• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Tells Me So

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
@Left Coast take care... and thanks for the thread.
I enjoyed beating the stuffings out of the argument. :p

Seriously though, I can't answer, or try to help you any more than I have. I am certain there is no answer that will satisfy you.
Those who can't identify the weeds from the wheat, are the ones in trouble.
Remember, the wicked man sowed the weeds with that purpose in mind... and evidently has succeeded with the masses.
The wheat sower says, "I know my sheep, and they listen to my voice."
They are okay. ...and that's very few.
Remember Noah? It was just him, and seven others. Eight souls started fresh.
God started with two.
Today, there will be a few million, but that's more than enough, to make a paradise, that's going to last forever.
Enjoy. :)

I think we can agree we disagree. :blush:
But I appreciated hearing your opinions nonetheless. Take care.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think we can agree we disagree. :blush:
But I appreciated hearing your opinions nonetheless. Take care.
I am not sure what you mean by opinions. i said a lot, and I don't think you want to go through and tell me what you call opinions.
However, I do want us to both leave this thread with a clear understanding of each other... at least I want to try. :)

So first, I want to let you know that I understand the argument you are making about persons being able to take the Bible,read it, and come away with several different views.
I completely understand the confusion you speak of, and even the contradictions that various ones will make to contradict everything I say, or someone else for that matter.
I understand that. It's a valid argument.

However, I want to be certain you have a clear understanding of what i am saying, and why there is an equally and reasonable explanation, as to why your argument is not a sound conclusion, not from the perspective of various opinions - it's not a matter of opinion - but from the Bible's view point.
Nothing I say, can change any contradicting claims. That's not what I am trying to do here. I'd be a madman to even think that.

If persons disagree with this viewpoint, it is not that it isn't what the Bible is saying, but rather people choosing to dismiss what the Bible says, and insisting on their own ideas. That is considered wicked, according to the prophets, Jesus and his apostles - hence according to God.
Anyone, including yourself, is free to demonstrate that this is not the Bible's viewpoint. Note... demonstrate, not claim.

Just so you understand it is not my opinion.
According to the Bible... (please see scriptures)

God chose to use a method that requires persons show if they are humble, willing to submit to him - that is, do things his way, and hungry enough for righteousness.

God used men he chose, and required persons listen to them and obey his instructions through them.
Moses
(Numbers 12:6-8) 6 [God] then said: “Hear my words, please. If there was a prophet of Jehovah among you, I would make myself known to him in a vision, and I would speak to him in a dream. 7 But it is not that way with my servant Moses! He is being entrusted with all my house. 8 Face-to-face I speak to him, openly, not by riddles; and the appearance of Jehovah is what he sees. Why, then, did you not fear to speak against my servant, against Moses?. . .

Joshua
(Deuteronomy 34:9, 10) 9 Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hand on him; and the Israelites began to listen to him, and they did just as Jehovah had commanded Moses. 10 But there has never again arisen a prophet in Israel like Moses, whom Jehovah knew face-to-face. (Deuteronomy 31:14, 15)

Prophets
(Acts 3:22-24) 22 In fact, Moses said: ‘Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to whatever he tells you. 23 Indeed, anyone who does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.’ 24 And all the prophets from Samuel and those who followed him, as many as have spoken, have also plainly declared these days. (2 Kings 17:13-15 ; Nehemiah 9:29-31 ; Jeremiah 7:25, 26 ; Jeremiah 25:4)

Jesus Christ
(John 8:47) The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why you do not listen, because you are not from God.”

....and his apostles
(1 John 4:6) We originate with God. Whoever comes to know God listens to us; whoever does not originate with God does not listen to us.. . .

The Christian congregation
(Hebrews 13:17) Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over you as those who will render an account, so that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to you.

