• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Erroneously Says the Earth is Flat

Road Less Traveled

As I have emphasized several times before, the bible clearly states that the earth is flat. In another thread, I made the conclusion that a fundamentalist Christian who actually believes the bible is the true word of God and means what it says would not only believe in a flat earth, but would also adhere to the idea that belief in a spherical (or technically ellipsoidal ) earth is Satanic, as well as a damnable sin, since fundamentalist Christians believe that to be a Christian, one must take the bible literally, and that disbelief in the bible is caused by the deception of Satan, and thus, akin to the worship of Satan. This is how they get people to deny their own reasoning and even their own senses. Of course, the earth is most certainly not flat. Yet it is repeatedly made clear that the Biblical authors thought that the earth was flat, and also stationary. A book written by a god would not contain such a laughable error.

Others have accused me of copying and pasting out-of-context verses from "atheist" sites to show that the biblical authors believed in a flat earth. However, there are groups of Christians who take the bible literally and use it to argue for belief in a flat earth. Here is a link to a Christian apologetics website that quotes 75 biblical verses that state the earth is flat. 75 Bible Verses Prove Flat Earth

Additionally, the Christian apologist author provides commentary about the verses and their context, showing that they do indeed teach that the earth is flat. He then goes on various tirades about how the spherical earth is a teaching of Satan and an evil deception. This is a serious problem. Similar to the young-earth creationist crowd, there are actually people who are raising their children to blindly follow an erroneous book rather than to actually learn why the earth is not flat.

For me at least, I truly don’t care what the shape of the Earth is nor do I care if others think it is flat. Nevertheless, it is of great importance to many and dear to them. See a lot of debates regarding this.

I honestly think it would be hilarious if it were flat and most of us were wrong.

Audie

Veteran Member
For me at least, I truly don’t care what the shape of the Earth is nor do I care if others think it is flat. Nevertheless, it is of great importance to many and dear to them. See a lot of debates regarding this.

I honestly think it would be hilarious if it were flat and most of us were wrong.

So you wold be ok if it were taught in school that the
earth is flat?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Only a fool takes what they learned in primary school at face value. You saw pictures, you saw globes and you decided that the Bible must be wrong based on scientific stuff or something. As for me, I'm kinda indifferent, as I could make a case either way. But I did learn about critical thinking in school, and how an education is no good if we don't question anything.

The entire Northern Hemisphere has the same stars. Same for the Southern Hemisphere. The round Earth explanation for this is that the Earth rotates once per 24 hours, so during a year, it rotates the full 365 degrees. That gives an acceptable answer.

The flat Earth explanation would be that it's a simple matter to see the stars in the hemisphere, because Earth is just that, a flat plane with two sides. The thing is, while the first sounds more scientific, you start to get a headache when you go out and look at the night sky (you city ppl can't prove or disprove anything because you have so much light pollution you can't even see the stars) and you realize that you seem to be able to see 360 degrees of stars. It's just me but I feel like I'd be unable to see 180 degrees of that if there were a huge curve of the Earth.

I also feel like I'd notice rivers standing at angles. I've been on mountains and never noticed any discenible curve despite seeing for miles. I do believe that the atmosphere is domed though. But considering our eyesight is appallingly bad yet we can see stars light years away, I feel like there's a scam going on, and it's all a hologram.

Last edited:

Darkforbid

Isaiah 8th-century BC

Was not a scientist. Live a long time before Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the Earth. Yet it's common for atheists to trot out this rubbish along with '6000 year old' Earth. It exactly like ridiculing a current day's nomadic tribesmen knowledge of say, computer programming. It's not really a criticism of the nomad. It shows theres something seriously ethically wrong with the critic.

Darkforbid

People will say "sunrise" and this "proves" they STILL believe the sun goes around the earth.
And actually, Einstein showed that they are right. YOU are the center, and the sun goes around
you. On the moon you see the earth going around you.
These "proofs" are just language, translations, metaphors, symbolic language etc.. They have
nothing to do with spirituality.
As an aside, when something is stated categorically and happens to be quite prescient it gets
ignored by skeptics, ie "God commanded the seas to bring forth life." THAT verse was grist for
the mill of biblical time skeptics.

