• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible - Divine Revelation Or Superstitious Myth

true blood

pah said:
You are hoisted, it seems, on your own petard and you use any excuse to wiggle away from it. Talk about intellectual honesty. I do not claim the Bible or Christianity is right I only claim that you misunderstand it.

Your articles will make a good source for threads as they do not quote verse.

-pah-

What are your credentials for your self professed understanding of the ancient scriptures? The Word of God when rightly-divided is strictly spiritually discerned. That's what the scripture teaches. So then enlighten us on why and how this does not apply for you? If the Word of God is only discerned by spirit by golly how does a person who proclaims in an unbelief of spirit be able to discern the rightly dividing of the truth? Who do you truely serve? The Adversary or perhaps just yourself?

Scott1

pah,

What is a "petard"......... the word makes me giggle for some reason.......:D

Scott

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
SOGFPP said:
pah,

What is a "petard"......... the word makes me giggle for some reason.......:D

Scott
I love the phrase "hoisted on his own petard". It is an old, old saying that means that your words are used against you. A petard was an explosive device that was used to open gates or blow holes in fortifications. So, if you were "hoisted on your own petard" you were effectively blowing yourself up. Hence, the current usage that means (roughly) "he shot himself in the foot".

The most didactic,
TVOR

Wleeper

TVOR Please read my original post. Im am not arguing for the validity of the Bible. That I would be quite willing to do and would have to do so with out using the Bible as a varification of its own validity. The only use of the Bible in my original post was to point out two things that it says about homosexually. No one can deny that the Bible says what I said it did. I am not arguing that it is right only that it says a specific thing. My argument is with those who claim that they don't accept the Bible, which is there right. I pointed out that it is intellectually dishonest for them to attempt to use the Bible to support their position of disbelief when they have already admitted that they don't accept it as authoritave. That is the inconsistancy.

Pah

Uber all member
true blood said:
What are your credentials for your self professed understanding of the ancient scriptures? The Word of God when rightly-divided is strictly spiritually discerned. That's what the scripture teaches. So then enlighten us on why and how this does not apply for you? If the Word of God is only discerned by spirit by golly how does a person who proclaims in an unbelief of spirit be able to discern the rightly dividing of the truth? Who do you truely serve? The Adversary or perhaps just yourself?

You must be telling that the the Bible is NOT used to teach the unbeleiver. How ironic that it only "preaches to the choir" How, pray tell, did you come to faith in the first place?????????????

It's a great mistake you and Wayne make.

-pah-

P.S. If it is only for the faithful then it definetly does not belong in politics. It can NOT be used to argue against homosexuality.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Wleeper said:
No one can deny that the Bible says what I said it did. I am not arguing that it is right only that it says a specific thing. My argument is with those who claim that they don't accept the Bible, which is there right. I pointed out that it is intellectually dishonest for them to attempt to use the Bible to support their position of disbelief when they have already admitted that they don't accept it as authoritave. That is the inconsistancy.
Wleeper - I have to agree with you that the Bible says what you said it did (actually, I am conceding the point - none of the other posters are denying it, and I don't have the inclination to look 'em up).
I guess my stumbling block would still be that you insist on quoting the Bible, which you know is not recognized by those on the other side of the argument.
So - if your goal is to win this debate on logical points, I would have to say that you are not making your case. Either start from an agreed premise or concede that you must use circular logic.
Or - if your goal is to show nonbelievers the error of their ways, I would say that most of the readers are being turned away, rather than converted. As per my usual disclaimer, I speak only for myself.

Respectfully,
TVOR

TVOR

anders

A debate is like a duel. The one who chooses weapon must allow the adversary to use the same weapon.

Wleeper, it looks like you're just afraid that your opponents can make better use of the Bible than you.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
THE BIBLE IS DIVINE REVEALATION OF GOD TO THOSE (THIS IS A CONDITIONAL STATEMENT)WHO CHOOSE TO ACCEPT ,BELIEVE AND RECEIVE THE GOSPEL TRUTH OF JESUS CHRIST , THAT HE DIED FOR THE SINS OF MANKIND, WAS BURIED ,ROSE FROM THE GRAVE DEFEATED DEATH SO WE DON'T HAVE TO DIE FOR OUR SIN BUT WILL LIVE FOR EVER.

