• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Is True...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We rationalize a lot at work that's Co struction. "hey do we really need that rebar I mean look its only holding back dirt. Yes we need to do that" it is a constant.
I don't think that is rationalization. Whether rebar is needed or not in certain situations can be tested without endangering employees. That way you do know when you run into certain situations even if it is only dirt that "Yes we need to do that".

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The theme that runs throughout the book is that mankind has a problem, mainly that their hearts are in rebellion to what is good.

Even the people God, or Jehovah showed favor to , it was out of mercy, and reconciliation.

Japle

It can be shown by objective, verifiable, scientific evidence that, arguably the three biggest stories in the Bible – the Creation, the Flood and the Exodus – didn’t happen.

Seriously, the Creation story is told as two different, contradictory stories with different events and different timelines, plus it violates everything we know about cosmology. And who’s the narrator in the Creation stories? Was there a witness to those events? Whose word are we taking for the accuracy of these stories?

The Flood story is copied straight out of the tales of Gilgamesh; boat, animals, rain, dove, the whole thing. The story was simply swiped from an older myth.

In Exodus, the Bible says that there were 600,000 Jews or 600,000 families, depending on which translation you choose. That many people, hauling their possessions would make up a line that would stretch to China. I mean that literally. The line would stretch from Egypt to China. Ancient camel caravan trails are detectable from orbit, but there’s no sign that a huge mob wandered around that area for 40 years. They would have left evidence. Lots of evidence. There isn’t any.

You can find some “universal coherent message” in there if you’re looking for it, but it’ll only be your interpretation.

sealchan

Ok, now that I trolled ur attention...Is the bible true but the names, places and events have been changed to protect the guilty/innocent.

What I mean is that once all the veneer and the strange twisted arguments and reasoning are stripped away is there a universal coherent message in the bible?

That God created an amoral world but through faith and suffering one and one's society can hope for and attain a more moral one.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At one time I thought the Bible was incoherent and confusing, that was ... until I was born again. Immediately after that I realized it all made sense and the theme of salvation offered through Jesus Christ was woven throughout, from Genesis to Revelation.
What text in the Tanakh would persuade an impartial historian that the Tanakh is about salvation through Jesus?

Is it not sufficient to point out that given an historical Jesus existed at all, he didn't exist in history till long after the Tanakh was written?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Ok, now that I trolled ur attention...Is the bible true but the names, places and events have been changed to protect the guilty/innocent.

What I mean is that once all the veneer and the strange twisted arguments and reasoning are stripped away is there a universal coherent message in the bible?

I think so--"Trust Jesus and never perish in Hell, but have eternal life in Heaven."

People who get instead, "Be a good person" have read some other book!

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

The Bible is full of great memes/powerful statements!

Check out my website
www.raelish.com/long-position-on-raelism (hold your cell phone horizontally)
It has what we consider our most important verses. I looked at each one and tried to make an advanced concept, a great experiment based on it, inventoried them as comprehensive overall and put them in an order.

Last edited:

we-live-now

The original meaning has in so many cases been lost in mans translations. Instead of just translating each single word he put down an idea of "what God meant". What gives him the right to interpret that way? Btw, there is a free app that translates each word individually. This gives a MUCH better picture of the truth. http://www.scripture4all.org/

Also, if we go back to the root (original) words and study them, we will discover that it has been written in a dualistic view/mindset or a split view/mind/eye. If we study Matt 6:22-23 we will see that a dualistic view (compound eye) is actually what evil is. This is when we view ourselves as somehow separated from God. That (dualistic) view is the entire mindset of the Old Testament (and most of the new) which is why the OT is called the "ministry of death". 2 Cor 3:6-7. It is also what is taught in every church I have ever attended. They teach that "sin separates us from God" which is impossible. If God is everywhere (omnipresent) how can we be separated from him?

The true word of God is living and is written into everyone's heart.

Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. James 1:21

blessings,

Duane

David T

Premium Member
"Love God" (aka that thing that's bigger than you are - your family, community, planet) and "love thy neighbour" are great rules of thumb - but real life is much more complicated and nuanced than that...and like I said, we don't really need the Bible to learn that.

Like I also said - the devil is in the details. If you stick rigidly to Bible precepts because it got the general rule of thumb right you get into a mess - you start believing ridiculous things like "God hates ****" and "evolution is only a theory" and all that kind of nonsense.

So no, not really a starter book - if you strip away the "veneer" you're left with nothing more than a common human intuition - that we are connected to something bigger that includes other people and that it behooves us to temper our evolutionary propensity for taking "unfair" advantages in favour of a more ecological and social-minded approach. Its hardly surprising that just about the only thing the Bible gets right is a common human intuition. But it does provide a valuable record of how that balancing act has evolved from strictly tribal to more "globally" inclusive as we read from Genesis to (say) Paul's "one body, many parts" (1 Corinthians 12:12-27) and Peter's realization that "God does not play favourites" (Acts of the Apostles 10:34). But we have had - "God" has had - another 2000 years to further develop that positive trend.
"Love God" (aka that thing that's bigger than you are. .

Hhhmmmm Like nature. Seems the message doesn't sink in very deeply.
I don't think that is rationalization. Whether rebar is needed or not in certain situations can be tested without endangering employees. That way you do know when you run into certain situations even if it is only dirt that "Yes we need to do that".
Well as the ancient Joseph story reveals..... In spite of ourselves is very true.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
What text in the Tanakh would persuade an impartial historian that the Tanakh is about salvation through Jesus?

Is it not sufficient to point out that given an historical Jesus existed at all, he didn't exist in history till long after the Tanakh was written?
Stuck on the veneer.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
It can be shown by objective, verifiable, scientific evidence that, arguably the three biggest stories in the Bible – the Creation, the Flood and the Exodus – didn’t happen.

Seriously, the Creation story is told as two different, contradictory stories with different events and different timelines, plus it violates everything we know about cosmology. And who’s the narrator in the Creation stories? Was there a witness to those events? Whose word are we taking for the accuracy of these stories?

The Flood story is copied straight out of the tales of Gilgamesh; boat, animals, rain, dove, the whole thing. The story was simply swiped from an older myth.

In Exodus, the Bible says that there were 600,000 Jews or 600,000 families, depending on which translation you choose. That many people, hauling their possessions would make up a line that would stretch to China. I mean that literally. The line would stretch from Egypt to China. Ancient camel caravan trails are detectable from orbit, but there’s no sign that a huge mob wandered around that area for 40 years. They would have left evidence. Lots of evidence. There isn’t any.

You can find some “universal coherent message” in there if you’re looking for it, but it’ll only be your interpretation.
Any particular reason you did not address the op?

InChrist

Free4ever

Too many to list...all the scriptures concerning sacrifice, shedding of blood for sin atonement, and prophecies pointing to a promised Messiah.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Yes, it’s in my signature. At the bottom.
The real issue / theme is God’s sovereignty, his right to rule....everything else, even man’s salvation, is secondary to that.

Earthling

David Henson

No. The names, places and events are crucial in establishing the truth.

The Bible is about the vindication of Jehovah God's name through the ransom sacrifice of Christ Jesus. For a more detailed sy nopsis see my post The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good And Bad

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What I experienced is not unique to me, but is unique and only experienced by those who believe God and are born again to new life in Christ.
Why do you think that? From what I have seen other religious people have the same unsupported beliefs. And for the same reason that they can't convince you that they are right you can't convince them. Neither one of you have proper evidence for your beliefs.

neologist

The theme of the Bible revolves around God's sovereignty, his right to set standards for his intelligent creations.

Adam and Eve were created with a perfect moral compass that included God's standards. As such, they knew only good and had no need to experience the knowledge of good and bad offered by the tree of that name.

One only has to read Sartre's No Exit to contemplate what a world would be like with everyone setting their own standards. Death would be the only relief; therefore, death is the only reasonable consequence for our first parents' sin.

Perhaps Satan felt he had God in a conundrum. Had God executed the rebels on the spot, he would have had to admit failure. So much for the creator whose name, Jehovah, means "He Causes to Become". Or, if he simply ignored the transgression, he would have to abandon his standard of justice, making him a liar.

Instead, he allowed Adam and Eve to bear children, but not before pronouncing death sentences on all 3 rebels and fortelling the role of Jesus as mankind's Redeemer and Satan's executioner. - Genesis 3:15

The entire Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, explains and describes how Jehovah will accomplish his purpose. It explains how:
  • God will resurrect all who have died, including those who never had a chance to know God - John 5:28,29
  • Undo all of Satan's works and restore the earth according to the commission he offered Adam and Eve to live and thrive on earth forever. Revelation: 21:4

No

Douglas J.

Nothing the hand of man touches remains undamaged, this is simply the nature of things, but much of the truth can be found if you seek it. As for the message, it exists, but whether or not you ask the right questions to find the truth is up to you.

How hard you try to discern it requires great study, and impact of the original languages of the period. Certainly, nothing was originally written in Greek. Hebrew and Aramaic, both the Syriac and Galilean dialects are important.

Reach out hard enough and you might be surprised what you find.