• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Is True...

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
23 jun 2018 stvdv 012 27

Very good post. Most people forget the "universal coherent message" and are blinded by "egoistic incoherent details".
Maybe call it "worldly coherent message" though. I know we still like earth [read us/me] to be the centre of the universe
But humans came already from that "high horse" some centuries ago [still "high horses" left; old habits die hard]

Lucky for us "not too smart humans" Bible makes it not too cryptic:
First and highest Commandment
Second Commandment equal to First [to make it even more simple for us "not too smart humans"]
I said nothing about a universal message. You added universal

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not exactly saying all believers will think exactly as I do. Just saying that all believers will be often like-minded because we all know and love Jesus and His word.:heart:
Knowing the Love of God, and what we think about what is in the Bible, are two entirely different things. If you are using how someone believes certain views of the Bible as the litmus test of knowing that Love, you are not seeing through the eyes of Love.

Do you accept other Christians who see the Bible as a very limited human product of ancient cultures, who outright disagree with those who view it as a supernatural perfection? If not, then I'd examine that. That shouldn't happen.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Twisted arguments are what arise when the plain text is ignored.

This remains ambiguous, because of the various conflicting interpretations of the Bible.. Are you saying a literal interpretation is the understanding of the plain text? Would you consider our universe less than 10,000 years old? If this is the case you are faced with many valid arguments against what you would call 'plain text.;

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
This remains ambiguous, because of the various conflicting interpretations of the Bible.. Are you saying a literal interpretation is the understanding of the plain text? Would you consider our universe less than 10,000 years old? If this is the case you are faced with many valid arguments against what you would call 'plain text.;
I would consider that the bible says the creation story began less than 10,000 biblical years ago

David T

Premium Member
Ok, I'm going to play Prine. Say what you mean please
The old testament Joseph narrative has not a single bit of magic just dreams. Joseph has a dream wakes up and screws up how he delivers it everyone bumps into the furniture including Joseph as he is prisoner to the story yet at the end he turns to look and realizes the dream has come true. There is a deeper narrative at play throughout everything in spite of ourselves That's not completely clear to us. Especially when we think it is. Mother nature is always working even on science. Occasionally a scientist actually gets that. Richard feynman actually got that. He was not just a craftsman level scientist. Questions are interesting.. answers so what.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I would consider that the bible says the creation story began less than 10,000 biblical years ago

I agree that is what the Bible literally states, but I also believe that this view has lost relevance, like much of the Pentateuch is no longer relevant in a literal form in the contemporary world. One has to rely on a rather contorted dishonest justification to make the impossible meaningful today.

raw_thought

Why do contradictions make it invalid to you?
Because the definition of invalid means contradiction. Here is a true but invalid argument. 1 Nixon was president. 2. Kennedy was president. 3. Therefore, Obama was president. Here is a valid but untrue argument. 1. All Martians eat snakes. 2. Bob is a Martian. 3. Therefore Bob eats snakes. Any argument that contradicts itself must be false. If I say " A " and "not A " I lied at least once. Either "A" is a lie, or "not A" is a lie. The Bible says "A" and "not A " thousands of times!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
23 jun 2018 stvdv 012 28
Ok, now that I trolled ur attention...Is the bible true but the names, places and events have been changed to protect the guilty/innocent.
What I mean is that once all the veneer and the strange twisted arguments and reasoning are stripped away is there a universal coherent message in the bible?

Very good post. Most people forget the "universal coherent message" and are blinded by "egoistic incoherent details".
Maybe call it "worldly coherent message" though. I know we still like earth [read us/me] to be the centre of the universe
But humans came already from that "high horse" some centuries ago [still "high horses" left; old habits die hard]

Lucky for us "not too smart humans" Bible makes it not too cryptic:
First and highest Commandment
Second Commandment equal to First [to make it even more simple for us "not too smart humans"]

I said nothing about a universal message. You added universal

Unless the first "sandy whitelinger" is different from the second which seems unlikely because both have member=2067, you did say "universal". Not my fantasy. You might have been blessed by a temporary "no mind" state.

Last edited:

Seven headed beast

Awaited One
You're certainly correct, except that you don't understand that there is no message of good hope in the Bible.

The Bible is a recurring prophecy that comes to pass at the end of every Age. It's as dark as read as there ever was. It's nothing more than an eschatological prophecy from beginning to end.

