• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible. How much do you know or don't know

We Never Know

No Slack
Well this is a religious forum so let's get down to brass tacks.

Pick any bible verse and convince me that you KNOW without doubt that it's been translated right, that you KNOW without a doubt it's been interpreted right and then convince me why you KNOW without doubt that it is true or that you KNOW without doubt that it's not true and why you have no doubt of your choice.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll have to find the website, but there is at least one online that is far more accurate than any other version of the Bible, and it was made as a project to make a Bible that is a good translation.
Now, I don't know Aramaic or Hebrew, and I have less than scant knowledge of ancient Greek (philosophy minor), so I cannot personally attest to the accuracy. But, I do know the Bible who enough to know older versions basically have the "Shakespeare problem" where is obviously dated, but unbeknownst to all but those who either know it or don't (with far more donts), that is not just old words, but even words we still use today but the definitions today in no way match the KJV version. I remember my first lesson on that, which was over the word conversation (1 Peter 1:18 - it was one of many I had to memorize for home schooling). It's not a talking conversations, but more rather defined as a lifestyle.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I like to know how the missing gaps got filled in the Bible considering what's been discovered so far is just vauge pieces and fragments.

The original Bible, if there ever was one, is pretty much long gone.

Invisibilis

Pick any bible verse and convince me that you KNOW without doubt that it's been translated right, that you KNOW without a doubt it's been interpreted right and then convince me why you KNOW without doubt that it is true or that you KNOW without doubt that it's not true and why you have no doubt of your choice.
Doubtlessness is so obvious that it defies reason.
Your challenge cannot be reasoned with, so you will have to convince yourself.

Hawkins

You don't know what you are talking about.

The following is a piece of history recorded down in 1st century. Ask the same questions on why you should believe that it's historical and factual!

The Wars of the Jews - Josephus
Book 1, Chapter 12,
1. When Cassius was gone out of Syria, another sedition arose at Jerusalem, wherein Felix assaulted Phasaelus with an army, that he might revenge the death of Malichus upon Herod, by falling upon his brother. Now Herod happened then to be with Fabius, the governor of Damascus, and as he was going to his brother's assistance, he was detained by sickness;

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

I think your mind is made up and nothing can convince you of anything.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

This is odd, though. Whether jesus rose or not, he still was with his father in heaven eventually. Whether jesus was god or not, he still died on the cross for christians' sins. Whether he actually died or not, he still was on earth to do his job. Whether he was alive or not, people still follow his spirit of not his flesh. Whether jesus' mother was actually divine or not, she still was one of the first to follow him and be saved. Whether one prays to statues, jump up and down, or go door to door, they are all still worshiping.

Whether one goes to church on a saturday or sunday, pick a day-Wednesday, Friday, Monday, it's always will be the seventh day of the week. Hebrew, greek, aramaic, english, french, it all has the same message. God isn't monolingual. Pray to jesus by Eucharist/communion, outdoors, in a congregation, or hours of studying magazines, the point is the same: worship. Whether the church was after christ or in 1870s, the point is still the same. All bibles say god is love. All bibles say god died for people. All bibles have the ten commandments (yes, catholics have all 10. A whole book on it, actually in the CCC and bible). Taking out pagan elements doesn't make it not a pagan faith.

The bible is irrelevant to people's actions and works of their christ.

What did "he" say in john 5:39

38nor does His word abide in you, because you do not believe the One He sent. 39You pore over the Scriptures because you presume that by them you possess eternal life. These are the very words that testify about Me, 40yet you refuse to come to Me to have life.

Shrugs.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I like to know how the missing gaps got filled in the Bible considering what's been discovered so far is just vauge pieces and fragments.

