• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the bible canon

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I've read account that disagree with this position, and strongly.
Then I would suggest that what you have read must have been a sell-job(s) from some denomination rather than objective history, and these should be avoided because they tend to have an "agenda" to give you only what they want you to believe.

jaybird

1. The Spirit happens to agree with the councils.

2. Some of the councilmen affirmed in their letters that the Spirit was surely with them; they had marvelous harmony and discussion and were so encouraged to find such great agreement among the brethren.

3. The Spirit tells us in the Word to check all pronouncements against the Word. I cannot believe in apocrypha that contradict God's Word nor should you.

was the spirit with these councils when they agreed with the crusades, made bibles written in Latin that common people could not read and when they killed entire villages that included women, children and people of their own faith?

when Jesus uses teachings that can be found no where else but these books it makes me want to take a second look at these books, put my faith in the spirit and not put my faith in councils.

metis

when Jesus uses teachings that can be found no where else but these books it makes me want to take a second look at these books, put my faith in the spirit and not put my faith in councils.
But even putting one's "faith in the spirit" doesn't seem to work so well as at least millions, if not billions, say they do but there are all sorts of differing dogmas that they believe in. And the church itself said and continues to say that "the spirit" was behind the council that selected the canon.

jaybird

But even putting one's "faith in the spirit" doesn't seem to work so well as at least millions, if not billions, say they do but there are all sorts of differing dogmas that they believe in. And the church itself said and continues to say that "the spirit" was behind the council that selected the canon.
when you have a thousands of different churches teaching a thousand different doctrines and several contradicting each other and at the same time all sides are claiming to be lead by the spirit, something does not add up.

when Jesus said He was sending the Spirit of truth, i dont think it was meant to be used as a tool against others, "your wrong because the Spirit told me your wrong". if thats the case anyone can make any doctrine and claim the Spirit lead them.
IMO i think its meant for the individual to listen to others teachings and lead them to the truth.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Then I would suggest that what you have read must have been a sell-job(s) from some denomination rather than objective history, and these should be avoided because they tend to have an "agenda" to give you only what they want you to believe.

It is a canard that the Bible canon took more than the 1st century to collate. Repeating, I hold a Bachelor's in Religion and do a lot of missions work on university campuses. Metis, late formation of the canon is one more "reason" you offer to avoid trusting Christ.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
was the spirit with these councils when they agreed with the crusades, made bibles written in Latin that common people could not read and when they killed entire villages that included women, children and people of their own faith?

Sorry, but a council meeting in the 4th century to affirm X is heresy or Y is a Bible book is before the crusades and the other abuses you mentioned.

I'm not putting my faith in some council, Catholic, Protestant or other. I'm saying its a myth that men "made up" the Bible canon at councils where they met formally, traveling over great distances and hardships, to communicate in person that everyone meeting agreed--X is Bible, Y is apocrypha.

jaybird

Sorry, but a council meeting in the 4th century to affirm X is heresy or Y is a Bible book is before the crusades and the other abuses you mentioned.

I'm not putting my faith in some council, Catholic, Protestant or other. I'm saying its a myth that men "made up" the Bible canon at councils where they met formally, traveling over great distances and hardships, to communicate in person that everyone meeting agreed--X is Bible, Y is apocrypha.

sorry but your in error, there were plenty of abuses going on at all times, i listed the more extreme to show the fruits of their results.i dont think the Spirit leads a group to kill women and children.

jaybird

sorry BB but that is exactly how they are chosen to be canon. they didnt make up the books, but it was men that decide which are canon.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
sorry but your in error, there were plenty of abuses going on at all times, i listed the more extreme to show the fruits of their results.i dont think the Spirit leads a group to kill women and children.

Why are we shifting the thread again? There wasn't really an RCC as we know it (an evil empire) when councilmen met to affirm what most readers already knew was (obviously) canon.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
sorry BB but that is exactly how they are chosen to be canon. they didnt make up the books, but it was men that decide which are canon.