Then, you need to consider that the Bible is written so that only those that need to understand it get it. There has never been a valid translation of the ancient texts until recently. The book is written in hermetic script. You must have information to put in to it in order to get a valid understanding out of it.

You're correct in you assumptions that the names have been changed. That's because it's come to pass three previous times on this earth, and we are the fifth "earth". It will also remain a valid text on the next earth and the one after that and the one after that.

So, I hope this helps you find understanding.

Slorri

Tell Pontius that a statement is true when it conforms / corresponds with / accurately reflects reality.

Of course only if the statement is understood.

It can be a matter of belief. The believer think that the bible is true, and interpret it as if it is true. Naturally twisting the words to suit their belief.
The skeptic might think the bible is not true. Not from their own rational interpretation of the bible, but from their observation that the believers version does not add up.

Many skeptically minded persons believe in the big bang theory, even though it is hopelessly absurd. By twisting the facts they can make the theory fit observed reality.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"A universal coherent message"? With 60 some different authors, most all Jewish?

Reminds me of the famous joke: Gather 25 Jewish people together to discuss anything, you'll get 26 contradictory opinions.
I think you just cracked the Bible Code.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course only if the statement is understood.
In practical terms, yes. But the 'correspondence' definition of truth sets an objective standard for what's true; in the event of disagreement, we consult reality.
It can be a matter of belief. The believer think that the bible is true, and interpret it as if it is true. Naturally twisting the words to suit their belief.
Christian fundamentalists insist the bible is inerrant. Since the bible can effortlessly be shown to be full of scientific and historical errors, such fundamentalism, it follows, defines truth as 'Whatever I say it is'.
The skeptic might think the bible is not true. Not from their own rational interpretation of the bible, but from their observation that the believers version does not add up.
Parts of the bible may report historical events with reasonable accuracy, some parts are unconfirmed and probably unconfirmable, and many parts are manifestly folktale and folk history. As with any other ancient document, the parts that have independent confirmation are credible and the rest are at best less so.
Many skeptically minded persons believe in the big bang theory, even though it is hopelessly absurd. By twisting the facts they can make the theory fit observed reality.
Interesting observation. What's the clearest example you have of a hopelessly absurd claim made by the Big Bang theory?

Awab Navi

Ok, now that I trolled ur attention...Is the bible true but the names, places and events have been changed to protect the guilty/innocent.

What I mean is that once all the veneer and the strange twisted arguments and reasoning are stripped away is there a universal coherent message in the bible?
BIBLE FORGERY --- Forgeries in the Bible's New Testament? --- Half of New Testament forged, Bible scholar says --- http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_bibl.htm

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
23 jun 2018 stvdv 012 28

Unless the first "sandy whitelinger" is different from the second which is impossible because member=2067, you did say "universal". Not my fantasy.
My bad. I really should proofread more, and there are probably more than two of me ;).

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Youtube Bart Ehrman..
He has a lot of good lectures on the bible. His debates with fundamentalists are also interesting.

First you need to...
  • cut out miracles or stories that are physically impossible
    • 6 day creation
    • Talking snake
    • Forming an adult man from clay and woman from a rib
    • Noah's ark
    • etc...
  • Cut out nonsense
    • Death came to Earth at the fall.
    • Samson
    • Genocide of enemies in Gods name
    • etc...
  • Cut out nonhistorical events
    • The Exodus
  • cut out prophecy of future events, because its impossible to see, unless its happened before and our reality is somewhere in it. That would trash free will. Else future events can only be calculated and the present guided to a predestined event. Fullfilled prophecies the bible was written after the fact.
    • Revelations
    • Daniel's foretelling
    • Jesus foretelling
    • Paul's foretelling
    • etc...
  • cut out geneologies because they are historically inacurate.
So then that leaves you with Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Sermon on the mount, etc...
Implying wisdom, good living with your neighbor, morality.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
24 jun 2018 stvdv 012 45
My bad. I really should proofread more, and there are probably more than two of me ;).

For sure you are not alone here in this. If you know how many times I re-edit my post:oops:. And I found out it need to be done within 24h. After that it stands solid on the internet for eternity or a new Big Bang or D.T pressing his "red button".

I see I have just some time left to edit this post where I corrected you, take out the colors and big letters. No need anymore now;)

Probably you were blessed by a temporary "no mind" state. After writing this I see that your religion shows "Narrow-minded Biblist". First time I see this as religion, but seems to me that it might be a bit connected with "no mind state". So it all makes some sense after all.

Last edited: