• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Is A Heavily Outdated Book

There are plenty of contradictions in the bible. I'll name one of the biggest ones. It was so big that newer translations like the NKJV, NIV and many others quickly corrected it because it was so embarrasing: KJV Genesis 22:1 and KJV James 1:13.

Even more embarrassing, the KJV even messed up the translation of one of the ten commandamants. KJV Exodus 20:13 Is not 'kill' but the hebrew word there according to the hebrew bible and all earlier texts is actually 'murder.' Big difference. Yet, this version of the bible is still dominant amongst most Christians worldwide even though it's one big mess that constantly gets revised with newer versions because of its bogus mistranslations.

Yes, KJV only Christians, there is a big reason why newer versions have come out and it's not "evil" to correct the legitimate mistakes that the KJV conspicuously poses. It's so foolish to by into the KJV only deception; if only they knew how naive they actually are. Sadly, they will never know.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The soul does live on after the death of the body according to Jesus (Matt 10:28) but that is not the resurrection.
1 Cor 15:35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?” 36 How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else.

The physical body dies and is buried and comes back to life as something different as the above passage tells us. That is the Biblical resurrection.
The physical body dies and is buried and comes back to life as something different.
It comes back as a spiritual body, not a physical body. Those two bodies are different.
The physical body is perishable, the spiritual body that is raised is imperishable.

1 Corinthians 15:35-37

The Resurrection Body
35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?” 36 How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else.

42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

Brian2

Veteran Member
The physical body dies and is buried and comes back to life as something different.
It comes back as a spiritual body, not a physical body. Those two bodies are different.
The physical body is perishable, the spiritual body that is raised is imperishable.

1 Corinthians 15:35-37

The Resurrection Body
35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?” 36 How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else.

42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

Yes, it is sown and dies and it is raised.
And just as with Jesus resurrection body there will be physical aspects there even though it is a spiritual, immortal and incorruptible body.
A spiritual body does not mean that it is a spirit.

1Cor 15:44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. 46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven. 48 As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the heavenly man, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man.

When it says "the last Adam, a life giving spirit" that is not what Jesus became after the resurrection, that is what He was before becoming a man. The first Adam became a living soul and the last Adam was always a life giving spirit (it does not say "became") The last Adam was the heavenly man, a life giving spirit and we bear his image in the resurrection just as we will also continue to bear the image of the first Adam.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, it is sown and dies and it is raised.
And just as with Jesus resurrection body there will be physical aspects there even though it is a spiritual, immortal and incorruptible body.
The problem you have is that you are conflating the resurrection of Jesus with the resurrections of humans.

Here is the crux of the problem:

You believe that since Jesus' resurrection body had physical aspects, even though it was a spiritual, immortal and incorruptible body, that means that all Christians who die will get a body like Jesus had, but even if Jesus had that kind of body, that does not mean that everyone will get a body like that. There is nothing in the Bible that says Christians will get a body like Jesus had, a physical-spiritual body. All we have is the following:

1 Corinthians 15 New Living Translation

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

51 But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed!

54 Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die,[c] this Scripture will be fulfilled: “Death is swallowed up in victory.[d]

Read full chapter
A spiritual body does not mean that it is a spirit.
No, it doesn't mean it it is a disembodied spirit. We will have a spiritual body made up of spiritual elements.
Verse 50 says "physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever." That means that physical bodies cannot exist in heaven, which will last forever. That is why we need spiritual bodies.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.”
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
The problem you have is that you are conflating the resurrection of Jesus with the resurrections of humans.

Here is the crux of the problem:

You believe that since Jesus' resurrection body had physical aspects, even though it was a spiritual, immortal and incorruptible body, that means that all Christians who die will get a body like Jesus had, but even if Jesus had that kind of body, that does not mean that everyone will get a body like that. There is nothing in the Bible that says Christians will get a body like Jesus had, a physical-spiritual body. All we have is the following:

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

51 But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed!

54 Then, when our dying bodies have been transformed into bodies that will never die,[c] this Scripture will be fulfilled: “Death is swallowed up in victory.[d]

Read full chapter
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Corinthians+15&version=NLT

1 John 3:1 Behold what manner of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, we are now children of God, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is.

Well I suppose however that it does not matter if we end up as spirits or not, it is the body that Jesus has which is important doctrinally.
The JWs want Jesus as an invisible spirit who comes back invisibly. Baha'is and others want Jesus as a spirit who does not return personally and the same way He went from the earth. etc
But 1John 3 does tell us that we will be like Him and the Bible also tell us that our bodies have been redeemed from corruption (Romans 8:23) like the rest of us has been redeemed by Jesus, purchased with His blood.

