• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Why Trust It

nPeace

Veteran Member
That would be precisely where the Bible is wrong calling it justice to the innocent babies of the Babylonians
Justice to the innocent babies of the Babylonians. o_O
Did you realize what you said? Justice to the innocent babies. ?
Justice to... ?

Why would you understand what was said to be "God dealing justice to babies"?
No one said that.

Anyway, the tyrannical nation suffers - whatever the consequences of their tyranny. If their babies are killed, it's due to their actions.
God blesses and he curses.

God can protect all children. He can also remove all of them from this world. He could stop up all the wombs.
God does what he pleases.

The Bible tells us who God - the creator - is.
I think it comes down to this... If the Bible is true, (that's the purpose of this thread) then that's who God is, and we either accept him, or reject him.
So, some people have decided to hold on to the Bible (I don't know why, considering) while deciding which parts about God they will keep, and which parts they will discard.
I don't think that is any different to making one's god. In other words, they dictate what God should be, and what he should do.
Nothing is wrong with questioning, but when we question, where do we look for the answer... ourselves, or God?

On the other hand, if one doesn't believe the Bible to be true, we have so many options available - Hinduism, Buddhism, Atheism, etc.

I think there is a great deal of evidence available, to be strongly convinced the Bible is true.
The argument that God kills babies is not evidence against the truthfulness of the Bible.
Making the argument that God is vengeful doesn't either.

Why would that be evidence against the authenticity of the Bible? :shrug: Somebody? Anybody? Please.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I would agree with that, it would be weird for a God, to not protect those they believed to be their chosen people and seek revenge on anyone that harms them. And the bible doesn't hide this either.

Based on the bible, that he is all good.
You said...
The only difference is that the later (vengeance on the Babylonians, resulting in children being slaughtered), seem to conflict with the nature of God (you claim you meant, as described in the Bible).

How do you decide what the nature of God is, as written in the Bible, when they ("good, bad, and ugly" about God) are all written in the Bible?
:confused: Hope that's not confusing.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Justice to the innocent babies of the Babylonians. o_O
Did you realize what you said? Justice to the innocent babies. ?
Justice to... ?

Why would you understand what was said to be "God dealing justice to babies"?
No one said that.
So your God is unjust to babies?

Why worship an unjust God? If the consequence is physical death we are all going to die anyway so it makes no difference.

If it means you will be shunned by your friends find new friends.

If it means you will be shunned by your family follow it outwardly till you are old enough to support yourself then drop it when your parents die.

Nimos

How do you decide what the nature of God is, as written in the Bible, when they ("good, bad, and ugly" about God) are all written in the Bible?
:confused: Hope that's not confusing.
No, that is a fair question.

As far as I know, it is never said in the bible that God is bad or evil. So it depends on perspective of who is viewing God. The closest you get to him being so, is against those God do not like, in which case he is vengeful, but then again in the eyes of the Jews that would still be good. :)

So whether you or me perceive what he does as being good/just or evil/unjust is for us to decide as outside viewers of the actions that he performs. But purely based on the bible, I don't recall him ever being referred to as evil/bad.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
So your God is unjust to babies?

Why worship an unjust God? If the consequence is physical death we are all going to die anyway so it makes no difference.
How do you conclude God is unjust to babies? I don't.
How do you know we are all going to die? I don't.

If it means you will be shunned by your friends find new friends.

If it means you will be shunned by your family follow it outwardly till you are old enough to support yourself then drop it when your parents die.
Do you love the fact that you are misinformed? Why do that to yourself? It's not benefiting you anyway. ...or is that part of a mission of yours?

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
No, that is a fair question.