I've said repeatedly there were many GOOD reasons. Neither Metis nor you asked, but:

1. The Jews had rejected apocrypha and have the same 39 OT books
2. The apocrypha contradicts scripture
3. The canon had lines of tradition (Tertullian knew Irenaeus who knew John wrote Revelation, etc.)
4. The 66 says things often like "Thus saith the Lord" (actually thousands of times)
5. The apocrypha NEVER says "Thus saith the Lord"
6. Churches which kept the apocrypha in later years marked them as in doubt across different Bible editions
7. Apocryphal descriptions of rape and etc. were bluer than even the scriptures

That's for a start...

jaybird

1. The Jews had rejected apocrypha and have the same 39 OT books
2. The apocrypha contradicts scripture
3. The canon had lines of tradition (Tertullian knew Irenaeus who knew John wrote Revelation, etc.)
4. The 66 says things often like "Thus saith the Lord" (actually thousands of times)
5. The apocrypha NEVER says "Thus saith the Lord"
6. Churches which kept the apocrypha in later years marked them as in doubt across different Bible editions
7. Apocryphal descriptions of rape and etc. were bluer than even the scriptures

That's for a start...

1. the Jews accepted them, the pharisees, the enemies of Jesus, John, and the 12, rejected them.
2.the Jews 300 years before Jesus accepted them and included them in the LXX
300 years after Jesus, at nicaea these books are once again accepted as scripture.
what does this tell us. before Jesus, after Jesus and during the time of Jesus these were accepted scripture.
neither Jesus or the 12 teach against them, in fact they teach them.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
1. the Jews accepted them, the pharisees, the enemies of Jesus, John, and the 12, rejected them.
2.the Jews 300 years before Jesus accepted them and included them in the LXX
300 years after Jesus, at nicaea these books are once again accepted as scripture.
what does this tell us. before Jesus, after Jesus and during the time of Jesus these were accepted scripture.
neither Jesus or the 12 teach against them, in fact they teach them.

It tells me to reject them still more strongly, since they are NEVER quoted in the NT which relies almost 100% on the SEPTUAGINT.

metis

Most of the books found in he Tanakh are not quoted or paraphrased by either Jesus or the apostles as found in the N.T.

Clear

Premium Member
Please note, I noticed a couple of small mistakes and edited this note 10:26 to correct it.

I don't care to enter the debate as the points have all been debated multiple times before without ever confirming any definitive canon, but I simply wanted to comment on the various adoptions of the many, somewhat arbitrary “canons” of scripture various religious movements have adopted for themselves during the various religious eras.

Just as the Muratorian canon represented one suggestion of one provincial groups' text seen as sacred by one group and not by other groups, I don’t feel any obligation to accept the modern Western Roman Canon as better than the modern eastern canon (which is significantly larger and has different books), or either of these canons over any protestant canon.

It feels as though the various arguments regarding what books should be read and which should be ignored is motivated more by personal feelings rather than by rational or historical thought. The arguments themselves are often peppered with historical inaccuracies used to justify a position. For example, often one sees the erroneous claim that the current books are chosen because of confirmed authorship. In truth, They are all “pseudographic” to the extent that no one knows nor can anyone prove who wrote any book in the old or new testament. Moses obviously did not write about his own death in the 1st book of Moses (“Genesis”) . Authorship was simply attributed by tradition.

I like the concept in 2 Timothy 3:16 that “all writing inspired by God [is/are] profitable for teaching, etc” rather than just one groups pet writings. Limitations as to what writing one can use to gain spiritual understanding are personal and somewhat arbitrary.

The discussions also do not often recognize the concept of “personal” canon. That is, that one person or group may find inspiration and spiritual enlightenment in a text that another person rejects outright. This itself is often an arbitrary and fickle thing.

For example, Billiardball (in the "perfection thread") firmly rejected historical references to the texts known as the Apostolic Fathers until he thought he found references in them that supported his point of view. At that point, he quotes them. Then, once it was shown the text did not support that theory, his sudden appreciation of their historical authority, seemed to evaporate. Similarly, all of us tend to like and use texts that seem to confirm our point of view.

This “personal” nature of a “personal” canon seems to go unrecognized in these discussions as well as the degree that the New Testament is dependent upon other texts. For examples, the writer of Jude quotes from the Book of enoch as scripture : “
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints (New Testament Jude 1:14) The New Testament is quoting Enoch.

It is not just New Testament Jude who quotes from Enoch in the New Testament Text, The Apostles and Jesus allude to Enochian Literature. When we are reading the New Testament Text, we are reading from Enoch. Most of us simply were unaware of this.