Everything in that is scientifically illiterate

Audie

Veteran Member
Isaiah 8th-century BC

Was not a scientist. Live a long time before Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the Earth. Yet it's common for atheists to trot out this rubbish along with '6000 year old' Earth. It exactly like ridiculing a current day's nomadic tribesmen knowledge of say, computer programming. It's not really a criticism of the nomad. It shows theres something seriously ethically wrong with the critic.

What is seriously wrong is that the bible is supposed to
be the infallible Word of God.

Of course, that is rubbish. Pointing to absurd errors of
fact (see flood, etc) is a way of demonstrating that it is
not infallible.

You are complaining about the wrong people.
Atheists are the ones to agree with you, that
those old timers didnt know what they were
talking about.

Darkforbid

What is seriously wrong is that the bible is supposed to
be the infallible Word of God.

Of course, that is rubbish. Pointing to absurd errors of
fact (see flood, etc) is a way of demonstrating that it is
not infallible.

You are complaining about the wrong people.
Atheists are the ones to agree with you, that
those old timers didnt know what they were
talking about.

What part of 'writing inspired by God' don't you understand? 'infallible Word of God' means infallible news of God

(edit: 'by' added to first line)

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
What part of 'writing inspired God' don't you understand? 'infallible Word of God' means infallible news of God

"Writing inspired god"? That means that god
was inspired by writing.

"Word" means "news"?

I understand English very well, thank you,
despite it being my second language.

I do not understand what you are trying
to say, because you are not making sense.

I do understand that whatever it means, it
is not remotely responsive to what I wrote.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
As I have emphasized several times before, the bible clearly states that the earth is flat. In another thread, I made the conclusion that a fundamentalist Christian who actually believes the bible is the true word of God and means what it says would not only believe in a flat earth, but would also adhere to the idea that belief in a spherical (or technically ellipsoidal ) earth is Satanic, as well as a damnable sin, since fundamentalist Christians believe that to be a Christian, one must take the bible literally, and that disbelief in the bible is caused by the deception of Satan, and thus, akin to the worship of Satan. This is how they get people to deny their own reasoning and even their own senses. Of course, the earth is most certainly not flat. Yet it is repeatedly made clear that the Biblical authors thought that the earth was flat, and also stationary. A book written by a god would not contain such a laughable error.

Others have accused me of copying and pasting out-of-context verses from "atheist" sites to show that the biblical authors believed in a flat earth. However, there are groups of Christians who take the bible literally and use it to argue for belief in a flat earth. Here is a link to a Christian apologetics website that quotes 75 biblical verses that state the earth is flat. 75 Bible Verses Prove Flat Earth

Additionally, the Christian apologist author provides commentary about the verses and their context, showing that they do indeed teach that the earth is flat. He then goes on various tirades about how the spherical earth is a teaching of Satan and an evil deception. This is a serious problem. Similar to the young-earth creationist crowd, there are actually people who are raising their children to blindly follow an erroneous book rather than to actually learn why the earth is not flat.

And have you addressed apologetic arguments against your thesis? For example, the use of metaphoric language, "the sun rises" in the Bible, or "pillars of the Earth" as referring to human leadership and not a flat Earth?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Isaiah 8th-century BC

Where is that ? I am only aware of the Flat Earth verses. I would really like to see some spherical Earth ones.

From all that I have seen the Bible only describes the Earth as flat in both word and deed. But why does that matter? Why would one expect rather ignorant sheep herders to get the shape of the Earth right and does it really matter? Bible extremeists only hurt their own case by denying what is written in the Bible.

Audie

Veteran Member
Where is that ? I am only aware of the Flat Earth verses. I would really like to see some spherical Earth ones.