As far as I know, it is never said in the bible that God is bad or evil. So it depends on perspective of who is viewing God. The closest you get to him being so, is against those God do not like, in which case he is vengeful, but then again in the eyes of the Jews that would still be good. :)

So whether you or me perceive what he does as being good/just or evil/unjust is for us to decide as outside viewers of the actions that he performs. But purely based on the bible, I don't recall him ever being referred to as evil/bad.
That sounds reasonable.
So one's perspective may be based on not having all the facts, but judging the matter on limited knowledge, understanding, or even a bias. Is that fair to say?
So while an act of God may be viewed as evil, it may be part of the good nature of God.. just not viewed from the right perspective. Reasonable?

Nimos

So one's perspective may be based on not having all the facts, but judging the matter on limited knowledge, understanding, or even a bias. Is that fair to say?
Not sure what you mean with not having all the facts, what facts are you referring to or missing?

So while an act of God may be viewed as evil, it may be part of the good nature of God.. just not viewed from the right perspective. Reasonable?
Yeah that sounds about right, but will depend on whether one believe in objective morality or not. If one does not, then an act of God, which is perceived as evil, would be evil regardless of God's nature by those that perceive it.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So from this, you don't believe God has revealed anything to man?

No that is not what posted. There are the ten commandments and teachings in the Torah that Revelation, but it is abundantly clear that not all the text of the Torah is the Revealed word of God.

How do you know of God, or do you?

I know God through the positive spiritual attributes of God taught in all the religions over the millennia, and not the ancient human cultural view of God that reflects the ancient world views and divides humans in tribal conflicts.

sooda

Veteran Member
I find what Jesus teaches does prove that what he taught did Not come from his own originality.
If it did Not come from his God, then there is No way Jesus could have based his teachings on Scripture.
What Jesus taught proved true, and is still coming true as we will see the unfolding of 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 when 'they' (the powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security..." as the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

The tribulation was local.. Jesus told them the flee to the mountains. They escaped to Pella. It was over when the temple was destroyed or when Massada fell.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The tribulation was local.. Jesus told them the flee to the mountains. They escaped to Pella. It was over when the temple was destroyed or when Massada fell.

What evidence supports that Jesus told them? Various Messianic figures were foretelling an apocalypse of sorts to inspire some to leave Jeruselem and seek refuge, and it is possible they were following their own leadership to seek refuge at Massada. There was trouble brewing and ripe for rebellion on many corners. Agreed the tribulation was local..I just wished they took more scrolls and buried them at Massada.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member
What evidence supports that Jesus told them? Various Messianic figures were foretelling an apocalypse of sorts to inspire some to leaqve Jeruselem and seek refuge, and it is possible they were following their own leadership to seek refuge at Massada. There was trouble brewing and ripe for rebellion on many corners. Agreed the tribulation was local.

Jesus was talking about Antiochus IV Epiphanes. He said when you see the abomination of desolation AGAIN flee to the mountains. Antiochus also persecuted the Jews.

Massada was when renegade Jews were raiding the countryside stealing livestock and food and killing Jewish farmers... The Roman soldiers and their troops from Syria, Egypt and Arabia finally penned them up in Herod's fortress at Msssa.

sooda

Veteran Member
How do you conclude God is unjust to babies? I don't.
How do you know we are all going to die? I don't.

Do you love the fact that you are misinformed? Why do that to yourself? It's not benefiting you any
way. ...or is that part of a mission of yours?

Too many Bible Stories begin with the slaughter of innocent babies. Haven't you noticed?

sooda

Veteran Member
. . . because it was human tribal justice and not Divine intervention.

The Bablyonians weren't tribal savages. They had writing and the Code of Hammunrabbi, sailboats and irrigation long before Adam and Eve covered themselves with fig leaves.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The Bablyonians weren't tribal savages. They had writing and the Code of Hammunrabbi, sailboats and irrigation long before Adam and Eve covered themselves with fig leaves.

It is true that the Babylonians were more civilized, but still tribal in their relationships with their neighbors.

sooda

Veteran Member
It is true that the Babylonians were more civilized, but still tribal in their relationships with their neighbors.

Remember the story in the bible about the good figs and the bad figs? Only the good figs were taken to Babylon. The bad figs were left behind. Daniel is a complete fiction.. He was never in Babylon at all.. so his tales of mistreatment is BC.