God is the one who directs persons to his organization. He draw persons, or rejects them, based on their attitude, or qualities of the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7
Jehovah said to Samuel: “Do not pay attention to his appearance and how tall he is, for I have rejected him. For the way man sees is not the way God sees, because mere man sees what appears to the eyes, but Jehovah sees into the heart.”
The Etheopian - Acts 7
Saul - later named Paul - Acts 8
The Roman Army Officer - Cornelius - Acts 10
Hence, because God is actively involved, the meek of the earth find God amidst the confusion, created not by God, but God's enemy.
(Haggai 2:7) “‘And I will shake all the nations, and the precious things of all the nations will come in; and I will fill this house with glory,’ says Jehovah of armies. Revelation 12:9

Can you please say in your own words, what you understand me to be saying. Please.
Then, can you please explain... why do you think God's way is not right, and why do you think God should do things your way, or the way you may think?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not sure what you mean by opinions. i said a lot, and I don't think you want to go through and tell me what you call opinions.
However, I do want us to both leave this thread with a clear understanding of each other... at least I want to try. :)

So first, I want to let you know that I understand the argument you are making about persons being able to take the Bible,read it, and come away with several different views.
I completely understand the confusion you speak of, and even the contradictions that various ones will make to contradict everything I say, or someone else for that matter.
I understand that. It's a valid argument.

Mkay. We're off to a promising....start? Although I though the conversation was over...:shrug:

However, I want to be certain you have a clear understanding of what i am saying, and why there is an equally and reasonable explanation, as to why your argument is not a sound conclusion, not from the perspective of various opinions - it's not a matter of opinion - but from the Bible's view point.

This is a strange thing to say for a couple of reasons. First, if I have a valid argument, then the conclusion of that argument, by definition, necessarily follows from it. Perhaps you mean "valid" in a more colloquial sense?

Secondly, the Bible doesn't have a single view point from my perspective. The Bible is a collection of many viewpoints, written and edited by many different people. So whatever single thread or message you believe to run through the entire thing, is your opinion. It may be an opinion you share with lots of people, but it's an opinion nonetheless. It's not some indisputable fact.

Nothing I say, can change any contradicting claims. That's not what I am trying to do here. I'd be a madman to even think that.

I feel the same way.

If persons disagree with this viewpoint, it is not that it isn't what the Bible is saying, but rather people choosing to dismiss what the Bible says, and insisting on their own ideas.

Incorrect.

What is happening here is that you are enshrining your own views as sacrosanct and dismissing everyone else's views as "insisting on their own ideas." The thing is, you and your organization are "insisting on your own ideas" just as much as the next guy. Every church and Christian group on planet Earth believes "the BIble's view" just so happens to be, what do you know, their view! So as they see it, they're really not expressing their view, they're expressing "the Bible's view." And yet, they cannot come to agreement on what "the Bible's view" is on a slough of central theological and ethical questions. This, once again, indicates that if there is a God like the one imagined in Christianity behind the creation of the Bible, it's a terribly poor method for communicating his ideas to humanity clearly.

Just so you understand it is not my opinion.
According to the Bible... (please see scriptures)

God chose to use a method that requires persons show if they are humble, willing to submit to him - that is, do things his way, and hungry enough for righteousness.

God used men he chose, and required persons listen to them and obey his instructions through them.

We've gone over this, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up again. The requirement for humility and "doing things God's way" does not solve the conundrum central to the thread. All Christian churches/groups believe they are the humble followers of "God's way" and inheritors of the apostles' teaching whom Christians are obligated to obey, based on their reading of the Bible. Yet this has still resulted in the mass confusion and division we see today in Christianity.

God is the one who directs persons to his organization. He draw persons, or rejects them, based on their attitude, or qualities of the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7
Jehovah said to Samuel: “Do not pay attention to his appearance and how tall he is, for I have rejected him. For the way man sees is not the way God sees, because mere man sees what appears to the eyes, but Jehovah sees into the heart.”
The Etheopian - Acts 7
Saul - later named Paul - Acts 8
The Roman Army Officer - Cornelius - Acts 10
Hence, because God is actively involved, the meek of the earth find God amidst the confusion, created not by God, but God's enemy.
(Haggai 2:7) “‘And I will shake all the nations, and the precious things of all the nations will come in; and I will fill this house with glory,’ says Jehovah of armies. Revelation 12:9

This is an interesting principle to bring up, because other passages in the Bible repeatedly say that God's drawing or choosing of people is not predicated on anything they do.