For example : R.H. Charles pointed out over 127 quotes or allusions TO Enoch in the New Testament Text alone. Though it may not be sacred, inspired text to a modern individual who uses a modern western canon, Enoch still remains firmly inside the modern eastern Old Testament Christian Canon (having 81 books). Their Enoch IS, for example, still scripture to the 45 million Christians in the Ethiopian Church (and others who use the eastern Old Testament). We cannot allow ourselves insular and parochial thinking if we are to consider ancient history with any accuracy..

The Book of Enoch was extremely popular sacred text among BOTH Jews and Christians.
For example : The Dead Sea Scroll library of approx 1200 texts contained more copies of Enoch than almost any other non psalm/non pentatuch texts and such texts WERE certainly authoritative to them since they quote them so often as scripture and since they have become part of the New Testament.

Actually, we are not speaking merely of the “Ancients” who used such books as sacred texts, nor are we speaking merely of Enoch. For examples : When Erasmus debates Luther in the famous tischreden, he quotes from SIRACH, (AND, Erasmus specifically argues that it is “authoritative”).

I thought Jaybird was astute in his recent observation that rabbinic Judaism accepted and used parts of apocrypha as authoritative in the Talmud. For example, Sirach is quoted by Rabbis and it is cited authoritatively in the Talmud. For example, R. Eleazar quotes Sirach in attempting to justify the prohibition against Jews inquiring into pre-creation found in the Talmud.

A study of various books singly reveals some were very, very popular. A quick look at 4th Ezra demonstrates some historical context we are dealing with. For example, 4th Ezra was wildly popular and had an extremely wide theological influence even beyond the reformers.

Bishop Latimer was about to be burned at the Stake (I think in 1555), he refers to Ezra 14:25. When individuals quote him ("We shall this day light such a candle, by God’s grace in England, as I trust shall never be put out.") they simply are unaware of that he (and they) are quoting 4th Ezra.

Christopher Columbus quotes scripture to the Sovereigns of Spain to encourage them to lend financial support for his voyages : “
On the third day you commanded the waters to be gathered together in the seventh part of the earth; six parts you dried up and kept so that some of them might be planted and cultivated and be of service before you

Columbus is using this scripture to support his planned voyage, the potential length of which is partly estimated by use of this scripture. Columbus is quoting 4th Ezra. In fact, Columbus calculates his voyage and it’s expected length based on this scripture. He placed his life in jeopardy based on his belief in the texts accuracy.

The Great William Whiston (Isaac Newton’s successor) issued 90 scriptural proofs that the end of the age was near. One third of these come from 4th Ezra alone.

Milton, the great writer who “knew all things hebrew”, repeatedly references Ezra in his writings. The examples can go on and on. The point is, that such people believed such texts were sacred; they put their faith in such texts as sacred; and they used such text to create, support and to discuss their personal theologies.

We, as individuals might not use the same texts as they did, but historically, one cannot argue that the earlier Jews and Christians did not use multiple texts as religious authority in trying to make sense of what God was intending and how mortality fit into those plans and they used them to teach their theology to others.

Clear
δρτζτωδρω

Last edited:

Didachist

To me the bible is written in Inspiration of God, by men who were inspired by God.

The Bible is a collection of books, it is not 1 single book alone.

It is broken down into two great collections (The Pentateuch and the Gospel) and many other writings.

In my collection of inspired works, I include all of the 72 books known to Catholicism and Orthodoxy, in addition the Didache, the Discalia, Epistle of Barnabas,1st Enoch, Shepherd of Hermas, the Epistle of Diognetus, 1st Clement, I also would include the Agrapha which are the unwritten in bible sayings of Christ as recorded by the fathers of the church. I also question and debate the merits if some portion of the Gospel of Thomas should be included.

Last edited:

jaybird

Please note, I noticed a couple of small mistakes and edited this note 10:26 to correct it.

I don't care to enter the debate as the points have all been debated multiple times before without ever confirming any definitive canon, but I simply wanted to comment on the various adoptions of the many, somewhat arbitrary “canons” of scripture various religious movements have adopted for themselves during the various religious eras.