Remember … the trade route between Egypt and Babylon was bandit territory.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Remember … the trade route between Egypt and Babylon was bandit territory.

True, but the route described through the Sinai in Exodus reflect well known historical trade routes, Oasis, and routes associated with Egyptian mines using slaves like Azurite mines.

sooda

Veteran Member
True, but the route described through the Sinai in Exodus reflect well known historical trade routes, Oasis, and routes associated with Egyptian mines using slaves like Azurite mines.

A caravan (no camels) would take less than 30 days to cross Sinai... not 40 years.

Audie

Veteran Member
Christians were called Atheists by Romans so I will be happy to go

I find your overall question too reductionistic....
there are many aspects of this

God says vengeance is mine, I will repay and so stepping back and letting God repay is indeed Biblical where taking things into your own hands is not

That is not the only issue. We are not to rejoice rather offer them mercy. Even in the case of Ninevah God was stunningly merciful offering repentance.... so much so that Jonah ran the other way

That also is not the only way, God may use the discipline as a means of repentance and turning one to a better thing, Himself.

Note in Psalm 137 by the rivers of Babylon we wept we could not in our power sing
Note in Psalm 138 God will make A:: KINGS SING even nasty Babylonians

In a bigger picture both Jew and gentile are without strength to come to God but God will draw them both in Christ

As far as trusting the Bible, it is fully trustworthy
and there is substantial archeological evidence for it
AND taste and see that the Lord is good!! How do you know honey tastes good?
put it on your tongue!

Trust it? Of course thrre is "archseological" evieence for such
as the dead sea or egypt. Do you focus exclusively on what
confirms your chosen belief? Plz do not serve on a jury.

The flood story is nonsense. There is so much, so many ways to
prove it is just bs and did not happen!

Guess you must be most reluctant to risk a taste of that.

nPeace

Veteran Member
No that is not what posted. There are the ten commandments and teachings in the Torah that Revelation, but it is abundantly clear that not all the text of the Torah is the Revealed word of God.
So you believe God spoke to Moses on a burning mountain, and handed him the ten commandments, which he passed on to an entire nation he was appointed by God to lead? Yet, you don't believe God performed miracles through the hands of Moses - like the ten plagues and the parting of the red sea?
You probably don't think that God spoke to Moses from a burning bush either, do you?

Isn't that an accurate representation of what I said earlier?
...some people have decided to hold on to the Bible (I don't know why, considering) while deciding which parts about God they will keep, and which parts they will discard.
I don't think that is any different to making one's god. In other words, they dictate what God should be, and what he should do.

How is it "abundantly clear that not all the text of the Torah is the Revealed word of God"? Did you have some type of spiritual vision, regarding this?

Some think it's abundantly clear that the Torah is the Revealed word of God, and that's through the corroboration of the very text, as given by the prophets, Psalms, Jesus Christ, and the apostles, as well as the fact that many of those events and characters in those corroborating parts, have been confirmed by archaeological discoveries.
So if those parts you decide, are not from God, then it is abundantly clear to me that the corroborating parts must not be from God either.

Hence it seems to me, anyone with that view has made the Bible null and void - not to believers, but to themselves, and those who listen to them.

I know God through the positive spiritual attributes of God taught in all the religions over the millennia, and not the ancient human cultural view of God that reflects the ancient world views and divides humans in tribal conflicts.
I'm not sure what you mean by, "all the religions over the millennia, and not the ancient human cultural view of God that reflects the ancient world views and divides humans in tribal conflicts".
So do you mean for example, these religions...
Hinduism
durga-inside_121717050548.jpg

Jainism
mahavir-jayanti-celebration-in-bhopal_db21be4e-333d-11e8-a509-12b0194ead35.jpg

Buddhism
GettyImages-502150225-597caaa80d327a0011704288.jpg

Taoism / Daoism
Vegetarian_festival_phuket.jpg