• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible on women in a church

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
I am curious to know what the general Christian population thinks of this passage in the New Testament that says:

"women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says."
- 1 Corinthians 14:34

Do you think women should never speak in Church? If not, why go against what was commanded ?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It was talking about a single congregation where women were chattering. it was never about teaching. Nor has it ever been a Christian "Law"
Corinthians is the only place in the New Testament that says any thing at all about such things.
Many churches now rcognise that and have woment priests. about 45% of priests in the CofE are now women.

freethinker44

It was talking about a single congregation where women were chattering. it was never about teaching. Nor has it ever been a Christian "Law"
Corinthians is the only place in the New Testament that says any thing at all about such things.
Many churches now rcognise that and have woment priests. about 45% of priests in the CofE are now women.

It's also in 1 Timothy and it does say women can't teach.

1 Timothy 2
11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I am curious to know what the general Christian population thinks of this passage in the New Testament that says:

"women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says."

Do you think women should never speak in Church? If not, why go against what was commanded ?

Paul explained what it means in a letter to Timothy where he said it would be improper for a woman to assume the role of teacher: “I do not permit a woman to teach, or to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence.”—1 Timothy 2:12.

So in 1Cor 14:34, it is about a womans role in the congregation... it is not to be a role of authority because the teaching and leading is assigned, by God, to men. Women are not to assume the role of a man in the congregation.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

Women can be choir directors, readers, cantors, parish council members, treasurers, etc, etc... Just, not priests, subdeacons, deacons or bishops.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Conversely, are there any roles that men can't perform?
I'm not sure, but there definitely seem to be some areas that the women can often shame the men at; living the faith simply and devoutly is generally one of them. Most of the time, it seems to me that it's the women rather than the men who run Sunday school. A lot of the time, it's the elderly women who show up without fail every Sunday morning and keep their minds on God, being gentle sources of inspiration and guidance, not to mention absolutely perfect role models for us younger folks. :D In times of persecution (most recently during the era of the Soviet Union), it was the older women who kept the Faith going in many places.

I'm not sure if there any roles that women perform that men can't (if I find any I'll get back to you), but there are definitely roles that women perform BETTER than men, and more commonly.

Alceste

Vagabond
Liberal Christians don't bother with anything Paul wrote. He was kind of a jerk, and his message often conflicts with that of Jesus.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Women can be choir directors, readers, cantors, parish council members, treasurers, etc, etc... Just, not priests, subdeacons, deacons or bishops.

Tis is not what Paul said.

He didnt say IN CHURCH they shouldnt have authority over men, he said THEY SHOULDNT HAVE AUTHORITY OVER MEN. The "in church" or the "in matters of spirituality) bit is being assumed arbitrarily.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Tis is not what Paul said.

He didnt say IN CHURCH they shouldnt have authority over men, he said THEY SHOULDNT HAVE AUTHORITY OVER MEN. The "in church" or the "in matters of spirituality) bit is being assumed arbitrarily.

actually, in 1corinthians he did say 'in church'... and he also said some others (including men) should remain 'silent' in church too

In 1 Corinthians chapter 14, Paul discussed matters relating to meetings of the Christian congregation. He described what should be discussed at such meetings and recommended how they should be conducted. (1 Corinthians 14:1-6, 26-34)
He mentions the need to “keep silent” three times and each time, it is addressed to a different group in the congregation. Pauls says the reason to keep silent is sot that “all things take place decently and by arrangement.”—1 Corinthians 14:40.

In Vs 27-28 he addresss men who wish to speak in tongues: “If someone speaks in a tongue, let it be limited to two or three at the most, and in turns; and let someone translate. But if there be no translator, let him keep silent in the congregation and speak to himself and to God.” Obvisously he didnt mean that such men could never speak at meetings.
Next he addresses men who speak prophecies : “Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others discern the meaning. But if there is a revelation to another one while sitting there, let the first one keep silent.” In telling the first prophet to refrain from speaking, it surely didnt mean he had to be silent at all times.
Next in vs 34, he addresses women only, stating: “Let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them be in subjection.” (1 Corinthians 14:34)

so this is most certainly speaking about how meetings are to be conducted and organized. He's not singling out women.

Treks

Are there any Christian denominations nowadays that don't allow women to speak whilst in church?

I heard from someone a long time ago that this particular passage by Paul was addressing a congregation where the women had a tendency to call out disruptively and this is why they were told to be silent in the church. But I dunno.

Treks

I'm not sure, but there definitely seem to be some areas that the women can often shame the men at; living the faith simply and devoutly is generally one of them. Most of the time, it seems to me that it's the women rather than the men who run Sunday school. A lot of the time, it's the elderly women who show up without fail every Sunday morning and keep their minds on God, being gentle sources of inspiration and guidance, not to mention absolutely perfect role models for us younger folks. :D In times of persecution (most recently during the era of the Soviet Union), it was the older women who kept the Faith going in many places.

I'm not sure if there any roles that women perform that men can't (if I find any I'll get back to you), but there are definitely roles that women perform BETTER than men, and more commonly.

Thank you. :)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Are there any Christian denominations nowadays that don't allow women to speak whilst in church?

I heard from someone a long time ago that this particular passage by Paul was addressing a congregation where the women had a tendency to call out disruptively and this is why they were told to be silent in the church. But I dunno.

yes thats the likely scenario he is speaking about.

sisters in our congregations can contribute to biblical discussions with their own comments....but there is always a brother who is conducting the discussion. So we dont have sisters conducting the congregation in scriptural discussions, but they can contribute. Obviously we dont view Pauls comments to mean that women cannot speak in the congregation.... they certainly can and do. But leading the congregation in teaching is for the men to do and we respect and support that arrangement.

Treks

Thank you Pegg. But doesn't the next part of the passage in question, after 'women should be in subjection' say they should ask their questions to their husbands once they get home? If so, is that suggesting they shouldn't ask any questions at all while in the church?