• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Erroneously Says the Earth is Flat

Audie

Veteran Member
I have a very smart daughter but she lacks wisdom which comes from the God she doesn't like because he is opposed to sin.

You know, we atheists might just start believing in
this "Wisdom from God", if you guys ever showed any.

It just is not enough to proclaim that you are wise
and wonderful, know just exactly what they bible
says and means.

For a keen start, you'd have to show you get the
same wisdom, not conflicting versions.

Instead we get one person who says that there
are flash frozen mammoths that prove the noahs
ark story, another who says it is about a river
flooding, and yet others who say it is all just
a metaphor.

WHY would we believe any of you?

Darkforbid

All this claiming the writers of the OT knew earth was a globe. Is very pointless the prevailing theory of the time was;

Early Mesopotamian mythology, The world was portrayed as a flat disk floating in the ocean with a hemispherical sky-dome above, and this forms the premise for early world maps like those of Anaximander and Hecataeus of Miletus.

Even if you had access to libraries or manuscripts of the time this would be the information they contained

Road Less Traveled

I am late to the conversation so did not see Audie's hypothetical. But that does not change the fact that you posted a failed hypothesis. Now that you are in a hole is the time to stop digging.

Let’s go over this one more time.

I was asked if I’d be okay with flat earth being taught in schools. That is a hypothetical. I did not answer because it had nothing to do with my initial post and because in order for that hypothetical to be so, flat earth would have to be backed by scientific evidence rather than less than 1% of the population ‘believing’ in it.

You remind me of a partial human, to where they have a friend and a stranger. Your friend and the stranger both do the exact same thing while you’re quick to scrutinize the stranger while high-fiving that friend.

I do see your character, and it’s not something constructive to communicate with.

Darkforbid

Rats!!! Foiled again.

Sorry! Have a cake, it'll make you feel better
baby-cake-wreck.w1456.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thank you! Finally!! Now tell Audie that her hypothetical question to me was garbage then and that’s why I never answered it.

Also my hypothetical was not garbage. Do you think in times past, that the transition from flat earth belief to the globe went smoothly?
You misunderstood. I did not see Audie's hypothetical so I cannot say whether or not it is garbage. I saw yours. A hypothetical is supposed to be based at least partly on how things are done in the real world otherwise they are rather useless.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You asked; Where is that ? I am only aware of the Flat Earth verses.

Isaiah 8th? I think the forum just linked to it automatically,.. If that's what you mean? Otherwise my posts doesn't mention bible verses
I see, I misunderstood your post. That was my fault. But the reason that atheists bring up the flat Earth verses of the Bible is in response to YEC's. Not all Christians are YEC's. Most are not even OEC's. Worldwide most do accept science. Perhaps they are a bit sloppy if they say "Christians" it is better to say "literalists" or "fundamentalists" when pointing out the Flat Earth verses. They are used to show the inconsistency of Bible literalists. They are not a broad brush used to smear all Christians.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
But those myths are surely even more disparate and inconsistent than the various flood myths...about the only genuine commonality is the notion of 'gods' interacting in some way with 'humans' - and that's hardly surprising - because they are stories made up by different cultures at different times. Also not terribly surprising that ancient cultures had stories of mischievous deities throwing heavenly spanners in their mundane works to help them make sense of the arbitrary and capricious nature of their unpredictable and precarious existence.
But almost all myths have their origination in some kernel of truth. And many god myths talk about gods having sex w/ humans, which is what Genesis 6:1-4 tells us, and why Jehovah so drastically stepped in.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Of course there was a threat. What was this nonsense:

"Although you'll never accept it as history. Some day you will, though. (You can apologize then, lol.)"
Nope, no threat. Unless you think being humbled and you changing your mind to revealed truth , is a threat...and you 'apologizing' when we meet, indicates you'll still be living.

Where's the threat?

Audie

Veteran Member
You misunderstood. I did not see Audie's hypothetical so I cannot say whether or not it is garbage. I saw yours. A hypothetical is supposed to be based at least partly on how things are done in the real world otherwise they are rather useless.
Maybe your pal could post this hypothetical hypothetical.

Darkforbid

But almost all myths have their origination in some kernel of truth. And many god myths talk about gods having sex w/ humans, which is what Genesis 6:1-4 tells us, and why Jehovah so drastically stepped in.

Yep, the problem is we currently think God's means multiple God's whereas in very old languages God's often means of God. Like in the OT where Elohim is used for Angel's it means 'of God' or 'from God'

Darkforbid

Maybe your pal could post this hypothetical hypothetical.

Difference between Hypothetical and actual

So a young boy comes home from school and says, "dad, my teacher said my homework for the night is to find out the difference between hypothetical and actual."

His dad says, " well son, go ask your mother if she'd sleep with her boss for a million dollars. Then, go ask your sister if she'd sleep with her principal for a million dollars and come back, tell me what they said. "

So the young boy goes and asks both his mom and sister, comes back. "dad, they both said yes."

"Well son, that's your answer."

"But I don't get it", the boy says.

"Ya see, HYPOTHETICALLY we could be millionaires but, we're ACTUALLY living with a couple of whores."

Rational Agnostic

And have you addressed apologetic arguments against your thesis? For example, the use of metaphoric language, "the sun rises" in the Bible, or "pillars of the Earth" as referring to human leadership and not a flat Earth?
And have you addressed apologetic arguments against your thesis? For example, the use of metaphoric language, "the sun rises" in the Bible, or "pillars of the Earth" as referring to human leadership and not a flat Earth?
What is the criterion to determine what is metaphor and what is not metaphor in the Bible? How do you know the story of Jesus isn't just a big giant metaphor for something seemingly unrelated?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nope, no threat. Unless you think being humbled and you changing your mind to revealed truth , is a threat...and you 'apologizing' when we meet, indicates you'll still be living.

Where's the threat?
You do realize that you are as wrong as a toddler insisting that 2 + 2 = 6 I hope. Tell me, how would I be "humbled"?

And you still have not explained how you would defend telling your God that you said that he lied countless times.