• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible And Science: Insects

Earthling

David Henson
It doesn't. That is the problem.

Why would it have to be so specific for you to understand it? Does it really have to draw you a picture? Or show you a video? If I tell you that I walked on all fours when I was a baby would you then assume that I had four legs, or if I said I hopped on one leg would that imply to you I only had one? That's what doesn't make sense to me. There's no logic in your protestation.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen them turn using four legs and maybe walk a bit on a leaf on four legs.

Most likely because it's being cautious with its legs ready to jump at a moment's notice.
That appears to be the case. They have six that they use to walk. A pair that they use specifically for jumping. And they can walk with the front pro- and mesothoracic legs while leaving the metathoracic legs poised for jumping.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you suggesting that disagreeing with your rationalization means a person is not a Christian or recognizing a flaw in the Bible is attacking it. Should I be dishonest like some and pretend it says something it does not?

This is a good point and cuts both ways. I'm an atheist, but whether the passages in question are accurate or inaccurate tells me nothing about whether God exists.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a good point and cuts both ways. I'm an atheist, but whether the passages in question are accurate or inaccurate tells me nothing about whether God exists.
That is true, but the main point was originally to argue that critics that use the biblical description of insects having four legs as indication of its lack of science scholarship are wrong for doing so. Even though the biblical description clearly indicates that insects have only four legs, while descriptions in science clearly indicate the accurate count of six legs.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That is true, but the main point was originally to argue that critics that use the biblical description of insects having four legs as indication of its lack of science scholarship are wrong for doing so. Even though the biblical description clearly indicates that insects have only four legs, while descriptions in science clearly indicate the accurate count of six legs.

Yup. Personally, I'm uninterested in this particular point. Some people tie their beliefs to funny things, and then get stuck 'dying on that hill', so to speak.

This particular hill doesn't appear to indicate whether God exists or not.

So regardless of belief, it's possible to see this as unimportant.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why would it have to be so specific for you to understand it? Does it really have to draw you a picture? Or show you a video? If I tell you that I walked on all fours when I was a baby would you then assume that I had four legs, or if I said I hopped on one leg would that imply to you I only had one? That's what doesn't make sense to me. There's no logic in your protestation.
Why do you assume that others do not understand the Bible? Odds are many of them that you accuse of this probably understand the Bible better than you do.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. Personally, I'm uninterested in this particular point. Some people tie their beliefs to funny things, and then get stuck 'dying on that hill', so to speak.

This particular hill doesn't appear to indicate whether God exists or not.

So regardless of belief, it's possible to see this as unimportant.
It is part of the belief that the Bible must be inerrant, infallible and true in every word or belief in God falls apart.

It is nothing short of deification as I see it. Something that these vainglorious supporters of the Bible seem to have missed along with the prohibition for doing that.

My point is that I believe, but I am here to discuss the fallacious arguments and claims that others make regardless of belief or not and not make claims about my belief that I cannot support with evidence. That most of these wild claims come from others that identify as believers is not my fault.