• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Erroneously Says the Earth is Flat

Audie

Veteran Member
Hypothetically, if it were taught in schools today and images presented from agencies of a relatively flat Earth...there would be many people condescending on globe believers. Perhaps this once happened in past times, outside of the images.

Would it be ok with you if flat earth were taught
in school?

sooda

Veteran Member
That would be imposing a modern definition on an ancient text

The Bible also says "you make the world to hang on nothing"

We use language of perspective today the NYT might say SUNRISE AT 7 AM or SUNSET AT 7 PM

The language of the Bible is poetic and meant to be that way.. Teaching a memorable lesson with an epic myth is as old as storytelling.

Audie

Veteran Member
It’s just something I don’t consider as important enough to make fun or condescend another towards. It’s not like there is an eternal scientific hell for non-globe believers. Or maybe there is, who knows.

"Condescend" is actually an intransitive verb, so
you would have to say something like "be
condescending toward".

Like other social tools, grammar Nazi, teasing,
condescending, making fun, etc can be used as
a force for good or ill.

They are all useful for kind of keeping eachother
on an even keel.

They can also be used for bullying etc.

In this case, if a person privately believes
the silliest things, let them. IF though,they
try to influence others to adopt some idiocy,
then they may well call in the cavalry to
bring them back in line.

Road Less Traveled

Would it be ok with you if flat earth were taught
in school?

I fail to see how this correlates to what I initially said. That is why your question wasn’t answered. Be more specific... why would a flat earth be taught in schools today if only a very small % of people believe in it?

Audie

Veteran Member
The language of the Bible is poetic and meant to be that way.. Teaching a memorable lesson with an epic myth is as old as storytelling.

ALL of it? I dont think so.

Aside from what terrible poetry
if it is, much of it is narrative of
what are purportedly actual events.

Road Less Traveled

"Condescend" is actually an intransitive verb, so
you would have to say something like "be
condescending toward". Not "condescending on globe believers".

Like other social tools, grammar Nazi, teasing,
condescending, making fun, etc can be used as
a force for good or ill.

They are all useful for kind of keeping others
on an even keel.

They can also be used for bullying etc.

In this case, if a person privately believes
the silliest things, let them. IF though,they
try to influence others to adopt some idiocy,
then they may well call in the cavalry to
bring them back in line.

Okay, if I communicate with you in future times... I will be precise and politically correct in all writing to be worthy of your communication. Or not, since to give two tosses about what you think would be silly.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Hypothetically, if it were taught in schools today and images presented from agencies of a relatively flat Earth...there would be many people condescending on globe believers. Perhaps this once happened in past times, outside of the images.

I see that you do not understand how school curricula are set. Scientific concepts have to be based upon the scientific method. No Flat Earther can support his believes using the scientific method. That is why it is laughed at.

Audie

Veteran Member
Okay, if I communicate with you in future times... I will be precise and politically correct in all writing to be worthy of your communication. Or not, since to give two tosses about what you think would be silly.

Only 99 posts to travel the road to ig city. Not a record,
but fast.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That would be imposing a modern definition on an ancient text

The Bible also says "you make the world to hang on nothing"

We use language of perspective today the NYT might say SUNRISE AT 7 AM or SUNSET AT 7 PM
No, that is your sin. By the Hebrew that verse describes a flat Earth.

Why does it matter if the Bible is wrong on little things. That it is wrong on bigger things does not seem to bother you.

whirlingmerc

Why does it matter if the Bible is wrong on little things. That it is wrong on bigger things does not seem to bother you.

Language is used with a perspective, it's the normal use of language.

From a certain perspective the earth goes around the earth with an accelerating frame of reference as physicists today will say in Harvard and MIT.

From a certain perspective the land is flat as far as the eye can see but even the ancients knew the earth was really round.

sooda

Veteran Member
ALL of it? I dont think so.

Aside from what terrible poetry
if it is, much of it is narrative of
what are purportedly actual events.

Look at Aesop's Fables or any of the 250 creation myths. Our ancestors weren't stupid.

Road Less Traveled

I see that you do not understand how school curricula are set. Scientific concepts have to be based upon the scientific method. No Flat Earther can support his believes using the scientific method. That is why it is laughed at.

I see that you do not understand what a hypothetical is.

Audie presented a hypothetical as to if it were taught in schools today.

Nevertheless, thanks for making a false equivalence to 2 hypotheticals, one of which wasn’t from me and explaining how school curricula is set.

Audie

Veteran Member

I dont think the issue with your average thumper is
about the bible being wrong, it is about their inerrant
reading. Anything can be made correct, if you read
it with god's discerning guidance.

Audie

Veteran Member
Look at Aesop's Fables or any of the 250 creation myths. Our ancestors weren't stupid.

Look at my post. I am not stupid either.
If you dont care to respond on topic, that is
fine, dont respond at all.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

From a certain perspective the earth goes around the earth with an accelerating frame of reference as physicists today will say in Harvard and MIT.

From a certain perspective the land is flat as far as the eye can see but even the ancients knew the earth was really round.
What makes you think that they thought that the Earth was spherical? The Bible does not help you. In fact it has verses that people claim are "visions" where people could see the entire Earth by climbing a tall tree or mountain. That makes no sense at all on a spherical Earth but does on a flat Earth.

sooda

Veteran Member

You can't get into Harvard or MIT if you have been taught the earth is flat. I don't know much about Hebrew, but Arabic can be very, very flowery.. They didn't have tv or books or movies… but they did have story tellers.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I see that you do not understand what a hypothetical is.
No, I understand. I explained why your hypothetical was garbage. It would not happen since concepts taught at schools need to be reality based. Since those that accept the fact that the Earth is a sphere can test and confirm their beliefs it would be accepted where a flat Earth could not be.

sooda

Veteran Member
Look at my post. I am not stupid either.
If you dont care to respond on topic, that is
fine, dont respond at all.

Poetic language in the Bible
The Bible is written in two languages simultaneously -- narrative and poetic. Narrative is like the text caption below a picture and poetic is the picture itself. Poetic language is deeply symbolic and filled with metaphor. Through it, one word can be transposed in the mind to conjure up a sweeping variety of meanings.
The Language of God - goodnewspirit.com
goodnewspirit.com/languageofgod.htm