No, it doesn't mean it it is a disembodied spirit. We will have a spiritual body made up of spiritual elements.
Verse 50 says "physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever." That means that physical bodies cannot exist in heaven, which will last forever. That is why we need spiritual bodies.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.”
Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

If our bodies will be like Jesus body then it will not have blood, it will be flesh and bone as Luke 24 suggests. It is the blood with is the life of our body in the OT law and is also a symbol of corruption (as in the Nile turned to blood). My theory is that our spirit takes the place of the blood as the life of the body and keeps it alive anywhere and controls it. Maybe Neo in the Matrix is a parable of it, but we don't know for sure what it will be like.
Maybe it will be changed to heavenly form in heaven and a more physical form on earth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe it is true to some extent but there are some truths from it that will never change. I believe that is why it is good to have Jesus as Lord and Savior and able to present current truth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not thrown out entirely, but definitely thrown out as powerful influence in politics and society at large. Those who haven't already moved on are largely those hating gays and have an unhealthy, rabid and dangerous obsession with abortion and eroding the separation of church and state.

I believe murdering children will be wrong forever despite the wickedness of those who love it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The bible is not an instruction manual. It is a work of literature. Trying to take it literally is a bit silly. That's what the creationists and Seventh Day Adventists do, but it is a quite anachronistic approach.

I believe literal is better than imagination. What else is there to go by? It is what it is.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I believe literal is better than imagination. What else is there to go by? It is what it is.
One can go by intelligent reading, informed by knowledge of literary devices and imagery, awareness of the culture and influences of the time and comparisons with other parts of the text.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I believe murdering children will be wrong forever despite the wickedness of those who love it.
David seems to think theres circumstances when bashing little kids on stones will make someone happy. Amd then those times the Hebrew army was commanded to rip the unborn from the womb.
You god is not against killing the born or unborn. He had had innocent infants killed in Egypt, and he killed a whole bunch of fetuses and kids by drowning them.
Your religion has NO room to say abortion is evil or wicked or wrong because your god will kill little children who are born and unborn fetuses alike.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There are plenty of contradictions in the bible. I'll name one of the biggest ones. It was so big that newer translations like the NKJV, NIV and many others quickly corrected it because it was so embarrasing: KJV Genesis 22:1 and KJV James 1:13.

Even more embarrassing, the KJV even messed up the translation of one of the ten commandamants. KJV Exodus 20:13 Is not 'kill' but the hebrew word there according to the hebrew bible and all earlier texts is actually 'murder.' Big difference. Yet, this version of the bible is still dominant amongst most Christians worldwide even though it's one big mess that constantly gets revised with newer versions because of its bogus mistranslations.

Yes, KJV only Christians, there is a big reason why newer versions have come out and it's not "evil" to correct the legitimate mistakes that the KJV conspicuously poses. It's so foolish to by into the KJV only deception; if only they knew how naive they actually are. Sadly, they will never know.
Have you any intention to respond to any posts in your thread or are you just here to push your view?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
1 John 3:1 Behold what manner of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, we are now children of God, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is.

Well I suppose however that it does not matter if we end up as spirits or not, it is the body that Jesus has which is important doctrinally.
"We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is."

When I read that, I immediately knew what I meant. It meant we will be Christlike, meaning we will have the spiritual attributes of Christ, such as Good, Loving, Gracious, Merciful, Just, Righteous, Forgiving, and Patient.
Those attributes are also the attributes of God, since Jesus had the attributes of God. The verse is not referring to the body that Jesus had and saying we will have the same kind of body. It is not the flesh body that Jesus has which is important, it was His Spirit, which came from God.

John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

The JWs want Jesus as an invisible spirit who comes back invisibly. Baha'is and others want Jesus as a spirit who does not return personally and the same way He went from the earth. etc
But 1John 3 does tell us that we will be like Him and the Bible also tell us that our bodies have been redeemed from corruption (Romans 8:23) like the rest of us has been redeemed by Jesus, purchased with His blood.
If our bodies will be like Jesus body then it will not have blood, it will be flesh and bone as Luke 24 suggests. It is the blood with is the life of our body in the OT law and is also a symbol of corruption (as in the Nile turned to blood). My theory is that our spirit takes the place of the blood as the life of the body and keeps it alive anywhere and controls it. Maybe Neo in the Matrix is a parable of it, but we don't know for sure what it will be like.
Maybe it will be changed to heavenly form in heaven and a more physical form on earth.
Our bodies that are raised to go to heaven will not be flesh and bone since flesh and bone are physical.
Only spiritual bodies can exist in the Kingdom of God which is in heaven, and that is why our physical bodies need to be transformed into spiritual bodies, so we can live in heaven which will last forever.