From all that I have seen the Bible only describes the Earth as flat in both word and deed. But why does that matter? Why would one expect rather ignorant sheep herders to get the shape of the Earth right and does it really matter? Bible extremeists only hurt their own case by denying what is written in the Bible.

One would only expect them to get it correct if
in fact they were getting inspired "of" god to
write Truth.

But, that is what a believer has to believe.

As it is, we atheists have a much better appreciation
of the bible than those "believers" ever will.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
One would only expect them to get it correct if
in fact they were getting inspired "of" god to
write Truth.

But, that is what a believer has to believe.

As it is, we atheists have a much better appreciation
of the bible than those "believers" ever will.
Yep, by demanding that the Bible be without error one has to make some very strange and incorrect interpretations of it. Worse yet is when the politics of the Bible do not agree with those of the believer. A better understanding is arrived by not making the Bible jump through hoops so that it matches up with what we do know.

Darkforbid

So, good that you think (understand?) that you
are not making sense.

Perhaps a Starbux would wake you up?

Pay for coffee?

I don't see how directly quoting your posts. Leaves you with the idea that my posts are totally unrelated

But, hey, I'm used to atheists playing the 'fingers in ears' game when they hear something outside their worldview

Road Less Traveled

Only a fool takes what they learned in primary school at face value. You saw pictures, you saw globes and you decided that the Bible must be wrong based on scientific stuff or something. As for me, I'm kinda indifferent, as I could make a case either way. But I did learn about critical thinking in school, and how an education is no good if we don't question anything.

The entire Northern Hemisphere has the same stars. Same for the Southern Hemisphere. The round Earth explanation for this is that the Earth rotates once per 24 hours, so during a year, it rotates the full 365 degrees. That gives an acceptable answer.

The flat Earth explanation would be that it's a simple matter to see the stars in the hemisphere, because Earth is just that, a flat plane with two sides. The thing is, while the first sounds more scientific, you start to get a headache when you go out and look at the night sky (you city ppl can't prove or disprove anything because you have so much light pollution you can't even see the stars) and you realize that you seem to be able to see 360 degrees of stars. It's just me but I feel like I'd be unable to see 180 degrees of that if there were a huge curve of the Earth.

I also feel like I'd notice rivers standing at angles. I've been on mountains and never noticed any discenible curve despite seeing for miles. I do believe that the atmosphere is domed though. But considering our eyesight is appallingly bad yet we can see stars light years away, I feel like there's a scam going on, and it's all a hologram.

I just thought about what I’d think in my default state if nothing were ever taught or told to me. In honesty, there would be nothing in my senses or reasoning to suggest that the Earth and it’s atmosphere were spinning 60K miles per hr or whatever it is supposed to be. I wouldn’t be able to see curved water, curved water would seem strange, and unrealistic. Or if I turned my bathtub upside down how it would be in Australia in relation to my position... how the water wouldn’t spill out.

Thinking about it, it seems really neat that there would be people, species, structures sideways and upside down in relation to my position on the globe while to each of our perceptions we are all upright and on relatively flat surface. Neat stuff.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Pay for coffee?

I don't see how directly quoting your posts. Leaves you with the idea that my posts are totally unrelated

But, hey, I'm used to atheists playing the 'fingers in ears' game when they hear something outside their worldview

You will need a lot more than coffee.

whirlingmerc

Yep

NOUN
  1. a round plane figure whose boundary (the circumference) consists of points equidistant from a fixed point (the center).

That would be imposing a modern definition on an ancient text

The Bible also says "you make the world to hang on nothing"

We use language of perspective today the NYT might say SUNRISE AT 7 AM or SUNSET AT 7 PM

Road Less Traveled

earth is flat?

Hypothetically, if it were taught in schools today and images presented from agencies of a relatively flat Earth...there would be many people condescending on globe believers. Perhaps this once happened in past times, outside of the images.

Road Less Traveled

earth is flat?

It’s just something I don’t consider as important enough to make fun or condescend another towards. It’s not like there is an eternal scientific hell for non-globe believers. Or maybe there is, who knows.