THE PRICE WAS TO HIGH FOR ANY OF US TO PAY ( DEATH)

THE BIBLE WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE INTERPRETED BY JUST ANYBODY ,
ESPEACIALLY OF THOSE WHO CONSIDER THEMSELVES HIGHLY INTELLECTUAL OR MORALLY GOOD.
NOBODY COMES TO JESUS CHRIST UNLESS THE SPIRIT DRAWS HIM,
INTERPRETATION OF THE SCRIPTURES IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A DEBATABLE SUBJECT UNTIL YOU ENTER INTO A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST . THEN AND ONLY THEN DOES HE REVEAL HIS WORD
YOU FIRST MUST TRUST JESUS FOR SALVATION OF YOUR SOUL,
IT WON'T MATTER WHEN YOU DIE IF YOU FULLY HAD AN INTELLECTUAL CONCEPT AND PHILOSOPOHICAL PERSPECTIVE WITH ARGUEMENTS TO PROVE THE BIBLE WRONG BUT THAT YOU TRUSTED CHRIST AS YOUR SAVIOR
THEN YOU RECEIVE HIS HOLY SPIRIT.HE WILL THEN BEGIN TO SHED LIGHT ON THE UNDRSTANDING AND TRUTH OF HIS WORD.

Pah

Uber all member
roli said:
THE BIBLE IS DIVINE REVEALATION OF GOD TO THOSE (THIS IS A CONDITIONAL STATEMENT)WHO CHOOSE TO ACCE.........JESUS CHRIST UNLESS THE SPIRIT DRAWS HIM,
INTERPRETATION OF THE SCRIPTURES IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A DEBATABLE SUBJECT UNTIL YOU ENTER INTO A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST . THEN AND ONLY THEN DOES HE REVEAL HIS WORD
YO..... HOLY SPIRIT.HE WILL THEN BEGIN TO SHED LIGHT ON THE UNDRSTANDING AND TRUTH OF HIS WORD.

This is considered everywhere on the internet as shouting. ReligiousForums has a policy of not accepting rude posts (and shouting can be considered rude). Please refain from this practise in the future.

-pah-

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
roli -

Pah is asking you to refrain from using all CAPS when you post. It is difficult to read, and, as Pah stated is considered rude.

Pah -
I'm only trying to amplify your answer (no pun intended), on the off chance that roli may be completely new to the internet, chat groups, and posting. Not trying to steal your thunder. :)

Thanks,
TVOR

Betho_br

The question of whether the Bible is considered a divine revelation or a superstitious myth often depends on the exegetical, hermeneutical, and secular approach one applies to the biblical and New Testament writings.

1. Exegetical Approach:
- Divine Revelation: The traditional theological perspective maintains that the Bible is a divine revelation, inspired by God. The exegetical approach here focuses on interpreting the texts in the light of faith, seeking to understand the underlying spiritual and moral meanings.
- Superstitious Myth: A critical exegetical approach may interpret certain biblical accounts as myths, understanding them as symbolic narratives created to convey moral values and spiritual teachings but not necessarily as historical events.

2. Hermeneutical Approach:
- Divine Revelation: Traditional hermeneutics seeks to maintain the integrity of biblical texts, considering the historical, cultural, and linguistic context while applying spiritual principles to everyday life.
- Superstitious Myth: A more critical hermeneutics may highlight cultural differences between biblical and contemporary contexts, arguing that some passages may seem superstitious or antiquated.

3. Secular Approach:
- Divine Revelation: The secular perspective often dismisses the idea of divine revelation, interpreting biblical texts as products of human culture and history subject to symbolic interpretation.
- Superstitious Myth: The secular approach may emphasize similarities between myths from various cultures and biblical accounts, arguing that they share common features of mythology and superstition.

Ultimately, the answer to the question depends on an individual's personal perspective, beliefs, and the approach they apply to reading and interpreting biblical texts. Some view the Bible as a fundamental source of divine truth, while others interpret it more critically, considering it an expression of culture and spirituality but not necessarily a direct revelation from God.