• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible as Astrological Allegory

Rational Agnostic

As I study the topic more, I am increasingly convinced that the bible is based upon astrological mythology.

According to astrological myths, a new astrological age begins every 2155 years. There are 12 astrological ages, and so each cycle is completed every 25860 years.

Consider the story of Moses descending from the mountains and seeing the Israelites worshiping a golden calf in Exodus 32. Moses puts a stop to the worship of the golden calf/bull. The supposed chronology of this event corresponds with the end of the astrological age of Taurus (the age of the bull) and the beginning of the astrological age of Aries. In the remainder of the Old Testament, we find various references to rams, which may coincide with the age of Aries, that is, the age of the ram.

However, it gets more interesting. The supposed birth of Jesus, occurs approximately 2155 years after the "golden calf" event in the Old Testament, indicating that the age of pisces begins at the time of Jesus' birth. The Age of Pisces is the age of fish, hence the references to being "fishers of men" and the "fish" symbol being associated with Christianity. In reality, the fish is an astrological symbol representing the age of Pisces. Apparently, Jesus' personality traits are those of a Pisces.

In Luke 22:10: Jesus supposedly states: "Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you bearing a pitcher of water ... follow him into the house where he entereth in."

This could be argued to be a reference to the coming "age of Aquarius", a.k.a. the "water bearer."

So what is the point of all of this? I believe that these are pieces of evidence to support the hypothesis that nearly all of the biblical events are fictional stories used by astrologers as allegory to represent the various astrological myths of older, astrologically based religions. It is perhaps the case that a historical Jesus did not exist, a historical Moses did not exist, and that the events described in the bible are symbolic of myths about astrological ages. I recognize that the evidence I have presented here is not particularly in-depth or detailed. However, it is meant to inspire the reader to consider the idea of the bible as an astrological allegory, and do more research.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Since astrology (with the modern constellations) was invented in the Hellenic age, that might be an issue of sorts. I'm not sure what constellations the Egyptians, Cannanites, and Israelis used, but I would be surprised if they were the same as those from the Greek pantheon.

So, put me at 'skeptical' about this hypothesis.

David T

Premium Member
As I study the topic more, I am increasingly convinced that the bible is based upon astrological mythology.

According to astrological myths, a new astrological age begins every 2155 years. There are 12 astrological ages, and so each cycle is completed every 25860 years.

Consider the story of Moses descending from the mountains and seeing the Israelites worshiping a golden calf in Exodus 32. Moses puts a stop to the worship of the golden calf/bull. The supposed chronology of this event corresponds with the end of the astrological age of Taurus (the age of the bull) and the beginning of the astrological age of Aries. In the remainder of the Old Testament, we find various references to rams, which may coincide with the age of Aries, that is, the age of the ram.

However, it gets more interesting. The supposed birth of Jesus, occurs approximately 2155 years after the "golden calf" event in the Old Testament, indicating that the age of pisces begins at the time of Jesus' birth. The Age of Pisces is the age of fish, hence the references to being "fishers of men" and the "fish" symbol being associated with Christianity. In reality, the fish is an astrological symbol representing the age of Pisces. Apparently, Jesus' personality traits are those of a Pisces.

In Luke 22:10: Jesus supposedly states: "Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you bearing a pitcher of water ... follow him into the house where he entereth in."

This could be argued to be a reference to the coming "age of Aquarius", a.k.a. the "water bearer."

So what is the point of all of this? I believe that these are pieces of evidence to support the hypothesis that nearly all of the biblical events are fictional stories used by astrologers as allegory to represent the various astrological myths of older, astrologically based religions. It is perhaps the case that a historical Jesus did not exist, a historical Moses did not exist, and that the events described in the bible are symbolic of myths about astrological ages. I recognize that the evidence I have presented here is not particularly in-depth or detailed. However, it is meant to inspire the reader to consider the idea of the bible as an astrological allegory, and do more research.
The text is not a map of the territory it is an experience of the territory.

Although if you read it as a map your theory is absolutely valid!

Jung said "thank god i am jung and not jungian"..... I am sure generally the bible writers would have the same opinion.

leov

I repeat myself, Bible is a Gnostic style theological treatise , it means a bit of real events, some myth, may be astrology mixed to create a teaching story.

Wandering Monk

I have had the notion that some of the Bible stories are based on constellations. If you read Genesis chapter 49 you will find references to what could be constellations in Jacob's prophecies about his sons.

Also, bull and goat slaughtering is a big part of the Day of Atonement ritual.

Curiously, the cult of Mithra during the Roman period was built on the story of bull slaughtering.

I heard one notion that this represented the passing of the vernal equinox from the constellation of Taurus to that of Aries.

sooda

Veteran Member

It wasn't 2155 years between Moses and Jesus.

Rational Agnostic

Since astrology (with the modern constellations) was invented in the Hellenic age, that might be an issue of sorts. I'm not sure what constellations the Egyptians, Cannanites, and Israelis used, but I would be surprised if they were the same as those from the Greek pantheon.

So, put me at 'skeptical' about this hypothesis.

I'm skeptical as well. It's an area I started researching very recently, so obviously the claims may be incorrect. Nevertheless, it is interesting to see the parallels.

Milton Platt

I have had the notion that some of the Bible stories are based on constellations. If you read Genesis chapter 49 you will find references to what could be constellations in Jacob's prophecies about his sons.

Also, bull and goat slaughtering is a big part of the Day of Atonement ritual.

Curiously, the cult of Mithra during the Roman period was built on the story of bull slaughtering.

I heard one notion that this represented the passing of the vernal equinox from the constellation of Taurus to that of Aries.
Speculatiion is interesting. But you have failed to connect the dots.