• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible stories and God. Do you accept both as truth or only parts

InChrist

Free4ever
If you believe in the god of the bible, do you also accept the bible as non-fiction?

If you believe the(or some) bible stories are fiction, why do you believe in the god from the bible?

When believers pick and chose from the bible on what they believe or deny, isn't that them in a sense making their own belief?

For example...if you deny the bible story's of Noah, deny Adam and Eve made from the dust, etc....
Then why do you believe the story of a god at all?
I believe the entire Bible and consider the scriptures to be God’s Word, including all the stories, which I believe are accurate accounts.

The entirety of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever.
Psalm 119:160

Brian2

Veteran Member
If you believe in the god of the bible, do you also accept the bible as non-fiction?

If you believe the(or some) bible stories are fiction, why do you believe in the god from the bible?

When believers pick and chose from the bible on what they believe or deny, isn't that them in a sense making their own belief?

For example...if you deny the bible story's of Noah, deny Adam and Eve made from the dust, etc....

Yes I find it hard to see the reasoning with the liberal Christians, but also I understand all the opposition to the truth of the Bible and am amazed and give credit to those who can pick and choose what they believe in the Bible and still keep their faith in Jesus seemingly intact. (and I should be praising God for doing that) And of course I realise that in the eyes of a complete literalist I must seem pretty iffy and compromising and off track also.

firedragon

Veteran Member

By saying "God of the Bible" I presume you mean the God concept as depicted in the Bible. Or do you have another definition to your phrase?

Presuming that, lets say a Jewish person who believes in the Tanakh believes every single word is Gods word and takes everything literally or/and actual occurrences in the past etc, he does of course believe in this God of the Bible.

A Christian who still believes in the Tanakh and of course the NT may since recent times believe that everything is not literal, some are allegorical, they are not direct word of God but still is the word of God because God inspired people to write them down, they still believe in this God of the Bible.

If another theology comes and says that they believe parts of the Bible, and reject other parts of it, but as a whole they believe in the God of the Bible, they still do believe in this "God of the Bible".

There could be others who dont believe Noahs story actually never happened. Hypothetically, even if they did, they can reject that part because their methodology is absolute rationality but they may have another rational reasoning to believe in the God of the Bible.

I get it that people should not be hypocritical and arbitrarily cherry pick, but their reasoning and methodology should be asked for and assessed. So just because one group may reject Noahs story, or even lets say the whole of Genesis, they can still be believes of the God of the Bible.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Of course, smart people can resolve some contradictions. But that requires, as you say, mental gymnastics, i.e. applying some interpretation to the text. So they do not believe the bible to be literally true.

If they can be resolved then it could be argued that they were not really contradictions to begin with, just places that looked like they were contradictions.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Well, to play devil's advocate for a second here (pun intended :p)...

Each claim falls and stands on its own merits.
The entire book doesn't have to be true for some parts to be true.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Well, to play devil's advocate for a second here (pun intended :p)...

Each claim falls and stands on its own merits.
The entire book doesn't have to be true for some parts to be true.

And the merits seem to be a matter of opinion rather than objectively determined.

Heyo

Veteran Member
If they can be resolved then it could be argued that they were not really contradictions to begin with, just places that looked like they were contradictions.
Note that I mentioned that the resolve needs interpretation. We were talking about literal truth, so either resolve or literal. And some of the resolves need to be interpreted to mean the exact opposite of the literal text.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Note that I mentioned that the resolve needs interpretation. We were talking about literal truth, so either resolve or literal. And some of the resolves need to be interpreted to mean the exact opposite of the literal text.

Do you have examples of that?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
For me personally, it was not the Bible that did Christianity in.
It was the Christians.
Shame to throw the baby out with the bath water though....why blame God for what weak wishy-washy humans do?

I spoke to a woman once who said that someone had so offended her at her church that she never went again.....so I asked her what she would think of someone who had another person step on their foot so hard it broke a bone and then because it hurt so much, they went out and committed suicide over it.....same thing IMO...

Colt

The problem with the Bible is that some of it is true.

pearl

There is another option, that of appreciating the Bible as a literary masterpiece, as any other work of literature. There is no other way to uncover the intent of its human authors within their time and culture. It requires serious study of the many literary forms used.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do not believe the Bible is perfect, thus I try to go in the direction of what seems logical and aligned with Truth and Love, and I do believe that God's Spirit in some way was behind this based on some experiences I've had.

Colt

And the problem with the Urantia Book is that it's cult claptrap.

Now that we've gotten all that out of the way, how about them Cubs no-hitting the Dodgers!
I can understand why you are defensive. I've never believed the vastly exaggerated history of the Israelites in their Torah. While Abraham was a chosen individual, the nationalist ego that developed among his descendants lead to the disastrous delusion of the "chosen people" doctrine. It lead to the deaths of prophets of truth and eventually the nation of Israel.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
So do you still believe the bible but doubt christians?
What is it you mean by "Believe the Bible"?

Do I believe the Bible is the "Word of God"?
No

Do I believe the Bible is infallible?
No

Do I believe the Bible is anything more than a prejudicially assembled collection of the beliefs of ancient man?
No

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Shame to throw the baby out with the bath water though....why blame God for what weak wishy-washy humans do?

I spoke to a woman once who said that someone had so offended her at her church that she never went again.....so I asked her what she would think of someone who had another person step on their foot so hard it broke a bone and then because it hurt so much, they went out and committed suicide over it.....same thing IMO...
Who says I blame god?
I mean other than you?

I clearly stated it was the Christians, not god, as the reason I left.
How you mixed up the two is beyond me.