Romans 9:10-18
Nor is that all; something similar happened to Rebecca when she had conceived children by one husband, our ancestor Isaac. Even before they had been born or had done anything good or bad (so that God’s purpose of election might continue, not by works but by his call) she was told, “The elder shall serve the younger.” As it is written,

“I have loved Jacob,
but I have hated Esau.”

What then are we to say? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

So it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who shows mercy. For the scripture says to Pharaoh, “I have raised you up for the very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he chooses, and he hardens the heart of whomever he chooses.

John 15:16
You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name.

Acts 13:48
When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and praised the word of the Lord; and as many as had been destined for eternal life became believers.

Ephesians 2:4-10
But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.

And I could go on.

As you may know, this very conflict - between passages that seem to suggest that God rewards those who do right, who are humble, whose hearts are open to him, etc. and passages that seem to suggests that God foreordained salvation to certain individuals based on his own purposes, having nothing to do with our deeds or the state of our hearts and that those changes are simply the product of his predetermined will - has produced a whole array of contradictory opinions among Christians about how salvation actually works, what the criteria are, whether we have free will, whether election is conditional or unconditional, and so on.

So yet again, this beautifully illustrates the central problem: the "Bible's view" is actually not nearly as clear as those who believe there is one "Biblical view" think it is. Which has resulted in the mass disagreement we see and different groups all claiming to teach "the Bible's view" while significantly disagreeing with each other on countless points.

Can you please say in your own words, what you understand me to be saying. Please.

I think you are saying that the disagreements among Christians are not the fault of the Bible, because some people want to follow "their own way" rather than "the Bible's way." And that "the Bible's view" is not your opinion. And that determining "the Bible's view" requires us to be humble and listen to and obey "God's organization" (which of course, you just so happen to believe is the organization you're part of, the Jehovah's Witnesses).

I hope by now it's clear why I don't think those opinions of yours solve the central problem I've outlined. I recognize that you disagree. And we'll probably just have to leave it at agreeing to disagree, as I thought we had just done. :shrug:

Then, can you please explain... why do you think God's way is not right, and why do you think God should do things your way, or the way you may think?

As I've explained, I don't agree with you about what you think "God's way" is. It's your opinion that the Bible reflects "God's way," and it's your opinion that you/the JWs accurately understand the Bible.

And as I've also explained several times now, I think if anything resembling the Christian God is behind the Bible, he made a poor choice to use the Bible to communicate his message(s) to humanity, as evidenced by the mass disagreement we see among Bible believers about what the Bible says. An omnipotent deity could instantly clear up the mass confusion, yet he hasn't. So he has chosen, presuming he exists and has the qualities typically attributed to him, to persist in using a poor method of communication.

Is my view still unclear? If it isn't, but you simply disagree with my view for the reasons you've already expressed, I'm not sure what else we have to discuss here.

Reactions: ppp

nPeace

Veteran Member
Mkay. We're off to a promising....start? Although I though the conversation was over...:shrug:

This is a strange thing to say for a couple of reasons. First, if I have a valid argument, then the conclusion of that argument, by definition, necessarily follows from it. Perhaps you mean "valid" in a more colloquial sense?

Secondly, the Bible doesn't have a single view point from my perspective. The Bible is a collection of many viewpoints, written and edited by many different people. So whatever single thread or message you believe to run through the entire thing, is your opinion. It may be an opinion you share with lots of people, but it's an opinion nonetheless. It's not some indisputable fact.

I feel the same way.

Incorrect.

What is happening here is that you are enshrining your own views as sacrosanct and dismissing everyone else's views as "insisting on their own ideas." The thing is, you and your organization are "insisting on your own ideas" just as much as the next guy. Every church and Christian group on planet Earth believes "the BIble's view" just so happens to be, what do you know, their view! So as they see it, they're really not expressing their view, they're expressing "the Bible's view." And yet, they cannot come to agreement on what "the Bible's view" is on a slough of central theological and ethical questions. This, once again, indicates that if there is a God like the one imagined in Christianity behind the creation of the Bible, it's a terribly poor method for communicating his ideas to humanity clearly.