Read full chapter

Brian2

Veteran Member
"We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is."

When I read that, I immediately knew what I meant. It meant we will be Christlike, meaning we will have the spiritual attributes of Christ, such as Good, Loving, Gracious, Merciful, Just, Righteous, Forgiving, and Patient.
Those attributes are also the attributes of God, since Jesus had the attributes of God. The verse is not referring to the body that Jesus had and saying we will have the same kind of body. It is not the flesh body that Jesus has which is important, it was His Spirit, which came from God.

Yes it does not necessarily speak about the body of Christ.
What do you make of this one?

Job 19:25 I know that my redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!

John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Our spirits are born again in this life through the Holy Spirit in us. Our bodies are born again at the resurrection.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

These haven't got anything to do with the resurrection body.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Yes Adam is said to have sinned and Moses also.
Yes, yet Baha'is make them "manifestations" equal to Jesus?

I don't see how sin could have entered the world because of Adam's sin, and then have Baha'is claim that Adam is a manifestation of God.
TB denies this, but a simple search turned up this...

Bahá’u’lláh referred to several historical figures as Manifestations. They include Adam, Noah, Zoroaster, Krishna, Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Jesus and Muhammad. The Báb, as well as Himself, were included in this definition.
Then this...

Adam is regarded as the first Manifestation of God in the Bahá’í Faith.
The Báb described Adam as the First Manifestation of God...
‘Abdu’l-Bahá explained the station of Adam as a Manifestation in a Tablet...
Then this...

"The Adamic Cycle inaugurated 6000 years ago by the Manifestation of God called Adam...
So, how much confidence can we have in what she says, especially when it comes to the Bible?

Oh, I'm still reading posts, so I don't know for sure if a Baha'i gave an answer to how the Baha'i Faith explains the empty tomb.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What do you make of this one?

Job 19:25 I know that my redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him
with my own eyes—I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!
It is hard to know since I don't know the context, but I think it is what Job hoped for.
Our spirits are born again in this life through the Holy Spirit in us.
True.
Our bodies are born again at the resurrection.
Our bodies are born again as spiritual bodies at the resurrection (according to Swedenborg)
These haven't got anything to do with the resurrection body.
I never claimed they did.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Bahá’u’lláh referred to several historical figures as Manifestations. They include Adam, Noah, Zoroaster, Krishna, Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Jesus and Muhammad. The Báb, as well as Himself, were included in this definition.​
That website is not from the Baha'i Writings so it is just someone's opinion.

Please quote from the Writings of Baha'u'llah and show Bahá’u’lláh referred to those historical figures as Manifestations of God.

Please quote Baha'u'llah saying that all the Manifestations are equal.
Then this...

Then this...

"The Adamic Cycle inaugurated 6000 years ago by the Manifestation of God called Adam...​
Can you cite the Baha'i Writings that make these claims?
Baha'u'llah referred to Adam as a prophet, not a Manifestation of God.

“For even as He regarded Himself to be the “First of the Prophets”—that is Adam—in like manner, the “Seal of the Prophets” is also applicable unto that Divine Beauty. It is admittedly obvious that being the “First of the Prophets,” He likewise is their “Seal.””
The Kitáb-i-Íqán, p. 162

“Consider; He hath declared Knowledge to consist of twenty and seven letters, and regarded all the Prophets, from Adam even unto the “Seal,” as Expounders of only two letters thereof and of having been sent down with these two letters.”
The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 243-244

Brian2

Veteran Member

Bahá’u’lláh referred to several historical figures as Manifestations. They include Adam, Noah, Zoroaster, Krishna, Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Jesus and Muhammad. The Báb, as well as Himself, were included in this definition.
Then this...

Then this...

"The Adamic Cycle inaugurated 6000 years ago by the Manifestation of God called Adam...
So, how much confidence can we have in what she says, especially when it comes to the Bible?

Oh, I'm still reading posts, so I don't know for sure if a Baha'i gave an answer to how the Baha'i Faith explains the empty tomb.

It is no wonder that TB does not believe in the original sin.

Brian2

Veteran Member
It is hard to know since I don't know the context, but I think it is what Job hoped for.