The original Bible, if there ever was one, is pretty much long gone.
Its was filed in, edited, added to, and canonized over a period of many decades, ecxeeding a century, with what we know as the Bible being the result of a committee deciding what goes in and what is left out.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Responding to @Unveiled Artist 's mention of the 10 Commandments, I've always found it slightly amusing that, while everybody is aware that they are given -- slightly differently -- twice

But it seems almost nobody (even Bible readers) seem to be aware that there is another list, and it is the ONLY PLACE IN THE BIBLE that actually says, "the Ten Commandments." (Exodus 20:2-17 and Deut. 5:6-21) But there is another list, Exodus 34:10-28, and here it is. Look carefully at verse 28:

10 And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the LORD: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee.
11 Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite.
12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee:
13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:
14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
15 Lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee, and thou eat of his sacrifice;
16 And thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.
17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
18 The feast of unleavened bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month Abib: for in the month Abib thou camest out from Egypt.
19 All that openeth the matrix is mine; and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.
20 But the firstling of an *** thou shalt redeem with a lamb: and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before me empty.
21 Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.
22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.
23 Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord GOD, the God of Israel.
24 For I will cast out the nations before thee, and enlarge thy borders: neither shall any man desire thy land, when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.
25 Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven; neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.
26 The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.
27 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... it seems almost nobody (even Bible readers) seem to be aware that there is another list, and it is the ONLY PLACE IN THE BIBLE that actually says, "the Ten Commandments." (Exodus 20:2-17 and Deut. 5:6-21) But there is another list, Exodus 34:10-28, and here it is. Look carefully at verse 28: ...

28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Actually, it says ...

עֲשֶׂ֖רֶת הַדְּבָרִֽים

FWIW, the Everett Fox translation offers:

28. Now he was there beside YHWH
for forty days and forty nights;
bread he don eat
and water he did not drink,
but he wrote down on the tablet the words of the covenant,
the Ten Words.​

... and he notes:

28. Ten Words: These are known in the Bible as such, not as the "Ten Commandments."​

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

First, why don't you dismount your high horse and convince us that yours is not a pretentious, sophomoric demand. :)

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'll have to find the website, but there is at least one online that is far more accurate than any other version of the Bible, and it was made as a project to make a Bible that is a good translation.
Now, I don't know Aramaic or Hebrew, and I have less than scant knowledge of ancient Greek (philosophy minor), so I cannot personally attest to the accuracy. But, I do know the Bible who enough to know older versions basically have the "Shakespeare problem" where is obviously dated, but unbeknownst to all but those who either know it or don't (with far more donts), that is not just old words, but even words we still use today but the definitions today in no way match the KJV version. I remember my first lesson on that, which was over the word conversation (1 Peter 1:18 - it was one of many I had to memorize for home schooling). It's not a talking conversations, but more rather defined as a lifestyle.

In my opinion, the bible should be restricted in use, and people should use their conscience more often and carry on in discussions with clergymen, monks and friars. Read the writings of the mystics and follow the saints just like we follow our parents, aunt's and uncle's. They were put here to help us as guides.

...But this is just my opinion... In regards to protecting ourselves from misinterpreting the bible, which happens a whole lot more than people like to admit.

lostwanderingsoul

In my opinion, the bible should be restricted in use, and people should use their conscience more often and carry on in discussions with clergymen, monks and friars. Read the writings of the mystics and follow the saints just like we follow our parents, aunt's and uncle's. They were put here to help us as guides.

...But this is just my opinion... In regards to protecting ourselves from misinterpreting the bible, which happens a whole lot more than people like to admit.
Typical Catholic answer. Throw out the Bible and follow the teachings of humans. But God tells us NOT to follow traditions But if you ignore the Bible then there is not much left but the ideas of men.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Typical Catholic answer. Throw out the Bible and follow the teachings of humans. But God tells us NOT to follow traditions But if you ignore the Bible then there is not much left but the ideas of men.

We now have 33,000 denominations since the Protestant Reformation. All with varying interpretations of scripture... Imagine that... o_O

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

What percentage =“without a doubt?” What do you mean by “right?” What do you mean by “true?” Because it sounds as if you’re assigning absolutes to something highly fluid.