Just as the Muratorian canon represented one suggestion of one provincial groups' text seen as sacred by one group and not by other groups, I don’t feel any obligation to accept the modern Western Roman Canon as better than the modern eastern canon (which is significantly larger and has different books), or either of these canons over any protestant canon.

It feels as though the various arguments regarding what books should be read and which should be ignored is motivated more by personal feelings rather than by rational or historical thought. The arguments themselves are often peppered with historical inaccuracies used to justify a position. For example, often one sees the erroneous claim that the current books are chosen because of confirmed authorship. In truth, They are all “pseudographic” to the extent that no one knows nor can anyone prove who wrote any book in the old or new testament. Moses obviously did not write about his own death in the 1st book of Moses (“Genesis”) . Authorship was simply attributed by tradition.

I like the concept in 2 Timothy 3:16 that “all writing inspired by God [is/are] profitable for teaching, etc” rather than just one groups pet writings. Limitations as to what writing one can use to gain spiritual understanding are personal and somewhat arbitrary.

The discussions also do not often recognize the concept of “personal” canon. That is, that one person or group may find inspiration and spiritual enlightenment in a text that another person rejects outright. This itself is often an arbitrary and fickle thing.

For example, Billiardball (in the "perfection thread") firmly rejected historical references to the texts known as the Apostolic Fathers until he thought he found references in them that supported his point of view. At that point, he quotes them. Then, once it was shown the text did not support that theory, his sudden appreciation of their historical authority, seemed to evaporate. Similarly, all of us tend to like and use texts that seem to confirm our point of view.

This “personal” nature of a “personal” canon seems to go unrecognized in these discussions as well as the degree that the New Testament is dependent upon other texts. For examples, the writer of Jude quotes from the Book of enoch as scripture : “
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints (New Testament Jude 1:14) The New Testament is quoting Enoch.

It is not just New Testament Jude who quotes from Enoch in the New Testament Text, The Apostles and Jesus allude to Enochian Literature. When we are reading the New Testament Text, we are reading from Enoch. Most of us simply were unaware of this.

For example : R.H. Charles pointed out over 127 quotes or allusions TO Enoch in the New Testament Text alone. Though it may not be sacred, inspired text to a modern individual who uses a modern western canon, Enoch still remains firmly inside the modern eastern Old Testament Christian Canon (having 81 books). Their Enoch IS, for example, still scripture to the 45 million Christians in the Ethiopian Church (and others who use the eastern Old Testament). We cannot allow ourselves insular and parochial thinking if we are to consider ancient history with any accuracy..

The Book of Enoch was extremely popular sacred text among BOTH Jews and Christians.
For example : The Dead Sea Scroll library of approx 1200 texts contained more copies of Enoch than almost any other non psalm/non pentatuch texts and such texts WERE certainly authoritative to them since they quote them so often as scripture and since they have become part of the New Testament.

Actually, we are not speaking merely of the “Ancients” who used such books as sacred texts, nor are we speaking merely of Enoch. For examples : When Erasmus debates Luther in the famous tischreden, he quotes from SIRACH, (AND, Erasmus specifically argues that it is “authoritative”).

I thought Jaybird was astute in his recent observation that rabbinic Judaism accepted and used parts of apocrypha as authoritative in the Talmud. For example, Sirach is quoted by Rabbis and it is cited authoritatively in the Talmud. For example, R. Eleazar quotes Sirach in attempting to justify the prohibition against Jews inquiring into pre-creation found in the Talmud.

A study of various books singly reveals some were very, very popular. A quick look at 4th Ezra demonstrates some historical context we are dealing with. For example, 4th Ezra was wildly popular and had an extremely wide theological influence even beyond the reformers.

Bishop Latimer was about to be burned at the Stake (I think in 1555), he refers to Ezra 14:25. When individuals quote him ("We shall this day light such a candle, by God’s grace in England, as I trust shall never be put out.") they simply are unaware of that he (and they) are quoting 4th Ezra.

Christopher Columbus quotes scripture to the Sovereigns of Spain to encourage them to lend financial support for his voyages : “
On the third day you commanded the waters to be gathered together in the seventh part of the earth; six parts you dried up and kept so that some of them might be planted and cultivated and be of service before you

Columbus is using this scripture to support his planned voyage, the potential length of which is partly estimated by use of this scripture. Columbus is quoting 4th Ezra. In fact, Columbus calculates his voyage and it’s expected length based on this scripture. He placed his life in jeopardy based on his belief in the texts accuracy.

The Great William Whiston (Isaac Newton’s successor) issued 90 scriptural proofs that the end of the age was near. One third of these come from 4th Ezra alone.

Milton, the great writer who “knew all things hebrew”, repeatedly references Ezra in his writings. The examples can go on and on. The point is, that such people believed such texts were sacred; they put their faith in such texts as sacred; and they used such text to create, support and to discuss their personal theologies.

We, as individuals might not use the same texts as they did, but historically, one cannot argue that the earlier Jews and Christians did not use multiple texts as religious authority in trying to make sense of what God was intending and how mortality fit into those plans and they used them to teach their theology to others.

Clear
δρτζτωδρω

thats some good info clear. i think there may have been some debate on the apocrypha in the days of Jesus. i think the priest leadership was corrupt and possibly hiding them or teaching against them. the less books the easier it is to direct the people as you dont want them knowing to much, Christian leadership would do the same years later by making holy scripture unavailable to common men.
we know the Essenes of qumran held these books in high regard and used them in their own theology teaching. when Jesus quotes scripture He always starts with "you have heard, is it not written" but when using teachings from apocrypha He just gives the teaching, same with Jude. what ever questions there were on the validity of the books, i think Jesus and Jude were addressing them. and if false books Jesus and His brother would never use teaching misleading those seeking Him.

metis

Just a reminder that the Catholic Church originally didn't reach a conclusion on the Apocrypha due to a couple of reasons, with one being that Jesus and the apostles didn't quote from them, and the other was a general fear amongst Jews that their rather late writing could possibly be tainted by the Hellenization influence in eretz Israel.

Clear

Premium Member
Jaybird said : “thats some good info clear. i think there may have been some debate on the apocrypha in the days of Jesus. i think the priest leadership was corrupt and possibly hiding them or teaching against them. the less books the easier it is to direct the people as you dont want them knowing to much, Christian leadership would do the same years later by making holy scripture unavailable to common men.
we know the Essenes of qumran held these books in high regard and used them in their own theology teaching. when Jesus quotes scripture He always starts with "you have heard, is it not written" but when using teachings from apocrypha He just gives the teaching, same with Jude. what ever questions there were on the validity of the books, i think Jesus and Jude were addressing them. and if false books Jesus and His brother would never use teaching misleading those seeking Him.
” (post 176)

Hi Jaybird,

I simply wanted to make the point that no one knows for sure who wrote any of the earliest sacred Literature, whether it is any biblical text or the Library at Qumran (Dead Sea Scrolls). I am unaware of any specific essenic literature that tells us how the essenes (i.e. the group described as “essenes” by Josephus) viewed the Qumran literature, or even if they were aware of this library. No one knows who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls. No one has identified any specific author was, or even what group created this library.

The early discoverers found the texts near a settlement at Qumran and simply assumed the settlers were the authors, but this theory is out of favor. One reason is that as the library was examined, there are now more than 1200 books and several hundred different handwriting styles (i.e. writers) that have been identified. However, there were only approx. 300 men, women and Children who lived in the Qumran settlement. Even if 1/2 to 2/3rd were men, and we assume ALL of them were educated scribes and able to write, this still leaves only 150 -200 writers, which does not come close to the number of authors and different scripts discovered in the various texts. If they wrote it, we should see multiple books in the same handwriting (perhaps 6-8 copies in the same handwriting). The data doesn't support this.

I think the theory that these texts represent the ancient Jerusalem Library is probably gaining more popularity at this point. If the copper scroll is authentic (it is an index to where ancient Israels’ national treasures were hidden from the romans), then this theory is probably correct. In fact, Israel just announced more expeditions to explore for more caves and texts since they believe there is much that has not been discovered. We’ll see how that pans out for them.

Also, While I cannot say what any specific canon was for any of the various Jewish Groups at the time of Jesus, if the Talmud is correct, then there were, historically, multiple versions of the Torah at the Time of Josiah.