We've gone over this, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up again. The requirement for humility and "doing things God's way" does not solve the conundrum central to the thread. All Christian churches/groups believe they are the humble followers of "God's way" and inheritors of the apostles' teaching whom Christians are obligated to obey, based on their reading of the Bible. Yet this has still resulted in the mass confusion and division we see today in Christianity.

This is an interesting principle to bring up, because other passages in the Bible repeatedly say that God's drawing or choosing of people is not predicated on anything they do.

Romans 9:10-18
Nor is that all; something similar happened to Rebecca when she had conceived children by one husband, our ancestor Isaac. Even before they had been born or had done anything good or bad (so that God’s purpose of election might continue, not by works but by his call) she was told, “The elder shall serve the younger.” As it is written,

“I have loved Jacob,
but I have hated Esau.”

What then are we to say? Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

So it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who shows mercy. For the scripture says to Pharaoh, “I have raised you up for the very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name may be proclaimed in all the earth.” So then he has mercy on whomever he chooses, and he hardens the heart of whomever he chooses.

John 15:16
You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name.

Acts 13:48
When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and praised the word of the Lord; and as many as had been destined for eternal life became believers.

Ephesians 2:4-10
But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God— not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.

And I could go on.

As you may know, this very conflict - between passages that seem to suggest that God rewards those who do right, who are humble, whose hearts are open to him, etc. and passages that seem to suggests that God foreordained salvation to certain individuals based on his own purposes, having nothing to do with our deeds or the state of our hearts and that those changes are simply the product of his predetermined will - has produced a whole array of contradictory opinions among Christians about how salvation actually works, what the criteria are, whether we have free will, whether election is conditional or unconditional, and so on.

So yet again, this beautifully illustrates the central problem: the "Bible's view" is actually not nearly as clear as those who believe there is one "Biblical view" think it is. Which has resulted in the mass disagreement we see and different groups all claiming to teach "the Bible's view" while significantly disagreeing with each other on countless points.

I think you are saying that the disagreements among Christians are not the fault of the Bible, because some people want to follow "their own way" rather than "the Bible's way." And that "the Bible's view" is not your opinion. And that determining "the Bible's view" requires us to be humble and listen to and obey "God's organization" (which of course, you just so happen to believe is the organization you're part of, the Jehovah's Witnesses).

I hope by now it's clear why I don't think those opinions of yours solve the central problem I've outlined. I recognize that you disagree. And we'll probably just have to leave it at agreeing to disagree, as I thought we had just done. :shrug:

As I've explained, I don't agree with you about what you think "God's way" is. It's your opinion that the Bible reflects "God's way," and it's your opinion that you/the JWs accurately understand the Bible.

And as I've also explained several times now, I think if anything resembling the Christian God is behind the Bible, he made a poor choice to use the Bible to communicate his message(s) to humanity, as evidenced by the mass disagreement we see among Bible believers about what the Bible says. An omnipotent deity could instantly clear up the mass confusion, yet he hasn't. So he has chosen, presuming he exists and has the qualities typically attributed to him, to persist in using a poor method of communication.

Is my view still unclear? If it isn't, but you simply disagree with my view for the reasons you've already expressed, I'm not sure what else we have to discuss here.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
My. I see my book writing "habit" has rub off on you. :D

Two things you did here, shows that your argument will stand regardless of any responses... Not that it is a sound conclusion.
By valid argument, I mean it has a basis. Sorry, I might have used the wrong expression. Probably, I should have said, reasonable, understandable...
For example...
I think it is reasonable to question God, and I would use the word valid... like it's a valid question. Perhaps I am misusing the term then. Sorry.

