• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Is True...

AdrianCo

All scripture is given by the inspiration of God! It is not surprising then, that a book 1000s of year old is totally relevant is today's world

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I did not convert to a religion. I was changed by a Personal Savior. Huge difference.
I'm not sure how you can say that, actually. The reason I say that is because you have adopted a view from a particular flavor of the Christian religion in your view there is a single theme woven in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and so forth.

If you were changed outside of the religion's views, say for instance an experience of God before you encountered any teachings about the Bible at all, you wouldn't be following religion's teachings like these. Your experience of God would exist independently from this. So why do you espouse these teachings of American evangelicals if you are not converted to the religion's thinking? If you are, then you are converted to a religion.

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm not sure how you can say that, actually. The reason I say that is because you have adopted a view from a particular flavor of the Christian religion in your view there is a single theme woven in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and so forth.

If you were changed outside of the religion's views, say for instance an experience of God before you encountered any teachings about the Bible at all, you wouldn't be following religion's teachings like these. Your experience of God would exist independently from this. So why do you espouse these teachings of American evangelicals if you are not converted to the religion's thinking? If you are, then you are converted to a religion.
My experience of Jesus involves Him directly and personally. My views are derived from His Word. If this coincides with some other believers who you call American evangelicals then it means others have also experienced Jesus personally. Although some who call themselves Christians may only practice an outward form of the "Christianity" , this does not necessarily mean all believers have or practice a religion.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Too many to list...all the scriptures concerning sacrifice, shedding of blood for sin atonement, and prophecies pointing to a promised Messiah.
Really?

Where does the Tanakh propose any link between a blood sacrifice and a messiah?

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My experience of Jesus involves Him directly and personally. My views are derived from His Word. If this coincides with some other believers who you call American evangelicals then it means others have also experienced Jesus personally. Although some who call themselves Christians may only practice an outward form of the "Christianity" , this does not necessarily mean all believers have or practice a religion.
Are you saying that they believe as you do because they have experienced Jesus as you? That all true believers will think as you? Are you sure you want to be saying this?

If this is so, then do you believe everything else they do, and they you?

InChrist

Free4ever
Are you saying that they believe as you do because they have experienced Jesus as you? That all true believers will think as you? Are you sure you want to be saying this?
I'm not exactly saying all believers will think exactly as I do. Just saying that all believers will be often like-minded because we all know and love Jesus and His word.:heart:

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
The basic message of the Bible is quite clear. As Jesus said:

"And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. "

Luke 10:27

Everything else is an elaboration of that.

Ok, now that I trolled ur attention...Is the bible true but the names, places and events have been changed to protect the guilty/innocent.

What I mean is that once all the veneer and the strange twisted arguments and reasoning are stripped away is there a universal coherent message in the bible?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
First comes the Pentateuch which is considered a single volume: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. Its nearly impenetrable, so many people look for shortcuts and strategies to avoid thoroughly absorbing it. The genealogies are particularly annoying, and almost nobody reads through the sacrifices in English. Sacrifices seem repetitive, and we have so many other things to think about. We have many unanswered questions like "What is an ephah and why is a particular measure used?" cause eyes to glaze over. The details of the priests clothing are impossible to follow without a picture. People therefore assume its not important or difficult. Many things in the Pentateuch are like that where the reader tends to assume its not important, so much so that reading retention is pretty low usually I think if the entire thing gets read at all. This is the first indication that its not written with just anybody in mind.
How does this relate to my op?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I consider the Bible a part of the universal Revelation that leads to the spiritual evolution and unity of all humanity, including all religions in the history of humanity 'once the veneer and the twisted [culturally egocentric] arguments and reasoning are stripped away.'

One of the questions is what you would call 'twisted arguments.' Needs clarification to separate the different arguments concerning Bible.

The extremes of Christian fundamentalism, anti-science arguments, and extreme arguments that totally reject the Bible are problematic. Realistically the Bible should be considered in the context of the times it was written.
Twisted arguments are what arise when the plain text is ignored.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
It can be shown by objective, verifiable, scientific evidence that, arguably the three biggest stories in the Bible – the Creation, the Flood and the Exodus – didn’t happen.

Seriously, the Creation story is told as two different, contradictory stories with different events and different timelines, plus it violates everything we know about cosmology. And who’s the narrator in the Creation stories? Was there a witness to those events? Whose word are we taking for the accuracy of these stories?

The Flood story is copied straight out of the tales of Gilgamesh; boat, animals, rain, dove, the whole thing. The story was simply swiped from an older myth.

In Exodus, the Bible says that there were 600,000 Jews or 600,000 families, depending on which translation you choose. That many people, hauling their possessions would make up a line that would stretch to China. I mean that literally. The line would stretch from Egypt to China. Ancient camel caravan trails are detectable from orbit, but there’s no sign that a huge mob wandered around that area for 40 years. They would have left evidence. Lots of evidence. There isn’t any.

You can find some “universal coherent message” in there if you’re looking for it, but it’ll only be your interpretation.
You're stuck on the veneer

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
23 jun 2018 stvdv 012 27
Ok, now that I trolled ur attention...Is the bible true but the names, places and events have been changed to protect the guilty/innocent.
What I mean is that once all the veneer and the strange twisted arguments and reasoning are stripped away is there a universal coherent message in the bible?
Very good post. Most people forget the "universal coherent message" and are blinded by "egoistic incoherent details".
Maybe call it "worldly coherent message" though. I know we still like earth [read us/me] to be the centre of the universe
But humans came already from that "high horse" some centuries ago [still "high horses" left; old habits die hard]

Lucky for us "not too smart humans" Bible makes it not too cryptic:
First and highest Commandment
Second Commandment equal to First [to make it even more simple for us "not too smart humans"]