• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible verses religion.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Apparently one isn't supposed to interpret it. That leaves very few choices. Either one just sounds out the syllables like an extended mantra without making any effort to comprehend their meaning, or else I suppose scripture isn't actually meant for reading at all. Perhaps one is meant to bask in the sound that the pages make when you flip through them. But then why bother printing anything on them at all? Or perhaps the text on the page is arranged in just such a way that if you take your glasses off and view the ink blob it will coalesce into a series of inspiring shapes (for nearsighted seekers only). Or perhaps one is meant to eat the pages and gain wisdom thereby. In any case it would appear the application of any sort of heuristic is out, which means that reading as we understand it is out of the question.

I suppose I did forget one: There's always the option of keeping scripture around just to have something to point to as an appeal to authority while one says all sorts of incoherent things. One needn't even say things that are actually supported by the scripture in question; one just utters a bunch of stuff and then points to it, asserting that it's in there somewhere. Come to think of it, I've actually seen that method used on various occasions.
I like me a little ketchup on my bible...

Domenic

With Missouri hanging on the tail end of the bad news...I would not listen to anything anybody from there had to say. I do know this, "If the world needed an enema, that is where God would stick it."