The two things you did though, was 1) start with a conclusion - the Bible is not a collection of books by one author, with one harmonious message. 2) Conclude that the way you viewed certain texts you quoted, is correct.
That would lead back to your argument in the OP though, so we would be doing circles. ;)

So, that would make it impossible to see anything any differently... unless, you were willing to consider that your conclusions may not be right.
I don't know if you are. Are you?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
My. I see my book writing "habit" has rub off on you. :D

Two things you did here, shows that your argument will stand regardless of any responses... Not that it is a sound conclusion.
By valid argument, I mean it has a basis. Sorry, I might have used the wrong expression. Probably, I should have said, reasonable, understandable...
For example...
I think it is reasonable to question God, and I would use the word valid... like it's a valid question. Perhaps I am misusing the term then. Sorry.

No problem, I suspected that might be the case. Validity in logic has a specific technical meaning. Never mind, it's not important.

The two things you did though, was 1) start with a conclusion - the Bible is not a collection of books by one author, with one harmonious message. 2) Conclude that the way you viewed certain texts you quoted, is correct.
That would lead back to your argument in the OP though, so we would be doing circles. ;)

So, that would make it impossible to see anything any differently... unless, you were willing to consider that your conclusions may not be right.
I don't know if you are. Are you?

The fact that the Bible was written by more than one person is really not seriously disputable. I dont think even The Watchtower disputes that. You may think those many people shared a common message, or that one person (God) was behind all those many human authors and whispering in their ears or what not. And you're entitled to that opinion. And you may be right in that opinion, and I'm perfectly willing to evaluate evidence you think you have to support that opinion. I suspect though, that such a demonstration would have to be quite extensive, given the Bible's complexity. Perhaps that would make a good thread of its own at this point?

nPeace

Veteran Member
No problem, I suspected that might be the case. Validity in logic has a specific technical meaning. Never mind, it's not important.

The fact that the Bible was written by more than one person is really not seriously disputable. I dont think even The Watchtower disputes that. You may think those many people shared a common message, or that one person (God) was behind all those many human authors and whispering in their ears or what not. And you're entitled to that opinion. And you may be right in that opinion, and I'm perfectly willing to evaluate evidence you think you have to support that opinion. I suspect though, that such a demonstration would have to be quite extensive, given the Bible's complexity. Perhaps that would make a good thread of its own at this point?
You are thinking as I was.
Any time you are interested, let me know. I have a thread just suited for that.
I'll leave you in peace now. :)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
You are thinking as I was.
Any time you are interested, let me know. I have a thread just suited for that.
I'll leave you in peace now. :)

I'm perennially interested, though I can't always promise an in-depth dialogue due to other life commitments. But would be fascinated to review the evidence any time you want to post it, as I'm sure other members would as well.

I've extended the same invitation to @Trailblazer regarding the evidence for Baha'i/Baha'u'llah.

Take care.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I've extended the same invitation to @Trailblazer regarding the evidence for Baha'i/Baha'u'llah.
And I have not forgotten. I have just been buried daily under piles of posts, as well as piles of cats...
It seems to be slowing down now, but every time I say that, here come more posts. :eek:
Plus I need to post it when I know I will have time to respond to the posts it could generate.

P.S. Evidence for Baha'u'llah would also be evidence for the Bible. ;)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
And I have not forgotten. I have just been buried daily under piles of posts, as well as piles of cats...
It seems to be slowing down now, but every time I say that, here come more posts. :eek:
Plus I need to post it when I know I will have time to respond to the posts it could generate.

P.S. Evidence for Baha'u'llah would also be evidence for the Bible. ;)

"as well as piles of cats..." :tearsofjoy:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"as well as piles of cats..." :tearsofjoy:
Yes, the piles of cats are a joy, and as long as they are all eating I am in the seventh heaven.... :)

In my Avatar is the new cat we got last Sunday, her name is Busia... There is a long story that goes with how we got her and I was going to post that story, since I already wrote it and posted it on my forum to a friend and fellow cat lover, but I am still trying to catch up on the posts I have to answer. :eek:

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm perennially interested, though I can't always promise an in-depth dialogue due to other life commitments. But would be fascinated to review the evidence any time you want to post it, as I'm sure other members would as well.

Take care.
Okay. The thread has quite a few posts, so just give me some time, so I can make a post, and save you having to did through pages.
I'll 'ping' you when it's ready.