Job is called a prophet by God and this is a teaching of a prophet about what will happen to him after he dies.

Our bodies are born again as spiritual bodies at the resurrection.

True, and the question is "what is a spiritual body".
But you are talking about a resurrection when Jesus returns and resurrects the dead I hope,,,,,,,,,,,, and not referring to our soul leaving the body at the death of the body.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
True, and the question is "what is a spiritual body".
But you are talking about a resurrection when Jesus returns and resurrects the dead I hope,,,,,,,,,,,, and not referring to our soul leaving the body at the death of the body.
Yes, that is the Baha'i teaching regarding the resurrection. The Resurrection is when Christ returns and resurrects the spiritually dead to spiritual life. It has nothing to do with the gross physical body rising from a grave.

Resurrection, Paradise, and Hell

“An important part of the Báb’s teaching is His explanation of the terms Resurrection, Day of Judgment, Paradise and Hell. By the Resurrection is meant, He said, the appearance of a new Manifestation of the Sun of Truth. The raising of the dead means the spiritual awakening of those who are asleep in the graves of ignorance, heedlessness and lust. The Day of Judgment is the Day of the new Manifestation, by acceptance or rejection of Whose Revelation the sheep are separated from the goats, for the sheep know the voice of the Good Shepherd and follow Him. Paradise is the joy of knowing and loving God, as revealed through His Manifestation, thereby attaining to the utmost perfection of which one is capable, and, after death, obtaining entrance to the Kingdom of God and the life everlasting. Hell is simply deprivation of that knowledge of God with consequent failure to attain divine perfection, and loss of the Eternal Favor. He definitely declared that these terms have no real meaning apart from this; and that the prevalent ideas regarding the resurrection of the material body, a material heaven and hell, and the like, are mere figments of the imagination. He taught that man has a life after death, and that in the afterlife progress towards perfection is limitless.” Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, pp. 20-21

The Great Resurrection

The Day of Judgment is also the Day of Resurrection, of the raising of the dead. St. Paul in his First Epistle to the Corinthians says:—

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.—I Cor. xv, 51–53.​

As to the meaning of these passages about the raising of the dead, Bahá’u’lláh writes in the Book of Íqán:—

… By the terms “life” and “death,” spoken of in the scriptures, is intended the life of faith and the death of unbelief. The generality of the people, owing to their failure to grasp the meaning of these words, rejected and despised the person of the Manifestation, deprived themselves of the light of His divine guidance, and refused to follow the example of that immortal Beauty. …

… Even as Jesus said: “Ye must be born again” [John iii, 7]. Again He saith: “Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit” [John iii, 5–6]. The purpose of these words is that whosoever in every dispensation is born of the Spirit and is quickened by the breath of the Manifestation of Holiness, he verily is of those that have attained unto “life” and “resurrection” and have entered into the “paradise” of the love of God. And whosoever is not of them, is condemned to “death” and “deprivation,” to the “fire” of unbelief, and to the “wrath” of God. …

In every age and century, the purpose of the Prophets of God and their chosen ones hath been no other but to affirm the spiritual significance of the terms “life,” “resurrection,” and “judgment.” … Wert thou to attain to but a dewdrop of the crystal waters of divine knowledge, thou wouldst readily realize that true life is not the life of the flesh but the life of the spirit. For the life of the flesh is common to both men and animals, whereas the life of the spirit is possessed only by the pure in heart who have quaffed from the ocean of faith and partaken of the fruit of certitude. This life knoweth no death, and this existence is crowned by immortality. Even as it hath been said: “He who is a true believer liveth both in this world and in the world to come.” If by “life” be meant this earthly life, it is evident that death must needs overtake it.—Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 114, 118, 120–21.​

According to the Bahá’í teaching the Resurrection has nothing to do with the gross physical body. That body, once dead, is done with. It becomes decomposed and its atoms will never be recomposed into the same body.

Resurrection is the birth of the individual to spiritual life, through the gift of the Holy Spirit bestowed through the Manifestation of God. The grave from which he arises is the grave of ignorance and negligence of God. The sleep from which he awakens is the dormant spiritual condition in which many await the dawn of the Day of God. This dawn illumines all who have lived on the face of the earth, whether they are in the body or out of the body, but those who are spiritually blind cannot perceive it. The Day of Resurrection is not a day of twenty-four hours, but an era which has now begun and will last as long as the present world cycle continues. It will continue when all traces of the present civilization will have been wiped off the surface of the globe.”

Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, pp. 220-222