destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah be considered infanticide?

There is no evidence the flood ever occured as described in the Bible, In fact it is kind of impossible. The best evidence found at present indicates that the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah were natural volcanic events attributed to God by believers at the time.

It is common in virtually all ancient cultures of the world to attribute natural disasters to divine retribution.

nPeace

Veteran Member
There is no evidence the flood ever occured as described in the Bible, In fact it is kind of impossible. The best evidence found at present indicates that the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah were natural volcanic events attributed to God by believers at the time.

It is common in virtually all ancient cultures of the world to attribute natural disasters to divine retribution.
So you change the subject. I didn't ask you that. We were talking about what is written in the Bible.
Also, you never did respond to my questions here, so I conclude honestly, you don't honestly believe what is written in the Bible, and I don't think you really believe that God has anything to do with what's written in the Bible.
I don't know what you believe, other than beliefs in science.