Lastly, regarding your comment about the Priest leadership and the limitation of information and texts. I cannot say much about the priests and limiting the knowledge of the masses, but the Talmud does tell us that later rabbinic Judaism prohibited any inquiries into certain areas of knowledge (and presumably sacred texts that dealt with those areas of knowledge). For example, they prohibited any study of or inquiries into pre-creation and all themes having to do with this time period. This explains why early Judeo-Christian literature has a great deal to do with this time period and things that happened during this time period, while later, rabbinic Judaism is ignorant of these themes, traditions and understanding.

In any case, Good luck in coming to your own conclusions as to what sort of ancient literature where you will find sacred enlightenment and historical religious understanding.

See you Jaybird.

Clear
δρδρνεσιω

jaybird

Jaybird said : “thats some good info clear. i think there may have been some debate on the apocrypha in the days of Jesus. i think the priest leadership was corrupt and possibly hiding them or teaching against them. the less books the easier it is to direct the people as you dont want them knowing to much, Christian leadership would do the same years later by making holy scripture unavailable to common men.
” (post 176)

Hi Jaybird,

I simply wanted to make the point that no one knows for sure who wrote any of the earliest sacred Literature, whether it is any biblical text or the Library at Qumran (Dead Sea Scrolls). I am unaware of any specific essenic literature that tells us how the essenes (i.e. the group described as “essenes” by Josephus) viewed the Qumran literature, or even if they were aware of this library. No one knows who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls. No one has identified any specific author was, or even what group created this library.

The early discoverers found the texts near a settlement at Qumran and simply assumed the settlers were the authors, but this theory is out of favor. One reason is that as the library was examined, there are now more than 1200 books and several hundred different handwriting styles (i.e. writers) that have been identified. However, there were only approx. 300 men, women and Children who lived in the Qumran settlement. Even if 1/2 to 2/3rd were men, and we assume ALL of them were educated scribes and able to write, this still leaves only 150 -200 writers, which does not come close to the number of authors and different scripts discovered in the various texts. If they wrote it, we should see multiple books in the same handwriting (perhaps 6-8 copies in the same handwriting). The data doesn't support this.

I think the theory that these texts represent the ancient Jerusalem Library is probably gaining more popularity at this point. If the copper scroll is authentic (it is an index to where ancient Israels’ national treasures were hidden from the romans), then this theory is probably correct. In fact, Israel just announced more expeditions to explore for more caves and texts since they believe there is much that has not been discovered. We’ll see how that pans out for them.

Also, While I cannot say what any specific canon was for any of the various Jewish Groups at the time of Jesus, if the Talmud is correct, then there were, historically, multiple versions of the Torah at the Time of Josiah.

Lastly, regarding your comment about the Priest leadership and the limitation of information and texts. I cannot say much about the priests and limiting the knowledge of the masses, but the Talmud does tell us that later rabbinic Judaism prohibited any inquiries into certain areas of knowledge (and presumably sacred texts that dealt with those areas of knowledge). For example, they prohibited any study of or inquiries into pre-creation and all themes having to do with this time period. This explains why early Judeo-Christian literature has a great deal to do with this time period and things that happened during this time period, while later, rabbinic Judaism is ignorant of these themes, traditions and understanding.

In any case, Good luck in coming to your own conclusions as to what sort of ancient literature where you will find sacred enlightenment and historical religious understanding.

See you Jaybird.

Clear
δρδρνεσιω
Shalom Clear!
There are varying opinions on qumran and the essenes for sure. There are traditions that the Nazarenes were essenes. This would link up Jesus and John with the 2 communities, nazarenes could marry and drink, essenes could not. I dont think they called themselves essene, essene was attributed to them from the outside world (just like Christian), I think they called themselves sons of light.They collected spiritual scrolls from all over, which would explain all the different writers. I dont know how the theologians distinguish between the essene works and the works they kept from others. Historians such as Pliny, Philo, and Josephus mention them living close to the dead sea and Jordan river which would put them pretty much where Qumran is. We also know the things the contemporary historians wrote line up with what they wrote about themselves.

We dont have concrete proof but then again we dont have concrete proof on many of the ancient peoples. I believe the essenes were the ones at qumran as I believe the library was found for a reason for those looking for spiritual answers. The connections between Jesus, John, qumran essenes and mt carmel nazarenes are to much to dismiss as coincidence.